Consevative Party leadership contest

tay
Conservative leadership contender Deepak Obhrai received emails telling him to ‘leave Canada’ after Leitch released immigration plan

“That is the wrong approach to take,” said Mr. Obhrai, one of the deans of the House of Commons, who was born in Tanzania to a Hindu family, and was first elected in his Calgary riding in 1997 after immigrating to Canada in 1977.

Mr. Obhrai did not comment directly on the possible effect Ms. Leitch’s immigration policy may have had on her fundraising, but instead revealed other fallout from the controversial idea.

“Basically, after Kellie Leitch came out with it, I can tell you that when I said I’m opposing her, that I don’t agree with her, I did also get a lot of emails that were telling me ‘leave the country, go away,’” Mr. Obhrai said.

Obhrai received emails telling him to 'leave Canada' after Leitch released immigration plan - The Hill Times - The Hill Times (external - login to view)

tay
Conservative leadership candidates take open mic questions, but Leitch leaves early

Leitch attended the lunch portion of the event and spoke to those who purchased tickets, but she left before the other candidates took to the stage for the debate. There was no official announcement to the crowd explaining why

In a statement to CBC News, a spokesman for Leitch said she needed to be back in Toronto this afternoon due to an incident at her home.

"Unfortunately that meant she had to leave the Ottawa event before its completion," wrote Bradley Breton. "I am not at liberty to discuss any more details at this time."

The Carleton Conservative Association says its lunch event Sunday — billed as the only chance area party members will have to hear from all the contenders in one place — sold out and the room in the small conference facility is packed.

The event, moderated by local MP and former cabinet minister Pierre Poilievre, was open to any member of the public who bought a ticket.

Conservative leadership candidates take open mic questions, but Leitch leaves early - Politics - CBC News

Durry
Quote: Originally Posted by tayView Post

Conservative leadership contender Deepak Obhrai received emails telling him to ‘leave Canada’ after Leitch released immigration plan

“That is the wrong approach to take,” said Mr. Obhrai, one of the deans of the House of Commons, who was born in Tanzania to a Hindu family, and was first elected in his Calgary riding in 1997 after immigrating to Canada in 1977.

Mr. Obhrai did not comment directly on the possible effect Ms. Leitch’s immigration policy may have had on her fundraising, but instead revealed other fallout from the controversial idea.

“Basically, after Kellie Leitch came out with it, I can tell you that when I said I’m opposing her, that I don’t agree with her, I did also get a lot of emails that were telling me ‘leave the country, go away,’” Mr. Obhrai said.

Obhrai received emails telling him to 'leave Canada' after Leitch released immigration plan - The Hill Times - The Hill Times (external - login to view)

Typical E Indian, screwed up his own country, runs to Canada to get all its free benefits (which he never fought for) and has the gall to tell Canadian borns who lost loved ones, what is good for them.

Send this scum back to the country he and his forefathers built.

petros
+1
EIs did fight in both big ones.

JamesBondo
What about Jean Charest? If he crossed the floor would he be able to get Quebec votes?

Durry
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

EIs did fight in both big ones.

Not for Canada !!

mentalfloss

petros
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by DurryView Post

Not for Canada !!

Who has in your eyes?

The first Sikhs came to Canada in 1902 as part of a Hong Kong military contingent travelling to the coronation of Edward VII. The first Sikh immigrants arrived in 1904 and by 1908, when an immigration ban was imposed, more than 5000 South Asians, over 90% of them Sikhs, had arrived in British Columbia.

Canadian Soldier Sikhs: A Little Story in a Big War

History records that thousands of Sikh soldiers from India fought in France during World War 1 and participated in many of the War’s major battles. But who knows that a handful of Sikhs also fought in WWI as part of the Canadian Army? At a time when Sikhs were actively prevented from immigrating to Canada and were denied Canadian citizenship, these men joined with other Canadians to fight in Europe. Of the ten Canadian soldier Sikhs so far identified, eight served in Canada, England, and France. Three were wounded in action and three died as a result of their wartime service.

Canadian Soldier Sikhs tells the fascinating and unknown story of this handful of Sikh immigrants to Canada who enlisted in the Canadian Army in World War I. They were volunteers who fought, and some died, for a country which denied them even the basic rights of citizenship.

Any comments?

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
+1

Not for Canada !!

My my, that's embarrassing

Durry
Ten soldier Sikhs, wow, what an army eh??? What would have we done without them?? Sheesh!!

Brown people in Canada make up about 5-7% percent of Canada's population, yet less than 0.5% of Canada's military population is made up of brown people.

They didn't carry their share of weight before and they are not carrying their fair of weight now!!

petros
+2
Now they did fight but not enough?

Keep trying bub.

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation

Ten soldier Sikhs, wow, what an army eh??? What would have we done without them?? Sheesh!!

Brown people in Canada make up about 5-7% percent of Canada's population, yet less than 0.5% of Canada's military population is made up of brown people.

They didn't carry their share of weight before and they are not carrying their fair of weight now!!

Too many people like you may make them feel unwanted.

Durry
Nobody wants someone who does not carry their fair share of the heavy lifting. You won't survive as a member in a team sport, why should you be carried in building a country.

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation

Nobody wants someone who does not carry their fair share of the heavy lifting. You won't survive as a member in a team sport, why should you be carried in building a country.

Your putting the cart before the horse. Stupid people generally do

petros
+1

Struggling with them fighting for Canada even though they weren't wanted?

Remington1
+1
'All' combined visible minorities account for 6% of our CF members. This is low, Sikh or all other minorities are not a common sight on our Canadian CF teams. Maybe when JT has tripled Canada's population to 100 million, maybe the minorities will consist of the 94% and Canadians will consist of 6%? Who knows what it will look like, our children will definitely be the minority. JT will be prime minister forever ).

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Remington1View Post

'All' combined visible minorities account for 6% of our CF members. This is low, Sikh or all other minorities are not a common sight on our Canadian CF teams. Maybe when JT has tripled Canada's population to 100 million, maybe the minorities will consist of the 94% and Canadians will consist of 6%? Who knows what it will look like, our children will definitely be the minority. JT will be prime minister forever ).

One false premise in there!! Someone will have shot J.T. long before the population reaches 100 million! He'll be damn lucky if he sees 40 million! I wonder how much of his nonsense Trump will put up with.

Bar Sinister
No Party Affiliation

Do you have the faintest idea what you are talking about? Since when did you have the right to decide who is a Canadian and who isn't? And where did you get the ridiculous 100 million number from?

Tecumsehsbones
Y'all pronounce it "leech?"

How many years did you serve?

JLM
No Party Affiliation

CF?? Cystic Fibrosis?

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

CF?? Cystic Fibrosis?

Canadian Forces. Try and keep up.

tay
+1
Uniformity is neither desirable nor possible in a country the size of Canada. We should not even be able to agree upon the kind of Canadian to choose as a model, let alone persuade most people to emulate it. There are few policies potentially more disastrous for Canada than to tell all Canadians that they must be alike. There is no such thing as a model or ideal Canadian. What could be more absurd than the concept of an “all-Canadian” boy or girl? A society which emphasizes uniformity is one which creates intolerance and hate. A society which eulogizes the average citizen is one which breeds mediocrity. What the world should be seeking, and what in Canada we must continue to cherish, are not concepts of uniformity but human values: compassion, love, and understanding.

~ Pierre Elliott Trudeau, Remarks at the Ukrainian-Canadian Congress, October 9, 1971.

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
And yet, that is exactly what the lefties (and I include the Trumpites in that) are trying to do.

Danbones
Free Thinker
well, if we were in a competition for the hindermost we we (sic) we would ask your advice

tay

Mowich
Conservative
“We will not tolerate acts of vandalism or violence from those who would illegally stand in the way of the economic prosperity of our people,” the Tory MP said in the release. “There is a place for legitimate protest, but we will lock up the agitators and activists who resort to vandalism and violence when they do not get their way.”

This is the first thing that Kellie has said with which I completely agree.

Canadian Political News, Opinion, Analysis - HuffPost Politics Canada (external - login to view)

personal touch
Bloc Québécois
Boring as ****
But I do have ears for Lisa

Curious Cdn
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by personal touchView Post

Boring as ****
But I do have ears for Lisa

Yeah. Me too.

Liberalman
Free Thinker