One year ago, Harper, master of all he surveyed, called an election

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
What could possibly go wrong?

At the time of Mr. Harper’s visit to Rideau Hall, he was thought by the entire political commentariat to be the Smartest Man in Canada, and his idea of an 11-week election campaign was seen as a stroke of pure political genius.

It was the longest campaign in modern Canadian history, the media kept telling us – which is the kind of thing superlative-loving journalists come up with when the thing in question isn’t actually quite the longest.

With the deepest pockets and what we’d all been advised repeatedly to think of as the most brilliant political team, enhanced by election rules freshly rewritten to benefit the PM’s Conservative Party, Mr. Harper and his political brain trust called the election earlier than necessary or traditional so they could double the cash limits that would have applied during a traditional campaign and spend those other parties into oblivion.

NDP leader Thomas Mulcair, then the leader of the Opposition, had been described for months as an angry old man. Youthful Liberal leader Justin Trudeau, we were told, just wasn’t ready, and neither was the Parliamentary third party he led. What a loser, we’d been instructed, over and over.

Mainstream media commentators enthused about how the vast Tory war chest and the new rules designed to tilt the playing field in their favour would ensure the continuation of Mr. Harper’s rule. “Harper stands to become the first prime minister since Sir Wilfrid Laurier in 1908 to win four consecutive elections,” the National Post panted with enthusiasm.

Mr. Harper himself, smarmily and smugly told the media that it didn’t really matter when he called the election. “In terms of the advantages this party has, in terms of the fact that we are a better financed political party, a better organized political party and better supported by Canadians, those advantages exist whether we call this campaign or not.”

The Canadian right has been having a protracted tantrum ever since. Never mind interim Opposition Leader Rona Ambrose’s weak, if reasonably civilized, performance. Read the rantings of their Outrage Machine on social media for a glimpse of the state of fury that has engulfed the Canadian conservative movement.

Canadian Conservatives seem to be waiting, teeth grinding and prayers wending upward to the Almighty, for Donald Trump to be elected south of the Medicine Line show that Trudeau punk a thing or two.

But for the rest of us – and that is a pretty comfortable majority across Canada – no one can deny this has been a far happier country since Mr. Harper slipped out the back door of Parliament and schlumped off into the sunset, which is thought in Alberta Conservative circles to take place every night somewhere just west of Bragg Creek where the edge of the world is located.

Of course, there is plenty of fault to find in the way Mr. Trudeau is running the country, but it’s a sign of how happy Canadians are with the new state of affairs that the old Harper brain trust seems to have given up on federal politics entirely and migrated en masse to Alberta in hopes of re-establishing a Tory redoubt here in oil country.

They reason, I suppose, that if they can only re-unite the Alberta right under the unlikely and uncharismatic Jason Kenney, push Premier Rachel Notley’s New Democrats out of power and get their prayers for higher oil prices answered in a timely enough fashion, they can try to stoke the fires regionalism and erect the firewalls of alienation to undermine the federal government.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Trudeau was in Vancouver again yesterday, welcomed back to the Pride Parade with his wife and kids, where they were generally acknowledged to be the stars of a show attended by half a million people, most of them smiling.
Eventually, as always happens, Canadians will tire of Mr. Trudeau and his government, even if the Liberals never really stopped being Canada’s Natural Governing Party.

But the honeymoon will probably take longer than the pundits predict and the Tories pray because we Canadians still have the image of what a decade of Conservative Party government looks like, looming large in our collective rearview mirror.

rabble.ca | News for the rest of us

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/c...post-conservatives-salty.html?highlight=salty

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
Harper lost with the party pretty much in one piece. You can't say the same for Mulroney or Chretien.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I like some Conservative ideas, like free trade for example. But when the Liberals appear at least just as free-trade as if not more than te Conservatives, the CPC loses its monopoly on that front. Then there was the xenophobia and priorities. Who cares how a woman dresses at an immigration ceremony as long as she's not strutting naked?

Then there is the matter of balancing the books. The Liberals turned me off of their promise to ingore balancing the books. But again the Conservatives had no monopoly on that with the NDP promising the same. Plus the CPC had already been in power and still hadn't done so, making the CPC less credible on that front. At the the NDP had not yet been given a chance. Though the NDP seemed too eager to spend too, which could have meant extreme tax increases. But I'd still prefer that to growing debt.

Mulcair seemed more pro-free-trade than traditional Dippers too which helped. And neither the Liberals nor the Dippers seemed to harber he same degree of xenophobia as Harper did.

All in all, the CPC had no monopoly on many of its strong points but then held the monopoly on its weaknesses. Not a good place to be when trying to win an election.

Had there been a Libertarian candidate in my riding, he would have stood a chance, maybe.

What turns me off the Libertarian Party more than anything though is the ambiguity of its platform. It makes sweeping comments that are hard to disagree with but completely lacking in detail as to how to get from A to B.

For example, if a Party just stated in its platform, 'We'll end discriminaton.' Okay, great, can't disagree with that, but how precisely are you gong to accomplish this? What's the game plan? What's the strategy? What specific laws will to propose to accomplish this?

Much of the Libertarian Party's platform is of that nature. However, I think it has potential if it can just develop its platform towards more precision. Until then, people will hesitate to vote for vagueries.

Should the Libertarian Party improve, it might take away a portion of both the left and right vote. Few Canadians are Libertarian. Heck, even I'm not one altogether. But I do believe that the Libertarian Party has the potential to at least make itself a balance of power party if it developes its platform well.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
His growing the national debt.
His picking on a Muslim immigrant (and immigrants in general).

Of course Trudeau is even worse on the first front, but just saying.
It's painful for you Libs when you get what you wish for.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
It's painful for you Libs when you get what you wish for.

I never voted Libderal, nor even for a Liberal Party candidate. I say that since even if I woudl have voted for a Liberal Party candidate, I would not necessarily have been voting for his party. As usual, I'd voted for a losing candidate. I don't plan for it, it just happens that way each time. I have yet to vote for a winning candidate, probably because I vote for the best candidate, not 'strategically' which I refuse to do.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I just love it that Harper still lives rent free in the heads of the usual suspects.

.... What's even better is that there aren't any real accomplishments by Trudeau and the Liberals that merit any media attention, hence the reason that the focus still remains on a leader that actually got things done

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
I will miss Master Harper like I miss a hemorrhoid his government policies was a pain in the ???

With a name like ' Liberalman' I am sure you voted for Martin, Dion, and that harvard guy. I have no doubt that you are happy to see Harper gone.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
montreal simon is the biggest fanboi of this ailment but others do play along to be popular I 'spose. :lol:

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
What could possibly go wrong?

At the time of Mr. Harper’s visit to Rideau Hall, he was thought by the entire political commentariat to be the Smartest Man in Canada, and his idea of an 11-week election campaign was seen as a stroke of pure political genius.

It was the longest campaign in modern Canadian history, the media kept telling us – which is the kind of thing superlative-loving journalists come up with when the thing in question isn’t actually quite the longest.

With the deepest pockets and what we’d all been advised repeatedly to think of as the most brilliant political team, enhanced by election rules freshly rewritten to benefit the PM’s Conservative Party, Mr. Harper and his political brain trust called the election earlier than necessary or traditional so they could double the cash limits that would have applied during a traditional campaign and spend those other parties into oblivion.

NDP leader Thomas Mulcair, then the leader of the Opposition, had been described for months as an angry old man. Youthful Liberal leader Justin Trudeau, we were told, just wasn’t ready, and neither was the Parliamentary third party he led. What a loser, we’d been instructed, over and over.

Mainstream media commentators enthused about how the vast Tory war chest and the new rules designed to tilt the playing field in their favour would ensure the continuation of Mr. Harper’s rule. “Harper stands to become the first prime minister since Sir Wilfrid Laurier in 1908 to win four consecutive elections,” the National Post panted with enthusiasm.

Mr. Harper himself, smarmily and smugly told the media that it didn’t really matter when he called the election. “In terms of the advantages this party has, in terms of the fact that we are a better financed political party, a better organized political party and better supported by Canadians, those advantages exist whether we call this campaign or not.”

The Canadian right has been having a protracted tantrum ever since. Never mind interim Opposition Leader Rona Ambrose’s weak, if reasonably civilized, performance. Read the rantings of their Outrage Machine on social media for a glimpse of the state of fury that has engulfed the Canadian conservative movement.

Canadian Conservatives seem to be waiting, teeth grinding and prayers wending upward to the Almighty, for Donald Trump to be elected south of the Medicine Line show that Trudeau punk a thing or two.

But for the rest of us – and that is a pretty comfortable majority across Canada – no one can deny this has been a far happier country since Mr. Harper slipped out the back door of Parliament and schlumped off into the sunset, which is thought in Alberta Conservative circles to take place every night somewhere just west of Bragg Creek where the edge of the world is located.

Of course, there is plenty of fault to find in the way Mr. Trudeau is running the country, but it’s a sign of how happy Canadians are with the new state of affairs that the old Harper brain trust seems to have given up on federal politics entirely and migrated en masse to Alberta in hopes of re-establishing a Tory redoubt here in oil country.

They reason, I suppose, that if they can only re-unite the Alberta right under the unlikely and uncharismatic Jason Kenney, push Premier Rachel Notley’s New Democrats out of power and get their prayers for higher oil prices answered in a timely enough fashion, they can try to stoke the fires regionalism and erect the firewalls of alienation to undermine the federal government.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Trudeau was in Vancouver again yesterday, welcomed back to the Pride Parade with his wife and kids, where they were generally acknowledged to be the stars of a show attended by half a million people, most of them smiling.
Eventually, as always happens, Canadians will tire of Mr. Trudeau and his government, even if the Liberals never really stopped being Canada’s Natural Governing Party.

But the honeymoon will probably take longer than the pundits predict and the Tories pray because we Canadians still have the image of what a decade of Conservative Party government looks like, looming large in our collective rearview mirror.

rabble.ca | News for the rest of us

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/c...post-conservatives-salty.html?highlight=salty

Considering Harper won every election on his ability to split the left. How could he have predicted Trudeau would steal all of the feminist vote from the NDP exactly the way I predicted he would?

I guess one thing Harper was missing is me as his campaign manager. Sucks to be him.