MPs discuss whether to cancel Friday sittings of the Commons

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
this ain't no cubicle position kids. you arseholes applied for this job. cram your sunny ways up yer hole.

Members of Parliament are considering whether to cancel Friday sittings and move that day’s legislative workload to earlier in the week.
The purpose would be to find a way for MPs to get home to their ridings Thursday evening, so they have more time with their family and constituents on Friday.

The suggestion was part of a package of ideas presented Thursday to a House of Commons committee by Government House Leader Dominic LeBlanc, whose Liberal government wants to make Parliament more “family-friendly.”

MPs on the Procedure and House Affairs Committee will study potential changes. “My informal conversations with colleagues in all political parties have been very encouraging,” LeBlanc said.

“We can collectively try in our own sphere (to) make some changes that reflect … the reality that we have younger colleagues and parents of younger children, and more women than perhaps there were here two generations ago.”

Ottawa West-Nepean Liberal MP Anita Vandenbeld said she welcomes the changes, noting that she has talked to MPs with young children who travel long distances to get home.

mo

MPs discuss whether to cancel Friday sittings of the Commons | Ottawa Citizen

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
MPs knew when they took the job that they would have to travel and be away from their families for extended periods of time. Now they want to change the rules to suit their schedules.
This is one good reason why politicians should not be so young. Not only should they be near home raising their families, they don't have enough life experience to do the job of running a country.
MPs don't work hard enough when they are in Ottawa anyway. If they want to cut their hours in Parliament they might consider a pay cut too.
Funny isn't it, how politicians fight to get their jobs and then complain about how hard they have to work and how poor the conditions are! But they don't mind giving themselves raises whenever the spirit moves them!

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Anybody that drags their *** away from their computer monitor, leaves their house and engages themselves with their communities would know how much time many MPs and MLAs spend on weekends, serving their constituents. I think it's a great idea.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I don't see anything wrong with rearranging schedules just so long as the work gets done. If it leads to a slack off in work, then they put in a full week.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Anybody that drags their *** away from their computer monitor, leaves their house and engages themselves with their communities would know how much time many MPs and MLAs spend on weekends, serving their constituents. I think it's a great idea.

You couldn't just disagree without making the assumption that the poster has his axx glued in front of the monitor and doesn't know what's going on in the community. That's the kind of attitude that makes forums so user friendly

If they spend their weekends serving their constituents why are they citing 'family' time as their reason for Fridays off?
Could you list some of the things they do on weekends to serve their constituents?
Our local MP, Michael Chong is conscientious and always available to us but he doesn't work every weekend. He has a young family but he has never complained about his work load or travel time. He is presently serving his 4th consecutive term and still very popular.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
One of the commentators on Power Play made the point yesterday that very few MPs are around on Fridays anyway and that if they start taking it off then Thursday will be much the same. Still, many of the MPs have a long way to travel to get back to their constituencies, and several of the new bunch have young families. What the hell, if they get the work done - I have no problem with it.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
It's not an assumption. Anybody that thinks an MP doesn't do anything is ridiculously misinformed

You are soooooo informed - so why don't you answer my question? What do they do on weekends that is so important and why do they want weekends for 'family time' if they're so busy WORKING on weekends?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
You are soooooo informed

Not really. I just get out a lot. Our MP and MLA are always out in the community on weekends whether it's a parade, community supper, golf course fundraiser or charter night for the local Lions club....and that doesn't even include political meeting. If you were involved at all in your community, it would be plain to see.