Earls Restaurant in Alberta switches to U.S. Beef over concerns of humane treatment

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
An billybob ain't impressed!

Earls switch to U.S. meat 'a slap in the face,' Alberta Beef Producers boss says

The head of the Canadian Cattlemen's Association says Earls restaurants didn't give ranchers on this side of the border a fair shot before turning to a U.S. supplier to get humanely produced beef.

Rob McNabb says the Canadian industry is in the process of developing a program that would meet the same standards that the Vancouver-based restaurant chain is seeking — beef raised and slaughtered humanely and produced without antibiotics, steroids or growth hormones.

Earls announced on Wednesday that it will source its beef from a Kansas ranch that is accredited by the non-profit group Humane Farm Animal Care.

Alberta Beef Producers chair Bob Lowe says Earls is insinuating that Canadian ranchers do not raise their animals in a humane fashion.

"It's a slap in the face. I'm a producer and I got quite mad," he said.

Earls switch to U.S. meat 'a slap in the face,' Alberta Beef Producers boss says - Calgary - CBC News

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
"Earls serves only meat from cows that have died of old age"...lol

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
From: Earls faces backlash after dropping Canadian beef for 'Certified Humane' | News Talk 980 CJME

He calls it just another marketing hook to get money

from consumers, adding it's "disappointing” people

buy into the message without knowing the facts.

"You’re hearing phrases and seeing things being

marketed that a lot of the times probably aren't

adding a lot to your understanding to what

you’re buying – but it’s an extra story."

Lee said there is not "a whole lot" of difference in

the criteria used to certify humane beef. In the end,

he said cattle are all slaughtered the same way.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I recall when Bed Bath and Beyond tried this same stunt over fuel sourced from oil sands.... Lasted a couple weeks after no one in AB shopped at their stores.

Earls is run-of-the-mill at best, so the loss of their many restaurants in any province that has a cattle industry won't be missed at all.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
The marketing geniuses over at Earls succeeded in getting on the front page for a week... There is no loyalty to restaurants (at least a milquetoast chain like Earls) and no one gives a rat's azz about humanely treated beef, pork or fish, at least to the standard that Earls wants.

The franchise will pay a hefty price for years to some

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Earls is run-of-the-mill at best, so the loss of their many restaurants in any province that has a cattle industry won't be missed at all
Earl's is gross and full of under age drinkers slowly being barbequed under eco-unfriendly gas patio heaters.

BTW the title is f-cked. It's Earl's nationwide not in just Alberta and includes all Canadian beef sourced from all Provinces. The Alberta link is beef producers from AB spoke out about it.

Facts are fun.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The entire article mentions Canadian producers and at no point singles out Alberta.

ON producers are being f-cked just as hard up the ***.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
it has been about 15 years since I've been to earls. after about 6 visits, I decided that I didn't like their menu.

this new PR gimic will not win me back as a customer.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Customer ain't happy.

Reaction, get really, really mad at the customer.

For cripes sakes, hire some real marketing people before you have no market left!

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
It's a good idea not to eat anything produced in the USA. Most of thier meat lives the productive part of thier lives consuming a list of chemicals to enhance thier appeal to the stupid public. Well this member of that same stupid public will not eat American produce of any kind and neither will the Russians or the Chinese. For it's alberta beef or death. Grass fed, religious beef raised by jesus in the pristine western frontier, free animals taste better.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
It's a good idea not to eat anything produced in the USA. Most of thier meat lives the productive part of thier lives consuming a list of chemicals to enhance thier appeal to the stupid public. Well this member of that same stupid public will not eat American produce of any kind and neither will the Russians or the Chinese. For it's alberta beef or death. Grass fed, religious beef raised by jesus in the pristine western frontier, free animals taste better.

That is probably all true. That message is not getting out. Better hire some pros to sell your message and get back onto the ranch.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Earls. Just another traitor. They might as well import the beef from China, like Trump, I here it's all the rage with the self righteous money grubbing crowd.

Or Mexico, you know, cuz they takin our job and making 'Merica not great.

The hypocrisy is overwhelming.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
es bullsh*t poopie.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
We don't have Earls around here.

We don't have Jack-in-the-Box either, which is why so many of us are still alive.