Alberta NDP removes environmental group created by PCs

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
And they saved a whole bunch of money doing it too!

Environmental monitoring core responsibility of government, minister says

Monitoring the environmental impacts of industry is a core function of government, and the vital work should be the responsibility not of an arm's-length agency but of the province itself, says Alberta Environment Minister Shannon Phillips.

The minister announced Tuesday the government will disband the Alberta Environmental Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting Agency, created two years ago under the Conservatives.

Under the new system, the province will retain AEMERA's independent scientific review panel, but that panel, now headed by a chief scientist, will report directly to the department.

The panel will advise the chief scientist about what to monitor and how often to do so, and will report on its performance.

"In the past there have been questions about the credibility and transparency of this work," Phillips said. "Environmental monitoring will now take its place alongside public safety and public health as part of the core business of government."

Environmental monitoring core responsibility of government, minister says - Edmonton - CBC News

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
I have waited a long time for good news such as this,
a very long time as a matter of fact,
i know all about agencies,boards,commissions which are created under certain governments,placed simply these creations are not always what one may think they are,and more so who and what they repersent is questionable,the publics confidence may be mislead by such design.
for example but not exclusive,is the wh ore Commission,yes Commission or something like that being the grandaddy of sculpuring a design which serves the public with little interest.
Public compaints commission against the RCMP,not sure what it is like now,but in the old days,this Commission was so very useless.It was a Commission of mixed up proportions,the lowest of lowest when repersenting the Canadian public and more so the Officers they serve.My information auditing journey was to explore how could something intended to be so good, could be so very bad,in conclusion the whole auditing experience was interesting and self explanatary. I was disgusted.
thanks for the good news.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Yes because ministers are environmental professionals, and have the knowledge that more wind and solar plants result in higher carbon production from gas plants to compensate for low performance times overall.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
How will money be saved if there are the same people doing the same job? Just sounds like Analfloss has found more Clingons.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Perhaps the goal should be to operate as efficiently as possible while following the guidelines instead of hiding the parts that do not meet the current regs. With business shutting down and vacancies on the rise that means some plants are closing down or at least lowering output so perhaps the older ones be shut down and the newer ones run at close to max output.
I would imagine all the charts about financial outlook for a change over has never allowed for cost over-runs and on projects like this that could almost be equal to the original contract once repair costs are factored in.