a dark chapter in Canada’s history

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
What was the ‘60s Scoop’? Aboriginal children taken from homes a dark chapter in Canada’s history./SIZE]

Thousands of First Nations, Métis and Inuit across Canada who were ripped from their homes as children are getting their day in court after a years-long struggle in what has become known as the “Sixties Scoop,” a painful, but little-understood chapter of Canadian history.

The so-called scoop happened between the 1960s and the 1980s and saw thousands of aboriginal children taken from their homes by child-welfare service workers and placed with mostly non-aboriginal families. In some cases, children were sent to live with families in other provinces, the United States and the U.K., often without the consent of their parents.

A legacy of ‘cultural genocide’

The fallout from the practice has negatively impacted generations of aboriginal Canadians.

The final Truth and Reconciliation Commission report stated “the effects of the residential school experience and the Sixties Scoop have adversely affected parenting skills and the success of many Aboriginal families.”

“By the end of the 1970s, the transfer of children from residential schools was nearly complete in Southern Canada, and the impact of the Sixties Scoop was in evidence across the country,” the TRC said.

“In 1977, Aboriginal children accounted for 44 per cent of the children in care in Alberta, 51 per cent of the children in care in Saskatchewan, and 60 per cent of the children in care in Manitoba.”

What was the ‘60s Scoop’? Aboriginal children taken from homes a dark chapter in Canada’s history | Globalnews.ca

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I am offended by the use of the word 'genocide'. The kids were not rounded up and shot. The government didn't overrun the reservations with tanks and wipe out the population. What they did was remove children from alcoholic, drug addicted parents who spent their money on getting high instead of their kids. Are there factors surrounding the treatment of indians that led to rampant alcoholism and drug addiction within their communities? Yes. Should those issues be addressed? Yes. Did the removal of all those kids make them any safer or less prone to follow the path of their parents into addiction? NO. Was their much abuse and many flaws within the system? Yes. None of that amounts to genocide in any way shape or form. It is simply an inflammatory word tossed about to make it sound far more horrific and malicious than it actually was with the explicit purpose of reaping financial gain.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I am offended by the use of the word 'genocide'. The kids were not rounded up and shot. The government didn't overrun the reservations with tanks and wipe out the population. What they did was remove children from alcoholic, drug addicted parents who spent their money on getting high instead of their kids. Are there factors surrounding the treatment of indians that led to rampant alcoholism and drug addiction within their communities? Yes. Should those issues be addressed? Yes. Did the removal of all those kids make them any safer or less prone to follow the path of their parents into addiction? NO. Was their much abuse and many flaws within the system? Yes. None of that amounts to genocide in any way shape or form. It is simply an inflammatory word tossed about to make it sound far more horrific and malicious than it actually was with the explicit purpose of reaping financial gain.
You should probably look up the Convention on Genocide. Here's a hint: it doesn't require mass murder.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Got a link because the drinking and drugs were probably from after the children were taken.
BTW, your post is full of sh*t and doesn't resemble the truth by any stretch of the imagination.I suppose the Baffin Correctional Center fiasco is the Indian's fault also. It was a social experiment, illegal to say the least but part of the same old crap that seems to be part of a heritage we just can't shake without steam-rolling the whole upper section of our society. Perhaps we need a failed coup to put those wheels into motion.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
You may want to look up the Convention on Genocide, so next time you express your opinion, you won't sound quite so clueless.

Ya...so...it's a f^cking UN document. Means absolutely nothing to me. I mean really, WTF do you all want? An apology? I'm sorry it happened? A trial? Please go find the people who did it and have a trial, I hope the f^ckers get a long sentence. Money? Go f^ck yourself, I'm not giving them a dime, I didn't do anything and should not be held accountable or liable because I wasn't involved.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
You may want to look up the Convention on Genocide, so next time you express your opinion, you won't sound quite so clueless.

Our war against fascism led the more aware of us to discover our own fascism. This country has changed an great deal since those times but there is still a long way to go (... see posts on here).

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Seems to be rather incomplete story. There were strict guidelines for removing children from families even in the 1960s.. regardless of ethnicity. Usually they related to severe alcohol or substance abuse, neglect, abandonment or physical abuse.

This seems to be one of the standard 'systemic' racism stories.. it fits in well with the present mantra of the corrupt white culture infringing on that of the purity of the noble aboriginal. The real story is much more complex.. but has been rejected as it holds the aboriginal culture at least partly responsible for its own predicaments, instead of that of vaunted status of helpless 'victim'.

Last edited:

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
The consequences are quite prevelent here in my area..
we had a catholic disiplinary school for the more unruly of those children back in the day
Many of those local boys have rightly been awarded compensation for the horrendous treatment they received...
when it's close to home it looks different then it does on the screen

things like sexual abuse can't be cured by compansation

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Ya...so...it's a f^cking UN document. Means absolutely nothing to me.
You may want to look up what the Convention on Genocide is (hint: it is not a "UN document." It is a treaty to which Canada is signatory).

I mean really, WTF do you all want? An apology? I'm sorry it happened? A trial? Please go find the people who did it and have a trial, I hope the f^ckers get a long sentence. Money? Go f^ck yourself, I'm not giving them a dime, I didn't do anything and should not be held accountable or liable because I wasn't involved.
What do I want? From you? Nothing. I don't even want equal treatment before the law, because over time I've learned not to want what will not happen.

As to the rest, I would explain some of the law and theory on what Canada, as an entity, may be responsible for, and the difference between and relationship between you as a person and Canada as an entity, but you are obviously too agitated and self-righteous to listen, so, y'know, why bother?

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
You may want to look up what the Convention on Genocide is (hint: it is not a "UN document." It is a treaty to which Canada is signatory).

What do I want? From you? Nothing. I don't even want equal treatment before the law, because over time I've learned not to want what will not happen.

As to the rest, I would explain some of the law and theory on what Canada, as an entity, may be responsible for, and the difference between and relationship between you as a person and Canada as an entity, but you are obviously too agitated and self-righteous to listen, so, y'know, why bother?

I did look it up. It is a UN construct document. The Corporation of the Government of Canada signed it but I do not give them authority or jurisdiction over me so it means nothing.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I did look it up. It is a UN construct document. The Corporation of the Government of Canada signed it but I do not give them authority or jurisdiction over me so it means nothing.

You're free to go live in the wild then. May I recommend Brazil. There you could live comfortably like Tarzan in the rainforest.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
You're free to go live in the wild then. May I recommend Brazil. There you could live comfortably like Tarzan in the rainforest.

I'm actualy free to live wherever the h^ll I like. That's the point of being free. Anyway it's only about another 18 months till I get on my 48ft schooner and head off around the world.

HarperCons

Council Member
Oct 18, 2015
Ya...so...it's a f^cking UN document. Means absolutely nothing to me. I mean really, WTF do you all want? An apology? I'm sorry it happened? A trial? Please go find the people who did it and have a trial, I hope the f^ckers get a long sentence. Money? Go f^ck yourself, I'm not giving them a dime, I didn't do anything and should not be held accountable or liable because I wasn't involved.
white privilege.txt

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Well, the Indians' beef is with the Corporation of the Government of Canada, so it means nothing to you. So why don't you f*ck off to your boat?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The part the PC crowd doesn't like to come out is that many of these kids were taken from remote reserves and brought into towns because of the excessive inbreeding in small communities. The intent was to enlarge the gene pool. In some insances on the coast whole villages were moved. It also happened long before `1960.

Sorry Nick but you are a board member.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
I'm actualy free to live wherever the h^ll I like. That's the point of being free. Anyway it's only about another 18 months till I get on my 48ft schooner and head off around the world.
Whitby 42 Ketch boats for sale - YachtWorld
I crew / party on one of these all the time
(G-Bay, best fresh water cruising in the world they say)
on a boat this size or bigger you can live where ever the hell you want

big holding tanks
so the crap can be saved to be dumped on some dumb lubers front yard

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Seems to be rather incomplete story. There were strict guidelines for removing children from families even in the 1960s.. regardless of ethnicity. Usually they related to severe alcohol or substance abuse, neglect, abandonment or physical abuse.

This seems to be one of the standard 'systemic' racism stories.. it fits in well with the present mantra of the corrupt white culture infringing on that of the purity of the noble aboriginal. The real story is much more complex.. but has been rejected as it holds the aboriginal culture at least partly responsible for its own predicaments, instead of that of vaunted status of helpless 'victim'.
That a pretty interesting post in general. Genocide is the destruction of a culture or way of life that is not a blight on society IMO and this post should reflect that. Human trafficking is the next option if you are looking for a label, the forced abduction of a child from a family that he does not want to leave. Different story if the child wants to be removed and by rights he should have a good understanding of what the place is like that he is going to be moved to.
If you are an Indian YAC is the first step in a long path that leads to permanent incarceration. Off the Reservation welfare clients would be the next ones on the list so it is a pattern in society rather than Indians are just determined to be the bad guy.

How do you think those guidelines came into being, magic or from data where studies were done on a human population? In this particular case the history of the parents would play a role in why they were the way they are in terms of being 'horrific parents'. The residential schools would have been the 'teachers' to those drunken parents (and the ones that were smart enough not to have kids but were still addicts or drunks themselves) and that action is why even in welfare cases it is promoted that the children and parents stay in touch as reconciliation is likely to be a goal down the road, warranted or not.
This kidnapping and torture that follows is finished by putting the child back into the same community with the same parents that are just as drunk and stones as they were when the kids were taken away. The kids would be ripe pickings for smoking cigs and booze, etc. It is a known fact that Indians have no tolerance for booze and with zero attempt by the Government to give them alternatives like 'pop' from Columbia that has a leaf in it rather than a worm in the 'Mexican pop'. The addiction withdrawals to booze might be almost instant and that makes coping with severe injustices possible. That isn't in the best interest of the companies that sell cigs and booze and 'meds', they like lifelong customers. Prior to that it was the elite who were buying the customers but when it became known to be harmful the problem was solved by selling them to somebody lower on the food chain. We did the same with aluminum cookware, we still made it but customers were now 3rd world countries once it was shown to be harmful to the way the brain operated (Hillary C. as an current example of what brain damage looks like)

Fix the parents and the children are raised in a sane environment, including 'Columbia pop' and sales to off Rez people would be strictly controlled to use on the Rez only. Their natural heritage would give them trading patterns to both North and South American products. America's answer to the 'Silk Road' where the European Elite were bringing opium back by the wagon full and it was a drug that was for the EU elite alone, and still is despite what the history in the west says about the opium wars long ago. The only 'war' was the one that kept it out of the possession of the 'commoners'.
The Indians should have mushroom houses where those drugs are to to used if a person wants to. Might be just what the drunks in the welfare system before their kids are taken away. That would mean eliminating the slave trade and that is a whole different ballgame.

Karma in full force as 'Indian drugs' are being used to treat some ailments that cannot be treated at present. Fact rather than fiction, now about those permits for off Rez use.
Psychedelic Drugs to Treat Alcoholics | Soren Dreier