Jack MacLaren says he's more careful and conscious after sensitivity training

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Jack MacLaren says he's more careful and conscious after sensitivity training

An eastern Ontario MPP who was asked to take sensitivity training instead of being at Queen's Park after telling a controversial joke says he's learned a lot about how to be more conscious and careful.

Jack MacLaren was at a "men's night" fundraiser in his riding of Carleton-Mississippi Mills in March when he told a sexual joke about Liberal MP Karen McCrimmon and her husband.

When that came to light, along with fake endorsements on his website, Progressive Conservative leader Patrick Brown demoted MacLaren from his role as the regional representative in the party's caucus, then asked him to stay away from Queen's Park so he could take sensitivity training.

MacLaren said Saturday night at an event organized by his supporters he's finished that training and it was a "positive experience."

"I must admit I did have things to learn and I did learn something from it: that we have be more conscious of the things we say and that sometimes inadvertently we can say words that might offend someone even when no intention to offend is met," he said.

"I learned a lot from it."

Learned about jokes

MacLaren, first elected in 2011, said the training included examples of what's appropriate and inappropriate to say around different groups of people.

He said he'll now choose his words more carefully and be more considerate.

"Jokes in particular can be taken the wrong way by some people," he said.

"Even though they're meant in good humour and good fun and not meant with any sense of hurt, a joke can be taken the wrong way, so we have to be very conscious of who we're speaking to and be confident the audience would receive a joke with the way it was intended."

MacLaren went on to give 15 minute speech about acceptance and diversity to a crowd of just under 200 people at the Intercultural Dialogue Institute in Kanata, saying also he'll be running again next provincial election.

He wouldn't say when he'll be back at Queen's Park, just that "it's sooner now than it was a few weeks ago."

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/ottawa/jack-maclaren-mpp-joke-sensitivity-training-1.3605433

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
"I must admit I did have things to learn and I did learn something from it: that we have be more conscious of the things we say and that sometimes inadvertently we can say words that might offend someone even when no intention to offend is met," he said.

"Even though they're meant in good humour and good fun and not meant with any sense of hurt, a joke can be taken the wrong way, so we have to be very conscious of who we're speaking to and be confident the audience would receive a joke with the way it was intended."

Jack MacLaren says he's more careful and conscious after sensitivity training - Ottawa - CBC News

What needs to happen, is people need to grow a fu cking skin again and stop being little narcissistic, whining, babies.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
What needs to happen, is people need to grow a fu cking skin again and stop being little narcissistic, whining, babies.

I'd agree with you, but you keep telling me, I go to far :)
Says the guy who tells me I need sensitivity training :roll:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Just the other day. You told me it wasn't kosher to use a rape victim argument ;)

Wow, you are as stupid as JLM...... Not what I said, but that's ok, I can see how you would have a problem understanding.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Wow, you are as stupid as JLM...... Not what I said, but that's ok, I can see how you would have a problem understanding.

So it wasn't because of sensitivity?

So you admit that someone's bad behaviour justifies your bad behaviour then?

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Just making sure because that's a huge difference from, nothing justifies violence.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I'm trying to find consistency in your views. Apparently they shift from day to day

Nope, pretty consistent. Why don't you quote the inconsistencies rather than trying to rely on your minimal brain function to remember.

Here, I'll help you with the "violence" one. I am pro life. This means I am against killing another human. The key word is killing. I have no problem beating a fu cking child molester to within an inch of his life, but I don't believe we have the right to kill him. I have no problem defending my family up to the point where I would have to kill you. I will rip your nuts off and feed them to you, but I will not put a bullet in your head.

If you find the above inconsistent or hypocritical, then that is your problem, not mine. I couldn't give 2 shytes.

and if you want to verify what I am saying, ask RCS, he has known me long enough now to be able to tell you what is what

and he pays attention.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
People do seriously need to grow a pair....

This sensitivity training in my opinion is a precursor to a clockwork orange style indoctrination in the future, call me paranoid!!!!

its coming folks