Time for M.P. salary cut?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
These election promises are beginning to get a little onerous. Methinks perhaps a 10% cut in M.P.'s salaries might go a fair way toward paying for them. Also if the cost of fulfilling politicians promises started coming out of their pockets, they may start to think these promises through before making them. What do you think? Is 10% enough?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
These election promises are beginning to get a little onerous. Methinks perhaps a 10% cut in M.P.'s salaries might go a fair way toward paying for them. Also if the cost of fulfilling politicians promises started coming out of their pockets, they may start to think these promises through before making them. What do you think? Is 10% enough?

Our federal politicians and officers are paid pretty fairly, if you ask me. They are paid substantially less than their counterparts in the United States (a more than $75,000 CAD difference), Australia (nearly $30,000 CAD less), and about the same as their United Kingdom counterparts.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Since you are the one that brought this up, how much money would we save per year with your 10% cut?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Since you are the one that brought this up, how much money would we save per year with your 10% cut?

What do you think I am? A f**king mathematician? How about a "stab in the dark" of 4 million a year? What's your estimate?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
What do you think I am? A f**king mathematician? How about a "stab in the dark" of 4 million a year? What's your estimate?

You brought it up, as if it would save taxpayers a lot of money. If it doesn't save a significant amount, then it's useless. I had assumed, wrongly obviously, that you had researched this since you posted a thread on it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You brought it up, as if it would save taxpayers a lot of money. If it doesn't save a significant amount, then it's useless. I had assumed, wrongly obviously, that you had researched this since you posted a thread on it.

"Every little bit helps" said the old woman as she pissed in the ocean.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
With all the crap they go through to become MP's I don't mind paying them well.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
"Every little bit helps" said the old woman as she pissed in the ocean.

the actual savings would be 6 million dollars. Last years budget showed an expenditure of 288 BILLION dollars. It would be a miniscule drop in the bucket.

Just over $5.6 million, actually.

$167,400 x 0.1 x 335 = $5,607,900

If you're going to do it, then you should included the added salary for cabinet ministers and the PM.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
We pay them "okay". We get the " B" team in politics because anyone with brains or ambition seek their fortunes out in the private sector.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Just over $5.6 million, actually.

$167,400 x 0.1 x 335 = $5,607,900

Oh, even better than I thought. That should buy a few pizzas........................delux ones at that! :)

the actual savings would be 6 million dollars. Last years budget showed an expenditure of 288 BILLION dollars. It would be a miniscule drop in the bucket.

If you're going to do it, then you should included the added salary for cabinet ministers and the PM.

I did - the P.M. and cabinet ministers are all M.P.s

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Hey, dummy, that comment was to paradox since he only included the base salary's of the MP's.

W.T.F. can't you address a poster in a civil manner w/o acting like a total f**king A$$hole? Do you REALLY think it adds to your credibility or strength to your argument. ANYONE can be an A$$HOLE- me included!

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Hey, dummy, that comment was to paradox since he only included the base salary's of the MP's.

Well, if we were to include the additional salaries, too, then it would be $5,955,330 (but that does not include costs for employer contributions). I did not include the additional salaries for the Speaker, Deputy Speaker, chairs, vice-chairs, etc., as I see those as "officers" and not as political actors. However, if you want those included as well, then it would come out to about $6,040,640.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
W.T.F. can't you address a poster in a civil manner w/o acting like a total f**king A$$hole? Do you REALLY think it adds to your credibility or strength to your argument. ANYONE can be an A$$HOLE- me included!

No, you can't.

Now, why can't you pay attention and understand what is written, to whom it was written, and the reason it was written?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
No, you can't.

Now, why can't you pay attention and understand what is written, to whom it was written, and the reason it was written?

Old age!, distracted by wife, distracted by grand daughter, distracted by dog, the door bell rang, the phone rang.................who the f**k knows?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Well, if we were to include the additional salaries, too, then it would be $5,955,330 (but that does not include costs for employer contributions). I did not include the additional salaries for the Speaker, Deputy Speaker, chairs, vice-chairs, etc., as I see those as "officers" and not as political actors. However, if you want those included as well, then it would come out to about $6,040,640.

Which is what I wrote. 6 mill. Which is a very small drop in the bucket when we are talking about a budget approaching 300 billion per year.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Which is what I wrote. 6 mill. Which is a very small drop in the bucket when we are talking about a budget approaching 300 billion per year.

When I was a kid there was an old saying................."Look after the pennies and the dollars will look after themselves" :)