Indigenous groups disappointed by lack of invite to first ministers' meeting

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Organizations calling on premiers to hold Trudeau accountable to his promise of inclusion

By Kristy Kirkup, The Canadian Press Posted: Feb 23, 2016 3:53 PM ET Last Updated: Feb 23, 2016 3:53 PM ET

The Congress of Aboriginal Peoples and the Native Women's Association of Canada have written to the premiers to complain about being left out of discussions prior to next week's first ministers meeting.

The letter, obtained by The Canadian Press, expresses surprise and "great disappointment" at the lack of an invitation from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

It also calls on the premiers to hold Trudeau accountable to his promise of inclusion.

"At a meeting held on Dec. 16, 2015, the prime minister reiterated the federal government's commitment to include all five [national aboriginal organizations] in high-level discussions pertaining to indigenous issues," it reads.

"It is extremely important that all indigenous voices are heard and not just a select few."

Dwight Dorey, the national chief of the Congress of Aboriginal Peoples, which represents about 1.1 million indigenous people living off-reserve, said the government's decision does not make sense to him.

"In talking to some of the premiers, they're ... shocked at it," Dorey said in an interview. "It is clearly discrimination. It goes totally against the commitment that the prime minister made."

Dorey said he's seeking the support of the premiers in the hope it will convince Trudeau to invite both the congress and NWAC.

In a statement, the Prime Minister's Office said Trudeau would meet the premiers, the Assembly of First Nations, the Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami and the Métis National Council ahead of the first ministers meeting "in the context of a renewed nation-to-nation relationship."

The meetings do not in any way preclude ongoing discussions with all five national aboriginal organizations, as committed to by the prime minister late last year, the statement said.

"The government of Canada has committed to working and meeting regularly with the national aboriginal organizations, and will continue to engage in robust bilateral discussions with all five ... on issues of importance to their members," said spokesperson Andree-Lyne Halle.

Halle did not provide a specific explanation on why The Congress of Aboriginal Peoples and the Native Women's Association were not invited.

NDP indigenous affairs critic Charlie Angus said he is still trying to figure out what the government is trying to accomplish by leaving out the two groups.

"Mr. Trudeau said he was going to end Stephen Harper's standard operating practice of picking winners and losers and creating confrontation by excluding people he didn't want to hear from," Angus said.

"The message they're sending is, 'There are going to be winners and losers with this new government."'

Indigenous groups disappointed by lack of invite to first ministers' meeting - Aboriginal - CBC

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I guess the 'honeymoon' period is over, eh Bear.
It never started for those who saw through the platitudes and talking points.

I guess I didn't buy it because I'm a faux FN'er. You know no FN'er would ever question talking points and platitudes.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
And rang as true as the thousands of talking points and platitudes that came before them.

Gotta tell you Bear, the Lib's mantra is really and truly wearing thin in this household. I'm getting to the point that when the news switches to a vid of Justin talking, I mute the sound. I got tired of yelling at the TV set.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
To be fair, no different here. Every candidate takes a swing out to Indian country, promise peace, justic, and handouts, then when they get into office never hear about it again.
When I was busting my butt putting up those dang bleachers back in 73 in Flag for the pow wow I didn't see any of the natives offering a hand. The bastids.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
In a statement, the Prime Minister's Office said Trudeau would meet the premiers, the Assembly of First Nations, the Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami and the Métis National Council ahead of the first ministers meeting "in the context of a renewed nation-to-nation relationship."

Looks to me like he is keeping his promise. I don't remember him saying he would meet or allow every special interest group in to these meetings.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Looks to me like he is keeping his promise. I don't remember him saying he would meet or allow every special interest group in to these meetings.
Here lies the problem, not all Nations believe the Assembly to be their voice.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Then I guess they should get their act together.
Just because they think the Assembly is a federal puppet doesn't mean they don't have their act together.

Besides, when they attempt to get their act together, the feds have a tendency to do things like use the courts to appoint fed friendly councils, or council members.

This is kind of why I knew he was talking through his hat.