Canadian MP Decides to Fast for Ramadan, Receives Praise Worldwide

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Real leadership.

Canadian MP Decides to Fast for Ramadan, Receives Praise Worldwide

Holland is the Liberal Party’s representative in the district of Ajax, Ontario. He served from 2006 to 2011 and was reelected in 2015.

In his address to the House of Commons last week, Holland stated: “Mr. Speaker, next week there will be hundreds of thousands of Canadians who will be celebrating Ramadan… I want to take this opportunity to wish all those who are celebrating Ramadan, Ramadan Mubarak. Last year, I had the opportunity to fast for the entire period of Ramadan. It is something I am going to do again in support of a charity called Give 30. People take the money that they save from fasting every day and give it to those in need, particularly food banks.”

“When I fasted, it was an incredible experience to feel what it was like to be hungry. Of course, I got relief at the end of the day, but for many children, unfortunately, in Canada and around the world, that relief never comes. [Give30] gives an opportunity to reflect upon that and use the power of Ramadan to help others.”

Founded by Ziyaad Mia in 2012, Give30 facilitates direct donations to food banks across Canada during the month of Ramadan. The organization hopes that Muslims and non-Muslims alike will use the month of Ramadan to empathize with those who are plagued by hunger and thirst year-round. Mia’s initiative has raised over $300,000 USD since 2012. In the first four days of Ramadan this year, Give30 raised $17,557 USD.

Holland’s decision to observe Ramadan has received international attention. Queen Noor al Hussein of Jordan tweeted her support of his decision on Friday, and a Facebook video of his speech received over 5 million views and 107 thousand likes.

Holland is the Liberal Party’s representative in the district of Ajax, Ontario. He served from 2006 to 2011 and was reelected in 2015.

In his address to the House of Commons last week, Holland stated: “Mr. Speaker, next week there will be hundreds of thousands of Canadians who will be celebrating Ramadan… I want to take this opportunity to wish all those who are celebrating Ramadan, Ramadan Mubarak. Last year, I had the opportunity to fast for the entire period of Ramadan. It is something I am going to do again in support of a charity called Give 30. People take the money that they save from fasting every day and give it to those in need, particularly food banks.”

“When I fasted, it was an incredible experience to feel what it was like to be hungry. Of course, I got relief at the end of the day, but for many children, unfortunately, in Canada and around the world, that relief never comes. [Give30] gives an opportunity to reflect upon that and use the power of Ramadan to help others.”

Founded by Ziyaad Mia in 2012, Give30 facilitates direct donations to food banks across Canada during the month of Ramadan. The organization hopes that Muslims and non-Muslims alike will use the month of Ramadan to empathize with those who are plagued by hunger and thirst year-round. Mia’s initiative has raised over $300,000 USD since 2012. In the first four days of Ramadan this year, Give30 raised $17,557 USD.

Holland’s decision to observe Ramadan has received international attention. Queen Noor al Hussein of Jordan tweeted her support of his decision on Friday, and a Facebook video of his speech received over 5 million views and 107 thousand likes.

Canadian MP Decides to Fast for Ramadan, Receives Support Worldwide

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
This is an observation. It is not an approval, nor a condemnation.

mentalfloss, from my observations, your postings are generated for one of two reasons: Agitation or naiveté. I'd like to think that it is the latter, but most of your posts are provocative, as are your responses to those who answer you. You remind me of many students I've had through my years of teaching. That is expected of youthful enthusiasm, but as we age, this rawness should evolve.

Many people, myself included, have started presentations/lectures/addresses with a statement designed to shock the crowd. It grabs their attention. After the introduction, your job is to keep things on track. As the one who begins or leads a discussion, you do not remain at centre stage. You stand back, speaking only when things drift off topic, or to provide reliable facts or additional information.

Inflammatory remarks in a debate serve no purpose - unless that purpose is to see how many people you can anger. That is juvenile, and was something I used to witness on a regular basis in my classes. Contradiction without substantiation quickly degrades into a purposeless shouting match.

So I will ask some questions to keep things on track.

Leadership knows no party. Why do you say that this MP's decision to fast is real leadership? How did you come to this conclusion? Would you do the same thing, or suggest that others try it? Why?

Since this was posted in the Can Pol section, and based on your previous articles, I thought that it was put here to incite Conservative supporters. Since you didn't explain your statement, perhaps you can expand on, or explain the reason why you posted the article.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
So what would you like to discuss? What parts of this article would you expand upon? Why is fasting something that a real leader might do? Is this man demonstrating the qualities of leadership? If so, what are they?

I wonder why you would think this is good to know. What was in about the article that caught your interest? Why do you think that others might enjoy it, or wish to discuss the contents?

Kick off the discussion.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
So what would you like to discuss? What parts of this article would you expand upon? Why is fasting something that a real leader might do? Is this man demonstrating the qualities of leadership? If so, what are they?

I wonder why you would think this is good to know. What was in about the article that caught your interest? Why do you think that others might enjoy it, or wish to discuss the contents?

Kick off the discussion.

How this is good for our country.

The importance of learning about survival through fasting.

How to accept other cultures instead of making knee jerks reactions like conbots do.

Frankiedoodle

Electoral Member
Aug 21, 2015
Saskatchewan
I found the article interesting. I thought that the header noting "real leadership" was what Holland was showing. He wasn't just getting up and giving a speech about Ramadan, he is actually experiencing it. Plus noting Give30.
Do we always have to yell at each other.

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
Fuc*&^n pinhead, did he starve all day and eat all night? What an idiot, I certainly hope I'm not paying this fools salary.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I found the article interesting. I thought that the header noting "real leadership" was what Holland was showing. He wasn't just getting up and giving a speech about Ramadan, he is actually experiencing it. Plus noting Give30.
Do we always have to yell at each other.

Well put.

I'm thinking of trying this next year.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
When I fasted, it was an incredible experience to feel what it was like to be hungry.
44 and had never been hungry before?

Just wait until he discovers thirst.

I'm hungry a couple times a day. What am I doing wrong?

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Did he fast for Lent?

Apparently, he fasted for Lent on the fifth race.

How this is good for our country.

The importance of learning about survival through fasting.

How to accept other cultures instead of making knee jerks reactions like conbots do.

Why do you think this is good for our country? What is it about fasting that makes you think people would gain from it? Starving oneself isn't pleasant. I used to do this when I was with the service, stationed in Europe. There were long periods where I could not eat. I found it uncomfortable. Having only water and dry biscuits to eat for two weeks was not a highlight of my life.

This next part is a jab that has no place in your original post.

"How to accept other cultures instead of making knee jerks reactions like conbots do."

The subject of the article is about an MP who was praised when he decided to fast for Ramadan. He has decided to do it again. I saw no invitations made to anyone else, regardless of party, to participate. Since Conservatives weren't mentioned in the article, why would you choose to add them to your response, with the suggestion that they make 'knee jerk reactions'?

You wandered off topic, and tried (unsuccessfully I might add) to denigrate Conservatives for knee jerk reactions. That implied they don't care or wouldn't support what you did. This statement would have been fair game had they been asked to participate, but refused. The invitation was never extended, so why they would be knee jerking was not apparent to me. I doubt that it was apparent to anyone else either.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Apparently, he fasted for Lent on the fifth race.

Why do you think this is good for our country? What is it about fasting that makes you think people would gain from it? Starving oneself isn't pleasant. I used to do this when I was with the service, stationed in Europe. There were long periods where I could not eat. I found it uncomfortable. Having only water and dry biscuits to eat for two weeks was not a highlight of my life.

This next part is a jab that has no place in your original post.

"How to accept other cultures instead of making knee jerks reactions like conbots do."

The subject of the article is about an MP who was praised when he decided to fast for Ramadan. He has decided to do it again. I saw no invitations made to anyone else, regardless of party, to participate. Since Conservatives weren't mentioned in the article, why would you choose to add them to your response, with the suggestion that they make 'knee jerk reactions'?

You wandered off topic, and tried (unsuccessfully I might add) to denigrate Conservatives for knee jerk reactions. That implied they don't care or wouldn't support what you did. This statement would have been fair game had they been asked to participate, but refused. The invitation was never extended, so why they would be knee jerking was not apparent to me. I doubt that it was apparent to anyone else either.
I think your reasoned and intelligent posts are leaving someone speechless .

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Well put.

I'm thinking of trying this next year.
Why wait? You've pretty much got all summer to join in.
Besides, if you were into religious fasting and sh*t, you could have taken part in Lent.

By the way, the headline should read, "Typical politician panders to current flavor of the month."