Mike Myers says Canada poised 'for very fantastic things'

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Mike Myers says Canada poised 'for very fantastic things'

Toronto native Mike Myers is bursting with Canadian pride these days, thanks in part to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, and the movie star has been spreading his love for his homeland around Washington, D.C., over the past week.

Myers was in the U.S. capital to attend last Thursday's state dinner at the White House held in Trudeau's honour. He was one of several Hollywood celebrities with Canadian roots who were on the guest list. Others included Michael J. Fox, Sandra Oh and Ryan Reynolds.

On his way in to the glamorous, black-tie event, Myers told reporters he was feeling so proud to be Canadian and "thrilled" that Trudeau is leading the country. He repeated that sentiment about Trudeau again Wednesday night at an event at the Canadian Embassy in Washington.

Myers was there to lend his support to the Invictus Games, a sporting event started by Prince Harry for injured active duty military members and veterans. More than 500 competitors from 15 countries will participate in various sports at the 2016 games in Orlando, Fla., in May.

The event at the embassy marked the 50-day countdown to Orlando, and Prince Harry announced via a video message that Toronto will host the 2017 games.

"As I saw Prince Harry I'm reminded that I am British by heritage, American by God's grace and Canadian by divine intervention," Myers said in his speech. "I actually have three passports, which would make me an international man of mystery," he joked, making reference to the character he played in his hit movie Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery.

Mike Myers says Canada poised 'for very fantastic things' - World - CBC News