Nova Scotia is now running on Green Energy

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Nova Scotia Power says move to green exceeds provincial targets

Nova Scotia Power says it has exceeded the provincial target of generating 25 per cent of electricity from renewable energy sources in 2015.

The province now generates 26.6 per cent of its electricity from sources such as wind, hydro, tidal and biomass.

The most rapid growth has come from wind farms, which jumped from supplying one per cent to 10 per cent of the province's electricity since the previous NDP government legislated targets eight years ago.

"I'm proud to say that in 2015, Nova Scotia Power achieved a new record for renewable energy," said Mark Sidebottom, Nova Scotia Power's vice-president responsible for power generation.

"By 2020 we will have a greater percentage coming from renewables than Germany, a recognized world leader in renewable energy."

Nova Scotia Power says move to green exceeds provincial targets - Nova Scotia - CBC News

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Wow. 25% eh? That'll bring our dirty ugly economy that is a massive threat to CO2 emissions well over the current 60% renewables nationwide.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
They did not build the infrastructure with diesel power, right? They do not power the factories that makes wind generator parts with any fossil fuels? Oops that is China, does not count.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
The Alberta model allows consumers to elect to use 100% wind generated power. They can also elect not to.

Nova Scotia power rates are the highest in the country. They should adopt the same model as Alberta so that their financially challenged citizens don't get screwed over worse than they already are.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
When Nova Scotians talk about 'cold and in the dark', you'll find them pointing their fingers at Nova Scotia Power and pipeline blocking provinces like Quebec. Their problems are locally inflicted.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
So much hate over a successful economic story.

Gee, I wonder why. :lol:

Hate? F-ck NO. Laughter all directed at you is the reality.

The Alberta model allows consumers to elect to use 100% wind generated power. They can also elect not to.

Nova Scotia power rates are the highest in the country. They should adopt the same model as Alberta so that their financially challenged citizens don't get screwed over worse than they already are.

You can't choose the source, you choose the rate you pay.vwhat happens if more people buy wind kwhs than is available? They still pay the higher rate for coal or gas generation.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
You can't choose the source, you choose the rate you pay.

You may be correct, it has been 6 years since I've seen any paperwork on this.

Can anyone post a link or upload a partial bill that discusses this choice? I'd be interested to see the current wording.