B.C. Orders Enbridge to Seek New Environment Certificate for Northern Gateway

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
No more pipelines jumping on the bed.

Enbridge will have to secure an environmental assessment certificate from the B.C. government if it wants to proceed with its Northern Gateway oil pipeline according to an order issued by B.C.’s Environmental Assessment Office on Friday.

Early on in the Northern Gateway process, the B.C. government signed an “equivalency agreement” with the federal government, giving Ottawa the responsibility for the environmental assessment.

However, a Supreme Court of B.C. decision this January found that the B.C. government acted improperly and that the province must still make its own decision about issuing an environmental assessment certificate.

In a letter to Enbridge posted last week, B.C.’s Environmental Assessment Office states that it will accept the National Energy Board’s (NEB) joint review panel report as the assessment report, but it will carry out its own consultation with Aboriginal groups — if and when Enbridge indicates it’s ready to proceed (it’s clear Enbridge must make a move here).
“The big open questions are what does consultation look like and how will that impact their decision?” said Eugene Kung, staff counsel at West Coast Environmental Law. “Are they just going through the motions to issue a certificate?”

The B.C. government formally opposed the project in its final argument to the NEB panel.

“How do they incorporate their own previously stated opposition to the project?” Kung asked. “It seems hard to imagine them issuing a certificate given their previously stated positions.”

The province’s letter states that no decisions will be made on any permit applications related to the construction or operation of Northern Gateway until a decision on the environmental assessment certificate has been made.

That calls into question the project’s existing federal environmental assessment certificate, which has several conditions attached including one that stipulates that Northern Gateway must have proven firm supply contracts accounting for 60 per cent of capacity by July 1, 2016. Further to that, Northern Gateway’s certificate will expire by December 31, 2016, unless it begins construction.

While the Enbridge Northern Gateway project is widely seen as dead — with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau promising to legislate a ban on oil tankers on B.C.’s north coast — the latest news raises questions about Kinder Morgan’s Trans Mountain pipeline proposal.

The province of B.C. signed the same equivalency agreement for the review of Trans Mountain, but will now need to make a decision on issuing its own provincial environmental assessment certificate and needs to consult with affected First Nations on that decision.

The province also opposed the Trans Mountain project in its final argument to the joint review panel.

Enbridge Northern Gateway would transport 525,000 barrels of bitumen per day from Alberta to Kitimat, where it would be loaded onto tankers bound for Asia.

Kinder Morgan’s Trans Mountain expansion would triple the capacity of that pipeline, allowing for the transport of 590,000 barrels of oil per day from Alberta to Burnaby, where it would also be loaded onto tankers bound primarily for Asia.

B.C. Orders Enbridge to Seek New Environment Certificate for Northern Gateway | DeSmog Canada

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
All this consulting with non entities is going to break the country. The first pipeline was built in less time than the consultation process for this one.
People with secure government jobs are destroying the economy and the jobs of thousands of working Canadian taxpayers.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Do you recall think big stink you made when the Feds ditched redundant assessments and put the onus on the Provinces?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Such a shame that pipelines are the exclusive purview of the Feds.

B.C. Orders Enbridge to Seek New Environment Certificate for Northern Gateway | DeSmog Canada

Oh my!... Desmog Canada.

I wonder what those folks are all about?... Kind of an odd name though

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Speaking of smog, I have some nice pics of The Worlds Greenest City showing how effective the 30¢ carbon tax is at ruining my view of the island.

It was a stellar blue sky yesterday AM and by 1 a gorgeous yellowish brown.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
If only Harper were still in power, all of these pipelines would have been built by now. :lol:

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Speaking of smog, I have some nice pics of The Worlds Greenest City showing how effective the 30¢ carbon tax is at ruining my view of the island.

It was a stellar blue sky yesterday AM and by 1 a gorgeous yellowish brown.
Mt. Baker is looking mighty pretty right now .

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
All this consulting with non entities is going to break the country. The first pipeline was built in less time than the consultation process for this one.
People with secure government jobs are destroying the economy and the jobs of thousands of working Canadian taxpayers.

The Mining industry in Ontario feels your pain

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Mt. Baker is looking mighty pretty right now .

Couldn't see the island again through the icky CO and SO2. When I get to work up on BBY Mtn. Baker shines white, by early afternoon it's brown.

Thank God for the carbon tax or it would be brown in the AM too.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The Mining industry in Ontario feels your pain

BC too. I find it amazing that there are so many people that are afraid of generating good jobs and economic activity. Must be that either welfare pays too good or too many people are collecting government cheques.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Couldn't see the island again through the icky CO and SO2. When I get to work up on BBY Mtn. Baker shines white, by early afternoon it's brown.

Thank God for the carbon tax or it would be brown in the AM too.
Come now Petros I understand what you are saying , but really since the advent of natural gas heating and the reduction of lead and sulphur from our fuel , the air quality in the lower mainland is much improved .
We do however have many more people , hence polluters living in the region since those changes came about .

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
BC too. I find it amazing that there are so many people that are afraid of generating good jobs and economic activity.

A tree might get hurt, therefore, mining is bad

Come now Petros I understand what you are saying , but really since the advent of natural gas heating and the reduction of lead and sulphur from our fuel , the air quality in the lower mainland is much improved .
We do however have many more people , hence polluters living in the region since those changes came about .

Natural gas is extra super bad and most of it comes from Alberta which makes it even more badder

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
A tree might get hurt, therefore, mining is bad

Natural gas is extra super bad and most of it comes from Alberta which makes it even more badder

Funny that they don't mind killing a few thousand trees or pave over good farm land to build another mall. Cause the world needs more malls.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Its funny the way those who oppose are described. First it was the environmental freaks
then it was lazy people and the fact is there are all kinds young and old who just don't want
the bloody pipelines end of story, No how did it get this way?
Enbridge showed picture later found found to have removed many islands to show the path
to the see and lost their credibility.
The city playing host to the storage facilities have a majority of folks who don't want Alberta's
dirty product.
Kinder Morgan decided to go through a park in Burnaby and piss*d off the lower mainland.
The problem is arrogance and the feeling they can do what they want and a lot of folks just
don't want them operating here anymore.
I oppose Enbridge, bring on a credible company and I could change my mind.
Kinder Morgan had they gone around the park and area at extra cost would have a different
reception. In the meantime people like me say why are we supplying Asia with fuel to take
even more jobs. Refine and sell to friendly nations I say