Suncor shifts focus from oilsands to solar energy

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Heeeeeere come the deniers.....

Canada's Suncor plans 240 MW of Alberta solar projects

March 25 (SeeNews) - Canadian energy firm Suncor Energy Inc (TSE:SU) is in the early stage of development of 240 MW of solar projects in Alberta province, which would mark its entry into the solar sector.

The company is mainly focused on oil sands development, conventional and offshore oil and gas production and petroleum refining and sale. For now, its operational renewables portfolio includes 287 MW of gross wind power capacity and an ethanol plant.

The three 80-MW solar projects are in the “very preliminary development stage”, the National Observer said Wednesday, citing spokesperson Nicole Fisher. A System Access Service Request (SASR) has been submitted to the Alberta Electric System Operator (AESO) for each one. According to the report, the solar farms are to be hooked to the grid by March 2018.

Suncor reported an operating profit of CAD 56 million (USD 42.3m/EUR 38m) from its renewable energy business in 2015, with power generation of 407 GWh and ethanol production at 418,000 cu m. It posted a consolidated net loss of CAD 2.65 billion for the year, widening from CAD 1.42 billion in 2014. In the fourth quarter alone, Suncor’s net loss was CAD 2.01 billion, mainly reflecting lower crude oil prices and impairment charges.

https://renewables.seenews.com/news/canadas-suncor-plans-240-mw-of-alberta-solar-projects-518489

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Are they asking for subsidy's or are they using their own financing ?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Subsidies and cap n trade. Evil Corp made a killing on SO2 cap n trade "emissions trading" back when we were all going to die from acid rain.

Why not double down with another scare?

Hey flossy why are you always late for dinner? Suncor is already a big player in renewables. Same goes for other O&G companies like transalta.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Subsidies and cap n trade. Evil Corp made a killing on SO2 cap n trade "emissions trading" back when we were all going to die from acid rain.

Hey flossy why are you always late for dinner? Suncor is already a big player in renewables. Same goes for other O&G companies like transalta.

he's on the prog mailing list of the national observer. his inbox smells like the freshly-showered unicorn voc's-laden febreze.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

Biggest investor in renewables in the world is BP.

As to mentalfloss, he's late because before he didn't want to admit that the EEE-vil oil companies are actually being more effective than Al Gore and Lenny the Goat at making renewables more cost-effective and reliable.

Now that he sees it as a chance to crow over the Death of Big Oil, he's all over it.

Ideology first, petros. Then (if ever) facts.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

As to mentalfloss, he's late because before he didn't want to admit that the EEE-vil oil companies are actually being more effective than Al Gore and Lenny the Goat at making renewables more cost-effective and reliable.

Now that he sees it as a chance to crow over the Death of Big Oil, he's all over it.

First of all, what a propaganda thread. Hilarious.

Second of all, Lenny the Goat, if that is a reference to Leonardo DiCaprio I say well done.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
They produce 407 GWh, and 24 MWh is a "major shift in focus"

LOL
Why not run your remote exploration camp operations on solar instead of cutting km after km of forest down for the km after km of copper wire strung from thousands of fir or cedar power poles?

It's cheaper and subsidized.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Thank you, sir. Back from the Ice?

Why yes, yes I am.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
This far north would they not have to build them on a south facing slope of a hill to eliminate losing a lot of area to shadows? The swamps have lots of ridges that run in that direction.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Unstable used to mean less than 4ft of ice. I knew a few couples who worked the same machine. It seemed to work out pretty good.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

I've made posts already about Exxon and Transcanada making the shift.

And Trudeau has admitted to keeping subsidies for the flailing oil industry.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Oil companies are not stupid. They can't afford to be. The writing is on the wall for oil and while it might hang on for a few more decades its existence as a fuel is going to go the same way as wood and coal. Environmentalists might crow at Big Oil seemingly changing direction, but it isn't really; it it simply doing what it has always done, watching its bottom line.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Oil companies are not stupid. They can't afford to be. The writing is on the wall for oil and while it might hang on for a few more decades its existence as a fuel is going to go the same way as wood and coal. Environmentalists might crow at Big Oil seemingly changing direction, but it isn't really; it it simply doing what it has always done, watching its bottom line.
Lots of houses still use wood burning stoves out here .
And we still mine a lot of coal in western Alberta and eastern B.C.
So no wood and coal did not go anywhere .

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

I hope to be around a few more decades. I also hope that we find an alternative energy. I'm willing to bet that oil will be around for another generation or so and that the AGW crowd will go the way of the blue suede shoes once the public wakes up to the fact that they are having their pockets picked by a bunch of crazies.

I took this video a few weeks ago approximately 200 km south of the Arctic Circle.
Amazingly, it was still frozen two years after Gore's claim.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I'll take "people who don't understand the word 'may' for $100 Alex."

Who are climate deniers?

Nice.