The full trudeau report card: Six months in

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
How well are the Liberals doing at keeping their promises?

Justin Trudeau was sworn in as prime minister on November 4, with vows of sweeping change and country-wide renewal. But after half a year in office, how well are the Liberals delivering on their promises? We rate the performance of the new government and the new parliament after their first six months.

It’s said election promises are like babies: fun to make, hell to deliver. And by that measure, the Liberals under Justin Trudeau had a jolly time during last summer and fall’s marathon campaign.

The party made 219 promises to get elected, according to TrudeauMetre.ca, which is tracking the fate of the new government¹s promises. Of those, 29 have been achieved and 19 have been broken. The remaining 175 are in progress or work on them has yet to start.

enjoy

The full report card: Six months in, how well are the Liberals doing at keeping their promises? | National Post

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I hope they pass the bill to legalize pot. I am not being sarcastic either.

• First, the law is stupid.
  • Second, we need the tax base.
  • Third, the cops have bigger fish to fry.
  • Fourth, hmm I forgot what I was going to say.

• Um, are you going to eat that hotdog?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The tax on weed won't generate heaps of cash. If it is more than $7gram, the black market will grow like a weed.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
The tax on weed won't generate heaps of cash. If it is more than $7gram, the black market will grow like a weed.
I've done the math. The govt can tax weed at five times the rate of tobacco and still bring prices down by 66-75%.
Here's how it works. A gram of weed costs pretty much the same to produce as one cigarette. A king size cigarette contains 2/3 of a gram of tobacco. Starting with the same beginning price point before taxes, the govt could tax marijuana at five times the rate of tobacco, rake in some cash and still keep pricing well below street prices. The math works out to around $75-80/oz. Compare that to current street prices of $225-$300/oz.
Of course it's not just the tax revenue that's important here, it's also the savings in costs to police services, courts and the penal system, as well as potentially reduced health care costs.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Is it true that he has been taking a lot of vacation time compared to most previous prime ministers?

He is traveling a lot. Not sure how to compare it to others as the others may not have stopped for a photo-shoot and selfie session at every destination.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Is it true that he has been taking a lot of vacation time compared to most previous prime ministers?

Not sure for others but compared to Harper, the Liberal have already spent 2 times as much this fiscal year, and it's not close to finished.