liberals knew $30M Shoal Lake road project could cost $52M when they announced it

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
wut? shiny pony lied? can't be. :lol:

Internal documents from the Department of Indigenous and Northern Affairs obtained by CBC show that when funding for a much-needed road to the isolated Shoal Lake 40 First Nation was announced last December, government officials knew the costs would be much higher than the $30 million estimate cited publicly.

A concept-phase early estimate for the Shoal Lake 40 Freedom Road dated Dec.1, 2015, obtained through a federal access to information request pegged the full cost at $52.47 million. The estimate has since been revised down to $46.5 million.

But that is still $16.5 million higher than the original estimate of $30 million. That number was cited in December when the mayor of Winnipeg, the premier of Manitoba and federal minister of indigenous affairs announced a three-way funding split for the building of the road.

There is no agreement yet on how the extra costs will be covered, but Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he's still committed to getting the road built.

"I was in Shoal Lake a few weeks ago, and I expressed my commitment to the people of Shoal Lake that we were going to get the road built," Trudeau said Friday.

mo

Government officials knew $30M Shoal Lake road project could cost $52M when they announced it, documents show - Aboriginal - CBC

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
No surprise. that is how many projects get done. The coat is lowballed and the real price isn't revieled until it is too late to stop.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I saw a town where tender documentation for the new police station just covered footing, foundation, walls and roof. Everything else was an extra. Final cost was well over twice what was tendered. Government work or scam....

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I saw a town where tender documentation for the new police station just covered footing, foundation, walls and roof. Everything else was an extra. Final cost was well over twice what was tendered. Government work or scam....

Apparently a Hyndu Snota will run ya $140 bi-weekly. Affordable until you insure and tank up.

It still beats transit tho.