Liberal's public consultation on defence

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
The government is launching public consultations on Canada's defence policy in the hopes of "kickstarting" a national discussion, Minister of Defence Harjit Sajjan announced Wednesday.
Speaking from Ottawa, Sajjan said members of the public will be invited to provide comment during the public review, which starts Wednesday and runs until the end of July.
Canadians can submit feedback online until July 31. As well, the government will host six roundtable meetings with various stakeholders across the country.
These public consultations will help inform new defence policies that the government hopes to release in early 2017, Sajjan said.
"I want an opportunity for all Canadians and I encourage all Canadians to actually participate in this," Sajjan said in appearance on CTV's Power Play.
The minister said the consultations will help the government make the decisions required to confront new security threats, including those posed by terror groups like ISIS and Boko Haram, as well as cybersecurity threats.
"Times have changed … in the world, there's a lot more complexity and we need to refocus our defence,” said Sajjan.

"So making sure we have the right makeup, make the right choices (on) how we're going to be working in a multilateral environment around the world."
Sajjan said earlier on Wednesday that the consultations mark the first major public review "of this magnitude" in more than 20 years.
"We will listen to experts and to Canadians about what they want to see from their government," he said, noting that he has consulted with his counterparts in other countries who have undertaken similar reviews.
"My goal is to establish a renewed vision for our military that will be nested in our foreign policy."
During the federal election, the Liberals put forward a broad vision for the future of the Canadian military, pledging to end Canada's role in the anti-ISIS bombing campaign in favour of a training-focused mission. As well, the party promised to return Canada to its traditional role in UN peacekeeping missions. It also promised to cancel plans to buy Lockheed Martin's F-35 fighters and to boost navy spending.

Defence Budget | Defence Consultations

Don't miss your chance, There are forum discussion happening.
Check it out!

Last edited:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Not that I'm an efficiency fanatic, but I think establishing an international police force of no more than 100,000 well trained and equipped men sharing a common international auxiliary language would allow any state that wishes to participate in cutting redundancies to gradually eliminate their own military forces and just fund a common one.

Now I know some big-government activists will point out that the deep cuts to military spending that this would cause in participating states would significantly reduce government employment and stimulation of the economy.

I don't buy that. It would allow for a gradual repayment of the Federal debt and eventually Federal tax reductions. This in turn would allow provincial governments to raise taxes to better fund public education instead.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Not that I'm an efficiency fanatic, but I think establishing an international police force of no more than 100,000 well trained and equipped men sharing a common international auxiliary language would allow any state that wishes to participate in cutting redundancies to gradually eliminate their own military forces and just fund a common one.

Now I know some big-government activists will point out that the deep cuts to military spending that this would cause in participating states would significantly reduce government employment and stimulation of the economy.

I don't buy that. It would allow for a gradual repayment of the Federal debt and eventually Federal tax reductions. This in turn would allow provincial governments to raise taxes to better fund public education instead.

Ya, a Jedi council would be really useful :lol:

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Well I'm American so this ain't none of my bizwax but I just had to notice that this seems like a real hot news story. :)

We are Canadians, this is a liberal government, they even will let you post your opinion on there. They will ask you where your from though.

Well, imagine if a all seeing, all knowing, all good, agency, could police the whole planet with its own army of 100 000 without personal country motives and bias.

I'd say that's what the Jedi council in Star Wars is :lol:

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
We are Canadians, this is a liberal government, they even will let you post your opinion on there. They will ask you where your from though.

Well, imagine if a all seeing, all knowing, all good, agency, could police the whole planet with its own army of 100 000 without personal country motives and bias.

I'd say that's what the Jedi council in Star Wars is :lol:

Maybe, the Jedi can agree on the colour of shyte but the governments of the World sure as hell can't. Do you think, for example, that a planetary police force should try to defeat radical Islam? There ,are a good dozen countries plus (one, a nuclear power) who believe in their deepest depths that it is we infidels who should be crushed.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Maybe, the Jedi can agree on the colour of shyte but the governments of the World sure as hell can't. Do you think, for example, that a planetary police force should try to defeat radical Islam? There ,are a good dozen countries plus (one, a nuclear power) who believe in their deepest depths that it is we infidels who should be crushed.

That's why it doesn't work ;)

Everyone has his own bias.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
all i can say,is it just about uncomprehensible for myself to think the Canadian government can manage an army when they cannot even manage an internal law enforcement agency like the RCMP,just plain old not registering,not in my thought process.