Our government has made us ALL into thieves.

French Patriot

Council Member
Sep 17, 2012

Taxes on goods and services.

Governments have turned to taxing goods and services (GST), instead of taxing income to extract the funds they need from you and I to pay for their various programs. GST’s are regressive taxes, because as a person’s income decreases, his rate of tax increases.

In such a tax system, the less you earn, the more, as a percentage of your income, you pay into that tax system. For instance, if you earn $10,000 per year and pay a GST of 15%, you will pay $1,500 in tax. If you earn $20,000 per year, and buy the same amount of goods and services, you will pay the same $1,500 in tax, but as a percentage of your income, as compared to the poorer buyer, you will only pay ½ the amount of tax dollars, in terms of percentage of income. The higher your income, the less of a percentage of tax you will pay, as compared to those who earn less than you do.

That is why such goods and services tax are considered to be regressive taxes. They penalize the poor while benefiting the richer, on a sliding scale.

Poverty is the worst form of violence. – Ghandi

Each and every one of us is kicking those below us further into poverty thanks to our regressive GST tax system. The richer you are, the harder you are kicking the poor. Middle and lower income earners are not kicking the poorest as hard but we are getting our kicks in anyway.

The Golden Rule is considered by most to be the best moral rule that we know.

With our regressive GST tax system, we are doing the opposite of the Golden Rule by doing unto the poor what we would not want done to us if we are poor.

Should we all be proud of ourselves for doing violence to our poorer fellow countrymen?

Regards
DL

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
GST is a consumption tax.

The more you consume, the more tax you pay. The less you consume, the less tax you pay.

Let's consider that the person making $10,000 per year spends $5,000 of it on food. Food is non-taxable. So the poorer person is paying tax on 1/2 of their income, whereas the person who makes $20,000 per year and spends $5,000 of it on food is paying tax on 3/4 of their income.

French Patriot

Council Member
Sep 17, 2012
GST is a consumption tax.

The more you consume, the more tax you pay. The less you consume, the less tax you pay.

Let's consider that the person making $10,000 per year spends $5,000 of it on food. Food is non-taxable. So the poorer person is paying tax on 1/2 of their income, whereas the person who makes $20,000 per year and spends $5,000 of it on food is paying tax on 3/4 of their income.

The issue is the unfairness of our regressive GST tax.

Where GST does not apply is not relevant to the poor whom we are kicking.

Regards
DL

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
GST taxed everyone 5% for what trading away a 13% tax on manufacturing cost in revenue. Microbey claimed it was to put Canadian industry on an even footing with imports - something he neglected to consider when he forced Free Trade on us five years before. Like all half-thought scams, everyone hears a different story so none of us can know the truth. Honest, eh?

Last edited:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
"The issue is the unfairness of our regressive GST tax.

Where GST does not apply is not relevant to the poor whom we are kicking."

Say what? You think you can discuss the unfairness of a tax without considering how it's applied?

No point in continuing this discussion.

By the way, the GST replaced a 13.5% federal sales tax on the wholesale cost of goods.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Taxes on goods and services.

Governments have turned to taxing goods and services (GST), instead of taxing income to extract the funds they need from you and I to pay for their various programs. GST’s are regressive taxes, because as a person’s income decreases, his rate of tax increases.

In such a tax system, the less you earn, the more, as a percentage of your income, you pay into that tax system. For instance, if you earn $10,000 per year and pay a GST of 15%, you will pay $1,500 in tax. If you earn $20,000 per year, and buy the same amount of goods and services, you will pay the same $1,500 in tax, but as a percentage of your income, as compared to the poorer buyer, you will only pay ½ the amount of tax dollars, in terms of percentage of income. The higher your income, the less of a percentage of tax you will pay, as compared to those who earn less than you do.

That is why such goods and services tax are considered to be regressive taxes. They penalize the poor while benefiting the richer, on a sliding scale.

Poverty is the worst form of violence. – Ghandi

Each and every one of us is kicking those below us further into poverty thanks to our regressive GST tax system. The richer you are, the harder you are kicking the poor. Middle and lower income earners are not kicking the poorest as hard but we are getting our kicks in anyway.

The Golden Rule is considered by most to be the best moral rule that we know.

With our regressive GST tax system, we are doing the opposite of the Golden Rule by doing unto the poor what we would not want done to us if we are poor.

Should we all be proud of ourselves for doing violence to our poorer fellow countrymen?

Regards
DL

Better go back to school and learn a little about business and economics. GST is a consumption tax so the more you make the more you tend to spend and therefore pay more tax. Poor also get a GST rebate so like almost every other tax the rich are carrying the load for the poor that use the most government services.

I remember when there was no GST. Canada was a bastion of fairness.

No it wasn't. You just didn't know how the taxes worked at that time because they were hidden.There were also lots of loopholes.
Eg. If you came to our shop and wanted a trailer hitch for your truck if we sold you a hitch and installed it you would pay 13% MST on the hitch and PST on both the hitch and the install. However if you bought the material from us and paid us to build and install your hitch there was no tax at all.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Our, per person debt, is sinking at the rate of arround how much tax we pay. ��

Let's get our kids to pay for it. The hell with it.

French Patriot

Council Member
Sep 17, 2012
GST taxed everyone 5% for what trading away a 13% tax on manufacturing cost in revenue. Microbey claimed it was to put Canadian industry on an even footing with imports - something he neglected to consider when he forced Free Trade on us five years before. Like all half-thought scams, everyone hears a different story so none of us can know the truth. Honest, eh?

GST's and VAT's. Regressive and unfair or progressive and fair buddy?

Regards
DL

"The issue is the unfairness of our regressive GST tax.

Where GST does not apply is not relevant to the poor whom we are kicking."

Say what? You think you can discuss the unfairness of a tax without considering how it's applied?

No point in continuing this discussion.

By the way, the GST replaced a 13.5% federal sales tax on the wholesale cost of goods.

"No point in continuing this discussion."

With you?

I agree.

Regards
DL

Better go back to school and learn a little about business and economics. GST is a consumption tax so the more you make the more you tend to spend and therefore pay more tax.

I went to school and look at what I found.

Tax Research UK » Why VAT is regressive

I showed the logic trail I followed in the O.P. to show why I thought that GST's were regressive.

Your such a well educated person so why can you not show a logic trail to refute mine?

Regards
DL

Our, per person debt, is sinking at the rate of arround how much tax we pay. ��

Let's get our kids to pay for it. The hell with it.

I hear you but some will not get it.

Regards
DL

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
GST's and VAT's. Regressive and unfair or progressive and fair buddy?

Regards
DL

"No point in continuing this discussion."

With you?

I agree.

Regards
DL

I went to school and look at what I found.

Tax Research UK » Why VAT is regressive

I showed the logic trail I followed in the O.P. to show why I thought that GST's were regressive.

Your such a well educated person so why can you not show a logic trail to refute mine?

Regards
DL

I hear you but some will not get it.

Regards
DL

I don't have the time to do your research for you. If you look you can probably even find someone that claims communism is good. So make sure your source is actually reliable and not just some propaganda rag.
There are many reasons why a VAT is both fair and logical. Look it up.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
The problem is when we borrow money into existence, but the interest charged does not get created, it magically must be born of that principle that was created by the creation of that debt in the first place, but no, in reality, as any dope dealing, gun running, money laundering illegal mafia boss will tell you:
If you borrow from him, as we do, and have to pay back MORE then there actually is,
there will always be a shortfall .
No matter how much taxation there is, all that taxation does is fund the crooks who are skimming off the top
It's called a haircut

the free trade thing bullrooney did was a haircut on a bald head with a big fat side of stabintheback
...and what a good little mob barber he was...

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

French Patriot

Council Member
Sep 17, 2012
I don't have the time to do your research for you. If you look you can probably even find someone that claims communism is good. So make sure your source is actually reliable and not just some propaganda rag.
There are many reasons why a VAT is both fair and logical. Look it up.

I showed the math that says your wrong. Look it up.

It is irrefutable.

Regards
DL

French Patriot seems to think that poor people don't buy food, based on his numbers.

Those are mostly exempt.

Try using gas as your test to see who is getting shafted the hardest as a % of income.

If you end with the rich, you do not know how to do math,

Regards
DL

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

The old federal tax was on Canadian manufactured goods. It was hidden into the cost of the good. If the good was made in USA or China, there was no tax. GST is fairer for that. He got more revenue because he also applied it to services. Originally it was floated @ 9% but reduced to 7% when implemented (likely a planned move). Harper has reduced it to 5%. The more you spend, the more you pay. Pretty fair to me.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Those are mostly exempt.

Try using gas as your test to see who is getting shafted the hardest as a % of income.

If you end with the rich, you do not know how to do math,

Regards
DL

That's funny; when I pointed out that poor people have to buy food, on which there is no GST, you said that it doesn't matter what the tax applies to.

Now youre commenting on what's exempt.

My point is, poor people will spend a higher proportion of their income on food, so they will pay a lower proportion of GST. You do the math, I'm sure you can find someone to help you push the buttons.