Conservative Convention 2016: Accepting Reality

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Conservative convention to provide early signs of post-Harper policy shifts

Starting this morning, delegates to the Tory policy convention in Vancouver are debating proposals sparked by the party's membership across the country on everything from taxation to same-sex marriage to the amount of power the party's leader should have. Motions on gun ownership and marijuana are up for debate, too.

This week's sessions will point to where the party wants to go next, with the election of its next leader still a full year away, on May 27, 2017.

Meanwhile, a group of prominent Conservatives, including former Canadian Alliance leader Stockwell Day and Ontario Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown, are set to discuss developing new policy positions to mitigate climate change.

'The train has left the station'

"A lot of times we see these as wedge issues," Ontario MP and social development critic Karen Vecchio told CBC News ahead of the convention. But in the case of gay and lesbian equality rights, it's the law of the land now, she said.

"It is 2016. I don't want to be using Trudeau's words, but … we have evolved," she said. "It doesn't mean that we're morally ungrounded. But it's that we're accepting of people and their choices."

Conservative convention to provide early signs of post-Harper policy shifts - Politics - CBC News

Last edited:

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Love the way lefties tell others what to do and how to feel. The Clingon is strong with Analfloss.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I'm not surprised that you are delighted about telling others what to do.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I'll be paying attention to what comes out of the convention. I like what I am hearing so far.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Didn't Trudeau the senior tell us that government has no place in the bedrooms of the nation ?
Why must you still go there ?

Perhaps because the official position of the Conservative Party is one which intrudes in the bedrooms of the nation. This potential for a shift to moderate their opposition to same-sex marriage is a sign that the Conservatives are perhaps preparing to step into a more realistic arena of forward-thinking social policy. This all assumes, though, that these early votes survive closing plenary.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You make them sound like 18th century Protestants. Are the modern Catholic based Libs the answer to an open Society?

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Perhaps because the official position of the Conservative Party is one which intrudes in the bedrooms of the nation. This potential for a shift to moderate their opposition to same-sex marriage is a sign that the Conservatives are perhaps preparing to step into a more realistic arena of forward-thinking social policy. This all assumes, though, that these early votes survive closing plenary.
Hmmn did we just not finish 8 years of majority conservative government ?
What changes did the conservatives make regarding same sex marriage laws ?

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I see 5p can't square this circle .

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Politics is like the weather outside. When the wind blows, it moves the clouds. Sometimes it's sunny. Other times it is rainy. Politics, like the weather, is ever changing.

The Conservatives gave the people what they wanted 8 yrs ago. The Liberals scratched that itch a few months ago. People and politics continue to change.

The Liberal supporters will find themselves humbled several years from now. Just as the Conservatives found themselves last fall. Change is the nature of things. 5P and others who profess the Liberals are the best of breed are living in a bubble. The bubble will burst and someone else will have a turn.

Do I have to say for a third time that nothing is constant except change?

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

Harper had a free vote in the House of Commons and that was the end of it.

Democracy is a good thing.

There are homophobic people in the Liberal Party as well, there are Liberals who are devout Catholic and opposed to SSM. I don't see anyone in the gay community labeling Liberals with the same broad brush, nor do I see anyone in the gay community calling out Liberal MP's who are opposed to SSM.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Democrasy is the harbour of the unwashed masses. Certainley you cannot relegate power rto the bottom of the strata, that would make you stupid. I am not prepared to place my future in the hands of the accending generation, iof I could see this accending generation I would rest easier but I don;t see the progression of generations, maybe I'm not supposed rto.

Where the fuk is the next generation, I'm tired of waiting for you to take over. I don't intend to spend the rest of my life flushing your toilets.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I thought it was 4 years, my memory is good but it's short!