Pipelines are the nation-building opportunity of our time

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
As Canada Day celebrations begin, I find myself thinking about our country’s outstanding history of nation building. The construction of Canada’s first transcontinental railway comes to mind as the most important national infrastructure project of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Started back in 1881 by Canada’s first prime minister, Sir John A. Macdonald, Canada embarked on its first nation-building experience. The project was a bold and ambitious plan that ultimately unified and strengthened the country. The railroad promised social and economic prosperity, while sending a strong message to the United States that Canada was not interested in becoming just another state in the union.

On Nov. 7, 1885, the final spike was laid at Craigellachie, B.C., completing a 1,600-kilometre railroad linking together western and eastern Canada. The project required tremendous political courage and leadership, but the results were worth the effort. It crossed party lines and the country was focused on what it could become – a great nation of the north.

mo

Scholz: Pipelines are the nation-building opportunity of our time | Calgary Herald

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Good luck finding political courage these days.
Politicians are too worried someone that doesn't count might be offended to do what is right.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The country was built on the genocide of the indigenous peoples and the theft of their lands. Fukk colonialism and the tards that support it

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
The country was built on the genocide of the indigenous peoples and the theft of their lands. Fukk colonialism and the tards that support it

FFS Cliffy give it a rest. For one day of the year could you please keep your continuous harping to yourself. Please.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

Notice that it says "free to oppose what I believe is wrong. What happened to freedom of speech?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Well folks we are finally...................finally going to get an answer on at least one of the pipelines............in about 20 minutes from now. I do not expect the Northern Gateway to get approval nor do I support approval of that line mainly because of the company - Enbridge - who have not proven to be either trustworthy or diligent in their duty to protect the land.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
6 minutes to Ecofascist heartbreak.

FFS Cliffy give it a rest. For one day of the year could you please keep your continuous harping to yourself. Please.

Aren't you glad you have all your faculties and more in comparison to Cliff who is of similar vintage?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
6 minutes to Ecofascist heartbreak.

Aren't you glad you have all your faculties and more in comparison to Cliff who is of similar vintage?

Well that is somewhat debatable on my part, pete............there are times when I can't find my glasses only to see them on top of my head when I happen to pass by a mirror. :lol:

Line 3 and the Kinder Morgan line should go through though I expect, knowing this leftie government, that a nod in favor will come with hundreds of new provisos.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
~ there was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real. ~ Gordon Lightfoot.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Notice that it says "free to oppose what I believe is wrong. What happened to freedom of speech?

"The country was built on the genocide of the indigenous peoples and the theft of their lands. Fukk colonialism and the tards that support it"

Uh.........that would be a big NO, Cliffy.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Well that is somewhat debatable on my part, pete............there are times when I can't find my glasses only to see them on top of my head when I happen to pass by a mirror. :lol:

Line 3 and the Kinder Morgan line should go through though I expect, knowing this leftie government, that a nod in favor will come with hundreds of new provisos.

O&G workers are leftie Unionists.

Ecofascists fail to remember that those needing work are lefties too.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
People were behind the 2 WW's also but I don't see having a 3rd one as being a way to kick-start a stagnant economy.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Okay here we go..............blah, blah, blah.......climate change.....blah blah.......duty to the kids...........blah blah blah............NO to Northern Gateway. GO to Kinder Morgan. Go for Line 3

157 binding conditions on Kinder Morgan approval

"...pipelines safer than rail"

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Moratorium on crude oil tanker traffic...............will introduce law to make that binding

I applaud the government on this decision............took them long enough but in the end they got it right.