Justin Trudeau says parliamentarians have role in ending sexism

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says parliamentarians have a role to play in ending harassment in the workplace, a day after Conservative MP Michelle Rempel penned an op-ed about the sexism she faces on Parliament Hill.

"The everyday sexism I face," Rempel wrote in the National Post on Monday, "involves confronting the 'bitch' epithet when I don't automatically comply with someone's request or capitulate on my position on an issue … it involves my *** being occasionally grabbed as a way to shock me into submission. It involves tokenism. It involves sometimes being written off as not serious when I've clearly proven I am."

Trudeau, who describes himself as a feminist, was asked for his thoughts about Rempel's condemnation of the sexism she faces at work on a daily basis.

"It continues to be a great challenge in workplaces across the country," the prime minister said in French on his way to a cabinet meeting on Parliament Hill Tuesday.

"We have made some improvements here, but there is a lot of work to do and we are part of the solution."

Parliament adopted a new code of ethics last fall, following allegations of misconduct by two Liberal caucus members in 2014.

Trudeau, who was leader of the party, went public with the accusations, and immediately removed the MPs from his caucus.

In the op-ed, Rempel pointed the finger at two unnamed MPs, including "a senior cabinet minister" who told her in the Commons to "look a bit more cheerful."

Justin Trudeau says parliamentarians have role in ending sexism - Politics - CBC News

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
Our biggest threat is not "classic sexism", which is often described as being "un-ironic, explicit, violent, banal". We all know that is wrong, and unacceptable, and it will be easy to implement policy and practices to eradicate it or to deal with it appropriately when it happens.

IMO, our real problem is "Liberal sexism", which is often described as "the objectification of women but in a manner that uses mockery, quotation marks, and paradox". The problem exists when a liberal feels it is acceptable because they have distanced themselves from the material with quotes. They fail to see that quotes do not transform the offensive material.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
In the op-ed, Rempel pointed the finger at two unnamed MPs, including "a senior cabinet minister" who told her in the Commons to "look a bit more cheerful."
*GASP* Oh no he di'int.
Oh yeah, that dude is definitely a sexist. :roll:

You know what else is sexist? The term "feminist".

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
positive sexist behaviour as well?

So, I should treat all women like they are men?

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
positive sexist behaviour as well?

So, I should treat all women like they are men?
In order to do that you would have to determine which people are in fact women, and by so defining them you might be committing the ultimate sexist act...

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says parliamentarians have a role to play in ending harassment in the workplace, a day after Conservative MP Michelle Rempel penned an op-ed about the sexism she faces on Parliament Hill.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Treating all women like they are men?
LOL!
( not trying to be difficult here MF, just being a realist...)
Wait a minute thats going to be construed by women as THE MOST SEXIST STATEMENT EVER!
No manam...you gots to have to treats all men like they are women
that's really where this is going.
you'll see.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
I believe you are finally starting to understand the concept of equality.

I was raised in a far left family ideology, Floss. I am the result of the consept of equality. I'm so open minded I've even excepted some far right ideolagy.

I'm so left I was smoking pot before I was even born, dogg.

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
Our biggest threat is not "classic sexism", which is often described as being "un-ironic, explicit, violent, banal". We all know that is wrong, and unacceptable, and it will be easy to implement policy and practices to eradicate it or to deal with it appropriately when it happens.

IMO, our real problem is "Liberal sexism", which is often described as "the objectification of women but in a manner that uses mockery, quotation marks, and paradox". The problem exists when a liberal feels it is acceptable because they have distanced themselves from the material with quotes. They fail to see that quotes do not transform the offensive material.
My Gawd, what a bunch of jerks. No clue about treating people as though they were a member of the human race.

Please note I am the only woman who bloody well dares to challenge the lot of you.

Danabones....Depends on how you treat another male ......do you treat the male first with respect for having a brain or do you simply assume they do not have one treat them as though they are substandard? Do you think women cannot work a tractor, milk a cow, know how to fell a tree, operate a car without a string accidents, run a company or even do as well or better than the average male in most jobs.

I was brought up by a man who had no boy children. I was treated first as a person even if perhaps not as strong physically until I was out of puberty. I was 5'5-1/2 and weighed 120. When I wanted a corner shelf in my bedroom, I was told how to do it and aside from answering a few questions on how to measure to fit the corner, I was expected to do the job my self. I did. I was 13 years old.

So reading the comments from the males here, I am horrified. My girls and myself, repaired the roof on a two story farm house, because my husband was too busy tending to his main business to spare the time. And before I get all that prejudicial crap, I was a city girl before I married and had three proposals of marriage before the one I actually chose. One of my daughters was a model and the other still works in a health facility. That was many years ago. But this year, one of my daughters climbed a tree that had a huge branch overhanging my small shed here in Florida. I will not tell you how old she is as that might give away mine.

So smarten up the bunch of you and take a second look at yourselves.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Don't get yourself all in a tizzy there little lady, it's bad for your complexion.

Fixing the barn roof by taping a plastic bag over the spot you think is leaking does not count as a repair. Now, might i recommend a little relaxing needle-point and to spend some time coming-up with a nice dinner for your loving man for when he gets back from work is a far better use of your time as opposed to exaggerating about milking cows, building shelves and whatnot

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
My Gawd, what a bunch of jerks. No clue about treating people as though they were a member of the human race.

Please note I am the only woman who bloody well dares to challenge the lot of you.

Danabones....Depends on how you treat another male ......do you treat the male first with respect for having a brain or do you simply assume they do not have one treat them as though they are substandard? Do you think women cannot work a tractor, milk a cow, know how to fell a tree, operate a car without a string accidents, run a company or even do as well or better than the average male in most jobs.

I was brought up by a man who had no boy children. I was treated first as a person even if perhaps not as strong physically until I was out of puberty. I was 5'5-1/2 and weighed 120. When I wanted a corner shelf in my bedroom, I was told how to do it and aside from answering a few questions on how to measure to fit the corner, I was expected to do the job my self. I did. I was 13 years old.

So reading the comments from the males here, I am horrified. My girls and myself, repaired the roof on a two story farm house, because my husband was too busy tending to his main business to spare the time. And before I get all that prejudicial crap, I was a city girl before I married and had three proposals of marriage before the one I actually chose. One of my daughters was a model and the other still works in a health facility. That was many years ago. But this year, one of my daughters climbed a tree that had a huge branch overhanging my small shed here in Florida. I will not tell you how old she is as that might give away mine.

So smarten up the bunch of you and take a second look at yourselves.

That's fine and all, but it's exhausting how your attitude projects as a very insecure person, with a inferiority complex, that seem to over compensate to prove to everyone and yourself that you deserve the same respect.

It makes many men uneasy to see a women be reckless and put her own life in danger, for absolutely no good reasons.

Other that she has a huge chip on her shoulder.

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
Don't get yourself all in a tizzy there little lady, it's bad for your complexion.

Fixing the barn roof by taping a plastic bag over the spot you think is leaking does not count as a repair. Now, might i recommend a little relaxing needle-point and to spend some time coming-up with a nice dinner for your loving man for when he gets back from work is a far better use of your time as opposed to exaggerating about milking cows, building shelves and whatnot

It was the house roof, and it involved replacing the shingles. I suspect needle work would probably be more difficult than building my own furniture......which did involve making tables and chairs and carving them before putting on the finish. Over and above making folding doors with stained glass panels, I could whip up a great meal as well. My spare time was spent as working in the local Emergency Department as a medical secretary. My husband was a great farmer and selling his herd following his death along with the quota, was the saddest thing I had to do. He wouldn't give it up. It made me rich but I would rather of kept the man.

Your reply is exactly what I would have expected little man.....my complexion is fine and Angstrom if you feel I am a very insecure person, how come i travel where I want when I want alone?? I didn't get to my age by being reckless, just smart enough to know what I can accomplish. and when to hire a professional. And all those uneasy men LOL I had one man 10 years my junior want to move in a month after my husband died, I do not give a shat if someone thinks I have a huge chip on my shoulder or am insecure........I know I am neither. and acknowledge that many men are really insecure. I do see how defensive so many of you become when challenged about your attitude.

My dears you are only proving insecure you are when confronted by one well-balanced and secure female. Believe me when I tell you, I am financially secure, mentally well balanced and very smart.

Last edited:

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Your reply is exactly what I would have expected little man.....my complexion is fine and Angstrom if you feel I am a very insecure person, how come i travel where I want when I want alone?? I didn't get to my age by being reckless, just smart enough to know what I can accomplish. and when to hire a professional. And all those uneasy men LOL I had one man 10 years my junior want to move in a month after my husband died, I do not give a shat if someone thinks I have a huge chip on my shoulder or am insecure........I know I am neither. and acknowledge that many men are really insecure. I do see how defensive so many of you become when challenged about your attitude.

My dears you are only proving insecure you are when confronted by one well-balanced and secure female. Believe me when I tell you, I am financially secure, mentally well balanced and very smart.

You don't sound like a very cooperative person. I can't visualize you working very well in a team effort. Why bother when you can handle everything yourself. I can't help but feel like your missing out on the point, and one of life's greatest joys.