A Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian is a

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Liberals move to overhaul rules on revoking, granting citizenship

The federal government is scrapping measures brought in by the Conservatives that allow Ottawa to revoke the citizenship of Canadians convicted of terrorism and other offences.

Legislation last year allowed Canadians who held dual nationalities to be stripped of their Canadian citizenship if they were found guilty of terrorism, treason or spying offences.

The Liberals campaigned on a promise to revoke the measures and have now made good on their pledge. Immigration Minister John McCallum introduced his new bill when the House of Commons began sitting Thursday.

"It will still be possible to revoke citizenship, as it always has been, for those who misrepresent who they are or who are guilty of citizenship fraud," McCallum told reporters.

"I think under the previous law there was a risk of a slippery slope," he said. "If one crime made you eligible for revocation this year, what crimes could be added next year?

"We do have a criminal justice system. We do have courts. We do have prisons where those convicted of crimes are sent. And that is the way in which we deal with this."

Toronto 18 ringleader's citizenship restored

During the campaign, the Conservatives moved to revoke the citizenship of Zakaria Amara of the so-called Toronto 18, a group of men convicted for plotting to place bombs in Southern Ontario, but the matter is still before the courts.

An exchange on the issue between then-prime minister Stephen Harper and current Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was one of the more heated moments in the federal leaders debate on foreign policy, with Harper asking why those convicted of terrorism shouldn't have their citizenship taken away.

"A Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian," Trudeau responded.

Liberals move to overhaul rules on revoking, granting citizenship - Politics - CBC News

justfred99

Nominee Member
Aug 2, 2015
North America
Yes, the lying Liberals now allow someone who is a terrorist kill people (preferably Conservatives) and stay on as citizens of Canada, but if they commit fraud in the application process, remove them. Should we suggest that these terrorists must vote Liberal in order to keep their citizenship? Or will the lying liberal assume that they always will.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
The Liberals would save a lot of time if they just struck down all rules and regulations regarding immigration and citizenship, forget about National borders and just put the message out to the whole world,

"Come to Canada! It doesn't matter who you are, what you have done or what you are planning to do - C'mon in! If you can't get a job, speak the language, obey the law,, doesn't matter. We, the Liberal Government will look after you. . Canada is the ideal place for you to reside while you plot out how to kill, blow up and/or destroy everything we have".
"All you will ever have to do is vote Liberal and we will guarantee your safety and standing as a Canadian".

Watch for the next best seller, 'How to be a Canadian' by Bobblehead McCallum.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
So, my cuz can lose his citizenship if he lied about his employment history, but terrorism and treason are totally ok. Justin Trudeau, wake the hell up.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The Liberals would save a lot of time if they just struck down all rules and regulations regarding immigration and citizenship, forget about National borders and just put the message out to the whole world,

"Come to Canada! It doesn't matter who you are, what you have done or what you are planning to do - C'mon in! If you can't get a job, speak the language, obey the law,, doesn't matter. We, the Liberal Government will look after you. . Canada is the ideal place for you to reside while you plot out how to kill, blow up and/or destroy everything we have".
"All you will ever have to do is vote Liberal and we will guarantee your safety and standing as a Canadian".

Watch for the next best seller, 'How to be a Canadian' by Bobblehead McCallum.

US Democrat model.

No amount of immigrants will affect them personally. They will still live in their financially segregated communities.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
I love what this Canadian federal government is doing with the citizenship act. I will finally lose my second class citizen status. This affects a lot more than 1 terrorist more like all the people that were not born in Canada living in this country. The previous Conservative MPs did not understand what they were passing just because they were muzzled and not free to talk about it only what was on the taking points that they were forced to follow. Canada belongs to all Canadians and at least this government is respecting that.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
From the Canadian Oath of Citizenship:

...and that I will faithfully observe the laws of Canada and fulfil my duties as a Canadian citizenship.

It sounds to me like the terms of this contract are pretty clear. Can't hold up your end? Agreement terminated.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yes, the lying Liberals now allow someone who is a terrorist kill people (preferably Liberals) and stay on as citizens of Canada, but if they commit fraud in the application process, remove them. Should we suggest that these terrorists must vote Liberal in order to keep their citizenship? Or will the lying liberal assume that they always will.

Your post was good up to the brackets. There F.I.F.Y.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
From the Canadian Oath of Citizenship:

...and that I will faithfully observe the laws of Canada and fulfil my duties as a Canadian citizenship.

It sounds to me like the terms of this contract are pretty clear. Can't hold up your end? Agreement terminated.
Trudope has a real problem with agreements and contracts. On the one hand, he's saying immigrants don't have to live up to their agreements, and yet he's going ahead with other agreements/contracts because "we're bound to them". Oh yeah man, we still have to sell Saudi a bunch of military equipment even though the whole world knows what complete a$$holes they are and that they are the prime supporter of Islamic terrorism in the Middle East but hey, we gots a contract with them.
Same with the scientists in the federal employ. Is Trupoe going to permit ALL federal civil servants to ignore the condition of employment that they NOT speak publicly about policy etc?
He now says he can't legalize pot because of an agreement.
The goof is about as consistent as a wind turbine generating power in Southern Ontario.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Here is an idea. NO DUAL CITIZENSHIP.

Either you are Canadian or you aren't.

If you become a US citizen, the US government requires that you give up citizenship to any other country.

However I don't think the US government enforces this requirement but you do sign a document saying that you do give up other citizenships prior to you being given a US citizenship.

(Know this from relatives experience)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
If you become a US citizen, the US government requires that you give up citizenship to any other country.

However I don't think the US government enforces this requirement but you do sign a document saying that you do give up other citizenships prior to you being given a US citizenship.

(Know this from relatives experience)

In Canada's case, Canada does not recognize this as a revocation of citizenship.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Trudope has a real problem with agreements and contracts. On the one hand, he's saying immigrants don't have to live up to their agreements, and yet he's going ahead with other agreements/contracts because "we're bound to them". Oh yeah man, we still have to sell Saudi a bunch of military equipment even though the whole world knows what complete a$$holes they are and that they are the prime supporter of Islamic terrorism in the Middle East but hey, we gots a contract with them.
Same with the scientists in the federal employ. Is Trupoe going to permit ALL federal civil servants to ignore the condition of employment that they NOT speak publicly about policy etc?
He now says he can't legalize pot because of an agreement.
The goof is about as consistent as a wind turbine generating power in Southern Ontario.

Little Lord Fauntleroy is just getting his first lessons in what the real world is like. What experience did he ever have with the real world before he became PM?
It would be easy for him to make outrageous promises; I imagine his whole life what he WANTED was his for the asking. Now he's finding that what he wants the world to be like is not what the world is like or is ever going to be like.
Stupid guy, still thinks he can make it the way he wants it to be?

Watching the Republican debate last night, one of the questions of Trump was, "if you're going to build a wall to keep Mexicans out, shouldn't you also build a wall between U.S. and Canada, considering their refugee policy?"
That tell us that others are paying attention to what is happening here and they don't like it!

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
That tell us that others are paying attention to what is happening here and they don't like it!

I don't think Trump and his supporters like anything, anywhere. The way they look at problems and their potential solutions can hardly be considered a step forward in any terms. He's scary. Almost as scary as the amount of support he has among the populace. Maybe we should be thinking about a wall. :)

I'm still reserving judgment on our new Prime Minister, it's pretty early in his term and these are particularly difficult times for Canada that would be a challenge to any leader. I like that he's taking steps toward heightened environmental responsibility, and that his foreign policy is trying to move us back from open conflict. I'd like to see what he has in mind to win back the economic ground lost due to the oil price crash, that will fill in a lot of blanks.