Ontario Liberals are stonewalling their own government’s budget watchdog

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
wynneing!

Ontario’s ministries are keeping information from the government’s own financial accountability officer that he needs to do his job, he said Tuesday morning.

Stephen LeClair has been in the job just over a year, doing a similar thing in Ontario as the parliamentary budget officer does federally: He double-checks the government’s budget figures and gives his own take on its projections and assumptions when new programs are being put together.

He answers to the legislature, like the province’s ombudsman or its auditor-general. But he needs information from the executive — the premier and her ministers and the people who work for them.

“The difficulties I have faced in accessing the information my office needs to produce relevant and timely analyses are much greater than I expected they would be,” LeClair said. “Ministries have repeatedly refused to provide my office with information on grounds that are not founded in my enabling legislation.”

mo

Ontario Liberals are stonewalling their own government’s budget watchdog, he says | National Post

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Wynne's an a-hole. How's that for being specific.

That's, actually, not being very specific.

Anyway, he's complaining about a policy which hasn't even been fully revealed yet.

That doesn’t make much sense.

It looks like NP just shat this out to give 1010 something to talk about instead of climate change tomorrow.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
That's, actually, not being very specific.

Anyway, he's complaining about a policy which hasn't even been fully revealed yet.

That doesn’t make much sense.

It looks like NP just shat this out to give 1010 something to talk about instead of climate change tomorrow.

All he has to say is everything the government says is, was and will be a complete lie and fabrication only to believed by stupid libtard ideologues and everything will cost 10x more than announced. He will be accurate and will have done his job.