Consevative Party leadership contest

gerryh
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

F Off.

You really don't like being called on your bullshyte, do ya.

personal touch
Bloc Québécois
Don't get your buttons mixed up

Curious Cdn
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by personal touchView Post

My My
Let's talk about Jason,his thighs or something like that

Doesn't he have a friend in Calgary named Ben Gassie?

personal touch
Bloc Québécois
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious CdnView Post

Doesn't he have a friend in Calgary named Ben Gassie?

I am sure he has many friends,
Named Larry,Steve,Pete,Frank,Tom
Now he is meeting more friends,freely using two party names,
Sometimes politics reminds me of boxing in the old days,
Humans on humans
I view Mr.Kenney in a different light
And some ways I sympathize towards him

Regardless of Political Party

darkbeaver
Republican
Quote: Originally Posted by DanbonesView Post

for the glorious leader
I vote miss ottawa
by a wide margin

PS
and this legalize pot stuff?
Dear CONSWERVATIVE: prohibition never works:
It only makes it more valuable to criminals,
but hey, look how it worked for JFK's clan's electability
jeez

Proabition never works? The war on drugs rakes in billions. There's a pecking order in crime it appears sometimes. I wonder if there's any truth to such a notion.

A good read this thread lots of info about this leadership race. I think I'll follow it in the news. Times like these will bring out some amazing ideas I bet.

Locutus
Rona Ambrose against Leitch’s proposal to screen for ’anti-Canadian values’

Rona Ambrose against Leitch’s proposal to screen for ’anti-Canadian values’ | Ca

Well, now we know where Rona stands.

People who choose to dress and act like they did in the 'old country', set themselves apart in ghettos, act like arrogant victims, and refuse to integrate into Canadian society are clearly sending one message:

"We didn't come here to become Canadians, we came here to make Canada more like our old country; you must change and accept us."

mentalfloss
+1 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

I've heard that term several times, "old stock Canadian". Now, what the fuk does that mean?

Idiot curmudgeons.

Basically, most conservatives until their mass exodus begins in 10 years.

JLM
No Party Affiliation

I've heard that term several times, "old stock Canadian". Now, what the fuk does that mean?

Those of us who have been in the country at least one generation since our ancestors arrived. I have no problem with the term.

Curious Cdn
Conservative
1785, man.

Walter

tay

White Christians. Harper used that phrase during a debate about refugees. It's called 'dog-whistle politics' because only dogs can hear a dog whistle hence White Christians will understand what 'old stock' means........

Crushed in the last election, the CPC still can’t come to terms with the reality of the Harper legacy — mass rejection. Until it does, it will be where it is, standing on a creaky plank above a deep gorge in a high wind with dubious would-be leaders like Kellie Leitch jumping up and down on the rotten boards.

That is why you saw Michael Chong come out swinging against his fellow leadership opponent last week. Leitch, who said she wants refugees and immigrants to take a Canadian values test, is a one-woman wrecking crew for the party of MacDonald and Mulroney.

She parroted the Harper line, signalling that the CPC hasn’t learned a single thing from its recent electoral thrashing. She represents the abyss, not renewal.

The questionnaire that Leitch sent to supporters should be enough to scupper any remote chance she had of contending for the leadership — no matter how much money she has raised from her well-to-do suburbanites north of Toronto. Her questionnaire was as racist as a “no-colored” sign hung outside a public washroom in another era. The notion of forcefully screening immigrants for suspected “anti-Canadian values” would have made the communist-baiting Senator Joe McCarthy blush.

But there is more. This is the same pitchfork politician who couldn’t wait to front one of the great acts of bigotry in Canadian politics that occurred during the last federal election when she, along with Chris Alexander, that deeply forgotten former diplomat, pitched the idea of an anti-barbaric cultural practices snitch line.

No one in the Conservative Party is honest enough to say who actually came up with the idea, including Leitch. No wonder.

True, she shed a few crocodile tears about the whole thing later on the CBC. And now we know why. It wasn’t because she was ashamed of the idea, it was because she thought that the rat line was a dandy policy that the Harperites just failed to “articulate” properly.

Conservatives struggle to find party’s soul (external - login to view)

tay
Will opposing the rights of one million Canadians (external - login to view) send Brad Trost to 24 Sussex?

Probably not, but the aspiring Prime Minister appears poised to make opposition to same-sex marriage the signature issue of his Conservative leadership campaign anyway.

Ads appearing recently on Facebook tout Trost as "100% CONSERVATIVE."

The ads feature two fingers sharing a heartfelt side-glance – the middle-finger is gendered masculine while the comparatively smaller index finger is gendered feminine.

The ad is accompanied by text that reads: "marriage is the union of one man one woman."

Trost's campaign confirmed they're behind the ad but cited confidentiality when asked who they hoped the ad would appeal to.

"Mr. Trost has been pretty clear and in no way supports the idea of gay marriage," campaign spokesperson Mike Patton.

And it's true: Trost has a long history of opposing "homosexual unions."

https://www.pressprogress.ca/conserv...e_sex_marriage (external - login to view)

tay
That Brad Trost’s Conservative leadership bid is quickly becoming an embarrassment to his federal party isn’t really the problem.

That Trost wishes to represent social conservative viewpoint in this leadership race is certainly his right. After all, it is not uncommon for radical voices to be heard in leadership races (though it is absolutely common for parties — be they NDP, Conservatives or whatever — to quickly dispense with such radical views).

However, it’s the way Trost is expressing his view in his federal Conservative leadership run — the notion that his personal views supersede the views, and even the rights, of others — that is simply unacceptable.

But what might be even worse is the way in which Trost is now trivializing both modern, ongoing social concerns and even our worst historical injustices. This is simply intolerable — and offensive.

In doing this, Trost has adopted the Donald Trump political methodology of falsely feeding the notion that it’s actually the most privileged in our society who somehow are now the victims — the very thing widening social divisions south of the border.

To see it creep into our politics is sad. It needs to be called out.

It began with Trost’s proud proclamation that he’s a “a political realist” who recognizes he has no realistic prospect of changing Conservative Party policy, which now supports gay marriage. Alas, that hasn’t dampened his interest in firing up divisive sentiments among some fundamentalist Christians in this country that they somehow are being persecuted for their religious beliefs.

“So many social conservatives are now feeling discriminated against, and that’s why I think it’s still an issue that has relevance,” Trost said.

Trost bases this on the controversy over the private Christian Trinity Western University failing to get its law school accredited because its own code prohibits sexual intimacy outside traditional heterosexual marriage. That such a policy is discriminatory and defies both Canadian human rights codes and laws seems lost on Trost.

Not stopping there, Trost attended a rally in front of the Ontario legislature Wednesday to protest changes to that province’s sexual education curriculum. There, he made an absolutely bizarre proclamation:

The most tragic incident in our history was the residential schools and that was the underlying problem: parental rights were not respected,” he said.

Actually, the tragedy of residential schools was children torn from the their parents, and physically and sexually abused — ironically, by those claiming to be acting on behalf of society by instilling solid Christian values in these children.

That Trost would spew such irresponsible ignorance while representing a province that saw some of the worst atrocities of the residential school era (see: the Gordon reserve residential school sexual abuse convictions) suggests it’s more than sex education that needs to be on the curriculum.

Is it any wonder past Conservative leader Stephen Harper (whose apology and condemnation of residential schools was one of his best moments as prime minister) worked so hard to keep Trost under wraps?

While Trost has wrapped his campaign around the Reform Act promoted by fellow Conservative candidate Michael Chong, which affords MPs greater representative say, what his campaign clearly promotes is more influence only for those who share his personal religious and socially conservative views at the expense of those who don’t.

This is far more offensive than Conservative leadership candidate Kellie Leitch’s “Canadian values” test, which — ironically — Trost opposes because he hopes some new Canadians share his intolerant views toward gays and others.

And Trost is wrapping this around the warped notion that it’s he and others who share his views who are the victims.

This candidacy is simply pathetic.

Mandryk: Trost’s views a pathetic embarrassment | Regina Leader-Post (external - login to view)

petros
It's gonna be Scheer as leader.

Who the hell is Scheer you ask?

Exactly.

If you don't know him it means there is nothing bad to say about him.

tay
Softy balls does still have a show! I'd heard a few years ago he was returning to TV but all I have ever seen is that health commercial repeated endlessly.

Any ways enough about him.....

wwwyoutubecomwatchvNZDnKsttGHQ

Machjo
I like Brad Trost for his stances on abortion and homosexuality. However, it would be extremely unwise to politicize it. Say where you stand on it in principle, but focus on other policies.

Bernier, I like his idea on returning to the gold standard, but how serious is he about it and, if serious, how precisely will he go about it?

Chong, I like his stance on a carbon tax, but don't know much about him otherwise.

Based on the little I know about Leitch, she appears to be out to lunch. Even I would fail her Canadian values test. Will she bring back the Barbaric Cultural Practices Hotline too?
My thoughts so far.

And Trost, I like his ideas on small government in principle. But again, what are we talking about here? If he means reducing government spending, okay. If he means reducing taxes, that could be a problem. Conservatives are known for cutting taxes deeper than they reduce spending. Sometimes they even reduce taxes and then increase spending. Tax cuts should be conditional on expenditure cuts. If Trost can convince me that he makes no promises on reducing or increasing taxes, but focuses instead on reducing expenditure, that can help too.

tay
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

I like Brad Trost for his stances on abortion and homosexuality. However, it would be extremely unwise to politicize it. Say where you stand on it in principle, but focus on other policies.

Bernier, I like his idea on returning to the gold standard, but how serious is he about it and, if serious, how precisely will he go about it?

Chong, I like his stance on a carbon tax, but don't know much about him otherwise.

Based on the little I know about Leitch, she appears to be out to lunch. Even I would fail her Canadian values test. Will she bring back the Barbaric Cultural Practices Hotline too?
My thoughts so far.

And Trost, I like his ideas on small government in principle. But again, what are we talking about here? If he means reducing government spending, okay. If he means reducing taxes, that could be a problem. Conservatives are known for cutting taxes deeper than they reduce spending. Sometimes they even reduce taxes and then increase spending. Tax cuts should be conditional on expenditure cuts. If Trost can convince me that he makes no promises on reducing or increasing taxes, but focuses instead on reducing expenditure, that can help too.

Machjo
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by tayView Post

Okay, so the guy in the picture haes rubber boots. Your point?

tay

I bet the Libs want him to win the leadership.....

Tony Clement wants to be leader of the Conservative Party. Perhaps he believes that the third time will be the charm. But, Bob Hepburn writes (link is external), there are five reasons Clement should reconsider his bid:

Tony Clement’s leadership campaign is struggling to raise funds and attract caucus support, according to a source linked to the campaign.

The source, who asked not to be named, said the campaign has brought in an estimated $12,000, adding they didn’t have an exact number.

Given Clement’s competition in the Conservative leadership race, the situation calls into question how long the former cabinet minister’s campaign can stay afloat.

Even before the last fundraising quarter drew to a close on September 30, some of Clement’s opponents were trumpeting endorsements and large sums raised from donors.

As of early August, Kellie Leitch reported having raised $234,785.59 and Michael Chong said he’d taken in $84,689.38, according to Elections Canada data (external - login to view). Maxime Bernier claimed Thursday that he’s up to $450,000 (external - login to view).

When iPolitics asked a number of campaign veterans in August how much a serious candidate would need to raise to run a credible campaign, the lowest number given was $500,000. Some suggested a figure closer to $1 million. The party has capped individual campaign spending at $5 million.

https://ipolitics.ca/2016/10/07/clements-cash-crunch/ (external - login to view)

Curious Cdn
Conservative
Wouldn't trust 'em any farther than I can throw 'em.

tay
Lisa Raitt’s math on carbon taxes doesn’t add up

“Mr. Speaker, another friend of mine, Marie, has three boys,” Lisa Raitt said on Wednesday during question period.

Raitt is the Conservatives’ finance critic. Across the House of Commons aisle, some Liberals chuckled. Raitt had already asked a question about her friend Susan, a divorced mom in Guelph whose daughters are in university. Susan “hears about some new taxes,” Raitt said. Surely the Liberals didn’t want to introduce new taxes.

Now Raitt was asking about her other friend, Marie. She did not like to hear the Liberals laughing about Marie.

“Are you kidding me? They’re laughing,” she said.

Finally she was able to describe Marie’s predicament.

“My friend Marie has three boys. Her husband just went on disability. They have a hard time making ends meet. She is trying to deal with it as best she can, but the money is just not there. Now she hears about more taxes.”

This is the carbon tax Justin Trudeau says he will implement in provinces that don’t already have a carbon tax, or a cap-and-trade scheme of equivalent effect.

Won’t the Liberals think of Marie, Raitt asked. “The reality is that the van has to be filled up to take the boys to hockey. So ‘Which one of the boys does not get to play hockey next year?’ is the question. She does not understand why the government does not realize she has a tough situation. Because if it did, it would not raise her taxes. What comfort does the government have to give her?”

Later that evening, video of the whole tableau — Raitt starting her question, the snide Liberal snickering, Raitt expostulating, Raitt finishing her question — was on Rona Ambrose’s Facebook page. “The Liberals are so out of touch from what ordinary Canadians are facing,” the Conservative interim leader wrote. It was right over her photos from a mid-week conference in the United Kingdom.

Let us ponder Marie’s case, to get in touch with ordinary Canadians.

Trudeau’s carbon tax, in provinces that don’t already price carbon, would be $10 per tonne of carbon emissions next year, rising to $50 a tonne in the fifth year. It’s been estimated this would boost the price of gas by about 11 cents a litre at the pump in year five.
Raitt was artfully imprecise about where Marie lives. That’s because Ontario, which Raitt represents in the House of Commons, already has a cap-and-trade scheme in place and should not expect to worry about a $50-per-tonne federal tax on top of that.

Perhaps Marie is in New Brunswick.

Wherever she lives, if her kids are in house-league hockey they are probably young enough to qualify for the Canada Child Benefit, introduced in Bill Morneau’s first budget. If Marie’s family income is $60,000 per year and her children are ages 6, 12 and 14, she’ll qualify for about $11,500 a year in child benefits, tax-free. This compares to $3,600 in taxable benefits under the Harper government’s old Canada Child Tax Benefit. Let’s say she now nets an extra $8,500 a year.

Marie must drive a lot, if carbon taxes tip the balance. Perhaps she drives a Ram ProMaster City, whose combined city-highway fuel efficiency, I learn, comes out to 9.8 litres per 100 kilometres. Kind of middling. At 11 cents per litre, that means 100 km of driving would cost her an extra $1.08.

To use up her net gain from the Canada Child Benefit on costlier hockey trips, Marie would need to drive 787,000 km a year. If the hockey season lasts 120 days, that’s 6,558 km per day. Perhaps Marie plans to drive from Moncton to Winnipeg and back for her kids’ games. If so, her enemy would not be the Liberals, but the provincial police: to get from Moncton to Winnipeg and back within a day she would need to drive at a constant speed of 273 km/h.

That’s in the fifth year of a carbon tax. If Marie is lucky, one of her children will simply be too old to make the daily Moncton-to-Winnipeg hockey trek by then. It’s worth remembering that in the last year, just from market fluctuations, the average retail price for gas in Canada has wandered between a low of 83 cents and a high of $1.10 — a range of 27 cents, or nearly two and a half times the 11-cent burden Trudeau threatens.

Raitt is thought to be contemplating a run at the Conservative leadership.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...aul-wells.html

lone wolf
Free Thinker
Tony may get the gazebo as a consolation prize

Murphy
Conservative
+1
Kellie Leitch has terrible handlers. Image is everything in politics. And image has nothing to do with the truth.

I have spoken with her on at least six occasions, and written her three times. I received a form letter response from one. The other two were ignored. Since her handlers and staff are actually the ones who answer correspondence, this shows that whoever is running her office and political affairs is falling down on the job.

As a doctor, I expected to see her show genuine compassion and understanding for the difficulties that children, seniors and the disadvantaged suffer from on a daily basis. As well, with CFB Borden in her riding, I expected her to show some concern for aging veterans. She has ignored all these concerns when questioned. She has continually ignored questions about health, unless corralled. I found this strange, considering she is an orthopedic pediatric surgeon, I expected that she would have some educated, thoughtful opinions about healthcare in Canada. I was wrong.

I wrote this on her Facebook page last winter.

You should return to the medical profession full time and leave governance to people with a sense of direction, and genuine concern for Canadians.

Many of us at CFB Borden were confused by your lack of support for vets - for our medical and mental health issues, as well as pension problems. The CPC closed offices that helped vets get medical treatment and deal with issues like post traumatic stress disorder.

We watched you on CPAC vote down a bill to eliminate the bridge benefit for retired veterans of the CF and the RCMP. It wasn't a big amount - a couple hundred dollars a month - but that small amount would have helped put nutritious food on our tables for those of us on fixed incomes.

We were disappointed that you and the CPC ignored the health of our children too. As a doctor, you know the importance of a proper diet and nutrition for growing bodies. You didn't seem to care about that either.

I am a card carrying Conservative. You have stood in my living room. What you told me and my family were not what you said in Ottawa. I believe that in your heart you know better, but perhaps politics is all you think about now. It's sad.

It seems that you really don't care about the average Canadian.

Addendum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kellie_Leitch (external - login to view)

If you scroll to the bottom of this page, you will see the results for the past two elections in her riding. Turnout was about the same for both, but support from 2011 to 2015 changed.

Conservative support dropped by almost 2% in the 2015 election compared to 2011. Not statistically important, but a drop. A compelling factoid is that Liberal support went from approx. 17.4% in 2011, to 38.6% in 2015 - an increase of 21.2% for the Grits.

Going by actual voter numbers, the Liberals improved by 25.9%.

Voter anger pro prompted this, so her campaign people have their work cut out for them, I think.

tay
+1
It's been a year since the Harper government was sent packing. But, Gerry Caplan writes, if those vying to replace Stephen Harper are any indication, their defeat taught the Conservatives nothing:

There’s the widespread view among people within the party that the problem was their “tone.” It’s not at all clear what they think they mean by this, but it seems to have little to do with a series of mean and bigoted policies that failed to appeal to any but the Conservative base. The Harperites have, so far, not morphed into Boris Johnson or Donald Trump. However, they haven't morphed into anything:

For example, take Kellie Leitch, who seemed at first to be ashamed of her shabby role in the Conservative pledge to establish a tip line to report barbaric cultural practices to the RCMP, but has since doubled down on the very notion.

As a leadership candidate, she is promoting a “discussion” of Canadian values for immigrants. Yet when given an opportunity by interviewers, she refuses to discuss anything except how very, very much she wants to discuss. So she simply advances her meaningless slogan, then repeats it over and over again without any elaboration.

Chris Alexander now claims he loves immigrants. But, Caplan asks, "Who can doubt his sincerity?"

Then there's Maxime Bernier. "Quebec MP Maxime Bernier wants to turn Canada into a libertarian dystopia; he’s the Ayn Rand candidate, beloved no doubt by many impressionable first-year university students."

And, of course, there's Brad Trost:

Someone named Brad Trost – allegedly an MP from Saskatchewan – offers to turn the clock back by repudiating both a woman’s right to choose and same-sex marriage.

The Conservative Party itself entered modern history only in May when its convention voted that marriage need not be defined as between a man and woman, something Canada itself had decided a decade ago. But history is moving far too fast for Mr. Trost and for that third of the convention delegates who voted against the resolution. But early indications are that they are resisting Mr. Trost’s reactionary lure.

Harper's Conservatives were always stuck in the 19th century. The only member of the party who wasn't was Michael Chong. And, for that reason, Chong will face a tough slog for the leadership of the party.

Lessons learned? There's no evidence of that.

In the race to replace Harper, have Conservatives learned nothing? - The Globe and Mail

pgs
Free Thinker

It's been a year since the Harper government was sent packing. But, Gerry Caplan writes, if those vying to replace Stephen Harper are any indication, their defeat taught the Conservatives nothing:
There’s the widespread view among people within the party that the problem was their “tone.” It’s not at all clear what they think they mean by this, but it seems to have little to do with a series of mean and bigoted policies that failed to appeal to any but the Conservative base. The Harperites have, so far, not morphed into Boris Johnson or Donald Trump. However, they haven't morphed into anything:
For example, take Kellie Leitch, who seemed at first to be ashamed of her shabby role in the Conservative pledge to establish a tip line to report barbaric cultural practices to the RCMP, but has since doubled down on the very notion.
As a leadership candidate, she is promoting a “discussion” of Canadian values for immigrants. Yet when given an opportunity by interviewers, she refuses to discuss anything except how very, very much she wants to discuss. So she simply advances her meaningless slogan, then repeats it over and over again without any elaboration.
Chris Alexander now claims he loves immigrants. But,...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
Yup let the left leaning presstitutes determine conservative policy . Good idea .

Danbones
Free Thinker
they are allowed to point out the absurdities
its a two way street

tay
Conservative leadership candidate Steven Blaney came under fire Sunday for referring to Canadian-born rival Michael Chong as a "model of integration," during an appearance on CTV's Question Period.

The comment came during a discussion of Blaney's plan to tighten immigration rules, if he comes to lead a Conservative government in the future. Question Period host Evan Solomon pressed Blaney on the issue, pointing out that Blaney's rivals, including Michael Chong and Deepak Obhrai, have suggested he's on the wrong track.

"To me, you know, Deepak Obhrai and Michael Chong are models of integration," Blaney said, adding: "Multiculturalism is about welcoming Canadians from all around the world, no matter what is their beliefs or where they come from."

Obhrai was born in Tanzania, but Chong hails from the city of Windsor, Ont.

"First of all, Michael Chong of course was born in Canada, so I don't know if he integrated," Solomon pointed out during the interview.

Blaney did not acknowledge the mistake about Chong in his response.

Steven Blaney criticized for calling Canadian-born rival Michael Chong a 'model of integration' | CTV News (external - login to view)

tay
Conservative leadership candidate Lisa Raitt says applying a values test to those who want to immigrate to Canada could slow down the country's growth.

In an interview with Evan Solomon, host of CTV's Question Period, Raitt said any debate around immigration should be about helping to grow the country.

"Putting something like a values test in that place, in that space, I think is going to have the opposite effect and it'll chill people wanting to come here," Raitt said.

Whether aspiring Canadians should face a values test has been a major question in the Conservative leadership race so far after Ontario MP Kellie Leitch said she wants to see immigrants screened for their beliefs (external - login to view) before they become citizens. Quebec MP Steven Blaney has gone further, echoing the need for a modified citizenship test but adding a call to force women to remove any face veils before taking the citizenship oath, and calling for a Royal Commission into Canadian identity.

Raitt says she is friends with Leitch and Blaney, both of whom have the right to raise these issues during the leadership race. But, she says, if security or education are a concern, those are the systems that should be improved.

"I don't agree with them," Raitt said.

The 12 confirmed Conservative candidates will have the chance to face off for the first time in a leadership debate Wednesday night in Saskatoon.

Canadian values test could 'chill' immigration, Lisa Raitt says | CTV News (external - login to view)

JLM
No Party Affiliation
+1

Conservative leadership candidate Lisa Raitt says applying a values test to those who want to immigrate to Canada could slow down the country's growth.
In an interview with Evan Solomon, host of CTV's Question Period, Raitt said any debate around immigration should be about helping to grow the country.
"Putting something like a values test in that place, in that space, I think is going to have the opposite effect and it'll chill people wanting to come here," Raitt said.
Whether aspiring Canadians should face a values test has been a major question in the Conservative leadership race so far after Ontario MP Kellie Leitch said she wants to see immigrants screened for their beliefs before they become citizens. Quebec MP Steven Blaney has gone further, echoing the need for a modified citizenship test but adding a call to force women to remove any face veils before taking the citizenship oath, and calling for a Royal Commission into Canadian identity.
Raitt says she is friends with Leitch and Blaney, both of whom have the right to raise these issues during the leadership race. But, she says, if security or education are a concern, those are the systems that should be improved.

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post

After the huge influx of Syrian refugees would it be a bad idea to "chill" immigration for a couple of years? We could use the breathing space to bring communities in northern Manitoba and northern Ontario up to snuff! Maybe in the north generally.

tay
Looks like we have a battle a brewin......

Conservative leadership candidate Kellie Leitch is slamming her rival candidates — notably Lisa Raitt — who oppose her proposal for screening new immigrants for “anti-Canadian values.”

Leitch made the pitch back in September and has been attacked for the proposal ever since; many accuse her of putting forth an unworkable policy to exploit “dog whistle” political messaging.

Meanwhile, Leitch has doubled down on the tactic.

“Add Lisa Raitt to the list of Conservative leadership candidates who WILL NOT screen visitors, refugees or immigrants for anti-Canadian values,” Leitch said in a fundraising email that went out to supporters Sunday evening.

At her official leadership launch in Toronto Friday, former cabinet minister and Tory MP Raitt said that maintaining a strong immigration system that helps immigrants prosper in Canada is more important than having a test “determining whether or not you enjoy freedom, or if you like maple syrup.”

Raitt told CTV’s Question Period on Sunday (external - login to view) that “putting something like a values test in that place, in that space, I think is going to have the opposite effect and it’ll chill people wanting to come here.”

“Lisa said that she won’t screen immigrants for anti-Canadian values before granting them permanent residency status. She says a values test will put a ‘chill’ on people wanting to come to Canada,” said Leitch in her fundraising pitch.

“Lisa has decided to stand with the left-wing media elite and the rest of the Conservative candidates who don’t want to stand up for our shared Canadian values.”

The email lists all of the candidates who oppose Leitch’s proposal, including Maxime Bernier, Andrew Scheer, Chris Alexander, Michael Chong and Deepak Obhrai.

Leitch slams Raitt for opposing ‘anti-Canadian values’ test (external - login to view)

no new posts