Alberta’s carbon tax bringing Canada closer to new pipeline

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Alberta’s carbon tax bringing Canada closer to new pipeline, Notley says

Canadians are closer to seeing a new pipeline built in this country than at any point in the past year, Alberta Premier Rachel Notley said on Tuesday, days before she marks her first year in office.

The Premier has expressed support in recent weeks for three proposed pipelines that would link Alberta’s oil sands to the Atlantic Ocean, northern B.C.’s Pacific coast and an export terminal near Vancouver. One of those projects, the Northern Gateway pipeline from Edmonton to Kitimat, B.C., had seemed stalled before Ms. Notley told The Globe and Mail last week that she was dropping her opposition.

On Tuesday, she said that Canada was “absolutely” closer to a new pipeline due to her province’s new carbon tax.

Responding to Ms. Notley’s remarks, federal Natural Resources Minister Jim Carr agreed: “By virtue of the fact that there’s more certainty and clocks are ticking on approval processes, we are closer to a decision, that’s true,” he said.

Along with stricter climate rules in Alberta, Ms. Notley said that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s cabinet better understands the importance of building pipelines for Canada’s economy. She said that includes accepting her view that the environment can be protected while also building new energy infrastructure.

“I think their understanding of the relatedness of the health of Alberta’s energy industry to the health of the national economy has grown,” she said on Tuesday from the provincial legislature in Edmonton.

Ms. Notley will bring a similar message to Washington on Wednesday, when she intends to tell American officials and opinion makers that Alberta has changed. With a new economy-wide carbon tax taking effect next year and a legislated cap on the size of carbon emissions from the oil sands, she said U.S. groups need to revisit opposition to the province’s energy sector.

Alberta’s carbon tax bringing Canada closer to new pipeline, Notley says - The Globe and Mail

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Why would Vancouver want supertankers sailing in their local water that are already stretched just keeping cargo moving, if that increases like it should it will end up looking like parts of Ontario. Especially NG tankers and when one other line is already destined to meet the same ocean in a remote location that would be a brand new installation with all the safe guards

Well there is a odd way to promote a tax :lol:
You would be surprised at what creating jobs in the local depressed areas will do for you come election time. I wonder how many will jobs will go to Americans?

With the climate change slated for Calif they will be drier so Oregon/Washington would be where the new fields will be and that would mean the 'Scablands' would see millions of 'refugees' move into the area and they would need some big lines and that would be exiting Alberta at the Montana border. Lines to Vancouver would be needed just to update their ability to use NG as the 'common fuel'

Well there is a odd way to promote a tax :lol:
If it is billed by the km there better not be any needless bends from the Rockies to the Great Lakes.

Last edited:

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Elect the left, or they will oppose everything any business needs. :lol: Talk about the Mob

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Alberta businesses were happy with Notley when she announced the carbon tax.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Alberta businesses were happy with Notley when she announced the carbon tax.

4-7 billion dollar of investments left Alberta at the end of 2015, beginning of 2016., when they realized Notly was grossly incompetent . I wasn't aware any business people were still in Alberta. :lol:

Maybe anyone who didn't agree with the carbon tax already packed up and left Floss. With their 4-7 billion dollars of investments.

And abandoned their 270+ billion in worthless assets they invested that are now stuck in Alberta and can't turn over a profit for them.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Correct, mainly because they know that the provincial gvt will unwind the more expensive one and institute Justine's watered-down and cheaper version.

I guess that it's kinda like a subsidy

No, it's because it provides certainty to the market.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I wasn't aware any business people were still in Alberta. :lol:
Perhaps the people left in Alberta will be the ones starting up new businesses that are local rather than subs of foreign companies. Somebody should ask JT as he is as close to being Richie Rich as anybody these days.

How come there was no opposition to the CO2 pipeline from SK to AB?
Probably because most of the liquid gas is to be used by the industry in fracking operations.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The exploration and R&D sections of the oil patch shut down because the work is expensive and that means $100.bbl or you are losing money, money that belongs to the stock-holders. For it to been 'important' and not part of a global recession alone the 'money that left' would have been used as a startup fund for the same types of businesses in some other country. So far I haven't seen any articles that point to anyplace booming as far as exploration is concerned.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
The exploration and R&D sections of the oil patch shut down because the work is expensive and that means $100.bbl or you are losing money, money that belongs to the stock-holders. For it to been 'important' and not part of a global recession alone the 'money that left' would have been used as a startup fund for the same types of businesses in some other country. So far I haven't seen any articles that point to anyplace booming as far as exploration is concerned.

They left over the uncertainty over the new NDP taxes and rules. The R&D is already spent. A government that would have clearly stated they would support and help the industry get through this tough times would have retained most of the 4-7 billions that were lost.

Alberta Could have easily managed this recession but due to bad governance. We have a depression.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
How come there was no opposition to the CO2 pipeline from SK to AB?

... Especially because it's carrying that dangerous CO2.

I get chills up my spine thinking of the consequences of a leak in that CO2 pipeline, and of course, I then weep and wonder why no one thinks of the children.

No, it's because it provides certainty to the market.

Yabut, seeing how the new tax is approved by Mr. Sunny Ways, I fail to see how the markets wouldn't see this as even greater certainty.

... And, no Dutch Disease either, that in itself is grounds for huge market certainity

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
I beg of you!!... Please think of the children before you even consider using one of those dangerous CO2 fire extinguishers to save your home from burning to the ground!!!

Those fire extinguishers's prices will go right threw the roof with a carbon tax :lol: