Domestic violence involving weapons jumps 70% in Calgary

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Domestic violence involving weapons jumps 70% in Calgary, police cite economy as factor

Domestic violence is becoming more common and more severe in Calgary, a problem police believe is likely related to the economic downturn.

Police received 3,282 calls about domestic violence in 2015, marking a 10 per cent increase from the year before.

Domestic assaults involving weapons, specifically, increased by 70 per cent over 2014, according to police data.

Domestic violence involving weapons jumps 70% in Calgary, police cite economy as factor - Calgary - CBC News

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Ban Calgary.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Assault ? the *** is clearly you. It must be terrifying for you to be in a crowd, where you might be "assaulted"

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Is that native Albertans or 'imports'? One answer would suggest closing gun-stores and the other would indicate more stores and cash or trinkets accepted and the first box of ammo is free. It worked in the 'old days' when people thought cities were wide and flat.

ban 'salt
Bring back salt as ammo and allow open carry. The one who cries the loudest and longest is the LOSER.

Frankiedoodle

Electoral Member
Aug 21, 2015
Saskatchewan
I think that this is a serious subject. A 10% rise in domestic violence cases, over the course of a year, is atrocious. I think that needs to be addressed and the use of weapons issue will naturally come down. For those who think that domestic violence's victim's are all women, think again. The physical abuse is probably mostly done by men. The emotional victim's are , on a smaller scale, menu

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Is the ration of domestic disputes with weapons up or just the raw number up by the same proportion as overall domestic disputes? When money is tight, things can get tense and I would expect the overall number of disputes to rise. I would expect the same percentage to use a weapon.