Your thoughts on official unilingualism?

Official Constitutional and federal unilingualism in each province and territory?

• Yes

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • No.

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Other answers.

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I just got challenged on a French Québec forum and need your help.

I proposed that instead of a sovereignty referendum, Québec should have a referendum on official unilingualism in the Constitution and federal administration.

For example, it could propose that the English provisions of the Constitution and federal government administration, packaging and labelling, etc. would not apply to Québec.

I'd pointed out that one advantage would be money saved for the taxpayer. Another would be that Federal employment in Quebec could be more accessible to those who don't know English and so make it more accessible to indigenous and allophone Quebecers too.

Another would be that Québec would no longer be obligated to provide English language education. It would probably still do that but could limit it more to where numbers warrant it for example without any Constitutional obligation to do so.

Another would be that Quebecers could import products from other countries with or without English labelling and so expand consumer choice.

One forum member said he liked the idea but that English Canada would never agree to it.

I explained that English Canadians are just as tired of having French imposed on them as Quebecers are of having English imposed on them.

I'd given the example of an entrepreneur in BC who'd run into the problem of importing US products with no French labelling. He eventually had to quit importing it because it wasn't worth the expense of French translation in BC.

He was still unconvinced, believing that English Canadians would gladly impose French on themselves if that is what it took to impose English on Quebec.

He seems to believe English Canadians are that massochistic. I disagree.

So, who's right? Would you agree to drop English in Quebec and French in the ROC?

I'll post this thread in the other forum too.

Last edited:

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Another would be that Québec would no longer be obligated to provide English language education. It would probably still do that but could limit it more to where numbers warrant it for example without any Constitutional obligation to do so.
Sure, and the rest of Canada can do the same, and not pay for french bilingualism in our schools and government, and could go back to hiring mono lingual people...
and all our road signs would also be in anglais too.

This language BS destroyed the education in my small french community in Ontario where My town had to rape our BILINGUAL highschool to pay for the new separate french high school which was mainly attended by people from OUT OF TOWN who didn't have to pay for the school.
Then the first graduates all had to drop out of post secondary, because their education from the new french high school was so substandard.

and I am metis/french/english myself, so I am not being "racist" about this

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Sure, and the rest of Canada can do the same, and not pay for french bilingualism in our schools and government, and could go back to hiring mono lingual people...
and all our road signs would also be in anglais too.

This language BS destroyed the education in my small french community in Ontario where My town had to rape our BILINGUAL highschool to pay for the new separate french high school which was mainly attended by people from OUT OF TOWN who didn't have to pay for the school.
Then the first graduates all had to drop out of post secondary, because their education from the new french high school was so substandard.

and I am metis/french/english myself, so I am not being "racist" about this

Why don't you vote in the poll.

I believe that I am right, that the problem is the same on both sides and that many English Canadians would support official unilingualism in all levels of government for all provinces.

Let's prove it. That's what the poll is for.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
So, you think that English Quebecers and French residents of other provinces are people not worthy of helping? Does that mean they could pay no taxes, since you want to deny them service?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
So, you think that English Quebecers and French residents of other provinces are people not worthy of helping? Does that mean they could pay no taxes, since you want to deny them service?

The government could still provide the education if it wants to, but it would be longer be constitutionally entrenched. So no more suing Air Canada for a 7-Up for example.

Also, a a French Canadian myself, I can tell you that almost all French outside Québec know English. And those who don't learn it quickly.

Also let's not forget that the Chinese oay taxes too if we wantvtobgo with that argument.

Are the Chinese worthy?

Interesting that people are commenting but nonone is voting.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I wasn't aware that the Chinese were part of the founding linguistic groups of our political history.

Ah, so one's rights are conditional in political power then?

What I find ironic is we have two French speakers in this thread saying yes, go for it we don't need these privileges for ourselves and one English speaker telling us we need this protection.

Queb

Electoral Member
Jun 23, 2013
Drop english in Québec mean:

No more school in english
No more hospital in english
No more college in english
No more laws translation in english
No more Police in english
No more justice in english
No more unversity in english
No more government services in english
No more city services in english
No more ambulance in english
no more english except for your personal live if you want.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Bonjour, Québ.

No more English-printed money....

One step at a time.

The first step is official unilingualism. That alone would need a trnssion period to get used to.

And if the goal is economic efficiency, a common currency would be useful.

no more english except for your personal live if you want.

I can agree to all if that but would like to see more freedom in the private sector in exchange.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario

no more english except for your personal live if you want.[/QUOTE

If that's what Quebec wants, fine with me.
The thing is, It would seriously impede any progress at all in Quebec. The business world demands the English language. And I believe it would be out of line with the rest of the Canadian Constitution, not that that has ever bothered Quebec! Quebec would be one of the few places in the world that does not offer English as an alternative.
With all the serious problems faced in the world today, haggling about official language is a waste of time.
After all the years that Quebec has been a Canadian Province it has had plenty of time to learn English and in fact most Quebeckers can speak English. The young people in particular want to speak English as they are more mobile and travel outside the Province and around the world frequently. .
I think Quebec is shooting itself in the foot with this issue.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

The thing is, It would seriously impede any progress at all in Quebec. The business world demands the English language. And I believe it would be out of line with the rest of the Canadian Constitution, not that that has ever bothered Quebec! Quebec would be one of the few places in the world that does not offer English as an alternative.
With all the serious problems faced in the world today, haggling about official language is a waste of time.

He was talking about the public sector, not private. The private sector could go on in English, maybe even more so than now since English would no longer threaten French.

Also, I've lived abroad and can say that most places don't offer English.

And yes, it would require Constitutional change.

But English Canada could benefit too, more access to international English markets. And Quebec, more access to international French markets.

Queb

Electoral Member
Jun 23, 2013

After all the years that Quebec has been a Canadian Province it has had plenty of time to learn English and in fact most Quebeckers can speak English. The young people in particular want to speak English as they are more mobile and travel outside the Province and around the world frequently. .
I think Quebec is shooting itself in the foot with this issue.
There is no question of not doing business with the rest of the world and stop the teaching of English as a second language. English is undoubtedly the international language of trade. We speak about common services to angliophones that live in Quebec

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
You see When, except for one respondent, everyone agreed with the proposal or was at least not entirely opposed to the idea.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
There, I voted, and I disagree.

F we have English as the official language federally, that would mean all federal services would only be available in English. How are the québécois going to like that?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Or would only apply to the rest of Canada, as we all know the québécois really don't give a rats a$$ about French Canadians out side of la belle province.

Now answer the question, or will this be another one you skirt around and don't answer.

Queb

Electoral Member
Jun 23, 2013
You see When, except for one respondent, everyone agreed with the proposal or was at least not entirely opposed to the idea.
Let people realize the implications of such a situation.

It would be a law 101 to the power 10. Bill 101 is seen as the worst indignities done to the Quebec anglophone while this law does restraindre only access to English primary and secondary schools for immigrants.

The loss of services for all English speaking people is something else. ;-)

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Bill 101 is draconian and contrary to the Canadian constitution. That, however, has never been the concern of the self centred québécois.