LGBTories encouraging Conservatives to change same-sex marriage stance

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
LGBT Tories organizing to change party's policy on same-sex marriage

Bye bye curmudgeons!

LGBT Tories organizing to change party's policy on same-sex marriage

A group of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered Tories says now is the time to drop language opposing same-sex marriage from Conservative party policy.The party’s need to rebuild after the fall election provides an opportunity to get rid of a policy that’s offensive and hurts the party’s chances for growth, a group called LGBTories says and they are asking interim party leader Rona Ambrose for help.

“This policy is a significant obstacle to the acceptance of the Conservative message by voters who would otherwise be attracted to the party’s stance on economic, security, and foreign policy issues,” they wrote in a letter to her made public this week.

The group started about a year ago ahead of Toronto Pride, an event that saw – for the first time – some Conservatives show up for the parade, including current Ontario PC leader and former Tory MP Patrick Brown and Tory MP Kellie Leitch.

Leitch is among those considering a bid for the federal party leadership, a race likely to kick off in earnest at this spring’s Conservative policy convention.

That’s partially why LGBTories aim to send a delegation to that convention to get the policy off the books, group member Ed Lorenzen said in an interview.

“We’re in a leadership contest where candidates are going to be jockeying for the leadership, so we have a window of opportunity here to influence the debate,” he said.

The party’s policy declaration, last reviewed in 2013, says that a free vote in Parliament, not the courts, should determine the definition of marriage and that the party supports legislation defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman.

It’s been nearly a decade since Parliament last tackled the issue. In 2006, the Conservative minority government introduced a motion asking for a law to restore the traditional definition of marriage without affecting civil unions and while respecting existing same-sex marriages.

The motion failed. In the years since, including the four years of Conservative majority government, no law was ever brought forward.

LGBT Tories organizing to change party's policy on same-sex marriage - The Globe and Mail

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Re: LGBT Tories organizing to change party's policy on same-sex marriage

What a pile of shjt.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

Guess who doesn't care about YOU anymore.

Can't wait to see how they change their stance on abortion.

That should be a pu$$y riot.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

I fiddled with your wife's.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

And an axe.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The Honourable Rona Ambrose P.C., M.P., the Leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition, is being encouraged by a faction of her party to abandon the Conservative Party's position opposing same-sex marriage. The group, which calls itself the "LGBTories," is going to be sending a delegation to the next Conservative Party convention to ask rank-and-file party members to vote to repeal the current Conservative Party policy position on marriage.

While Conservative Party policy states that Tories may vote their conscience on questions of same-sex marriage, the official position of the party continues to be that marriage should be defined as a union between a man and a woman. LGBTories, and a number of progressive party members, are encouraging the party to abandon its socially-conservative marriage position so as to stop scaring away voters who might otherwise support the fiscal, economic, and security policies of the party.

Source: LGBT Tories organizing to change Conservative policy on same-sex marriage (The Globe and Mail)

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I heard on the radio the other day, a women being interviewed because her 6 year old son believes he's a girl and should be allowed to use the girls washroom.

I couldn't believe my ears? How does a 6 year old know he wants to be a girl? What is going on that I'm missing? If he was 15 I might consider there's something we need to address but a 6 year old? R U Kidding me?

It's getting to the point where almost anything goes. When I was a kid, there were girls who were tomboys (apparently not today - they actually want to be guys) - I happened to be one of them but I am very much female. There were guys who didn't like playing football or baseball or whatever and didn't mind having friends who were girls. They might have even played with dolls when they were youngsters as well but today are very much males.

I am not saying there aren't those who might be another Bruce Jenner; it just question the age and the decisions that are being made that affect so many simply to accommodate this child. Once he gets older (in his teens) and he still wants to be a girl, then by all means do whatever - but at SIX??

Blows my mind.

JMHO

I heard on the radio the other day, a women being interviewed because her 6 year old son believes he's a girl and should be allowed to use the girls washroom.

I couldn't believe my ears? How does a 6 year old know he wants to be a girl? What is going on that I'm missing? If he was 15 I might consider there's something we need to address but a 6 year old? R U Kidding me?

It's getting to the point where almost anything goes. When I was a kid, there were girls who were tomboys (apparently not today - they actually want to be guys) - I happened to be one of them but I am very much female. There were guys who didn't like playing football or baseball or whatever and didn't mind having friends who were girls. They might have even played with dolls when they were youngsters as well but today are very much males.

I am not saying there aren't those who might be another Bruce Jenner; it just question the age and the decisions that are being made that affect so many simply to accommodate this child. Once he gets older (in his teens) and he still wants to be a girl, then by all means do whatever - but at SIX??

Blows my mind.

JMHO
Guess it's do "whatever" makes you feel good and the PC crowd will pander to your whims. Hmmm, reminds me a bit of the 60's LOL

oops hit the wrong button - sorry!

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Guess it's do "whatever" makes you feel good and the PC crowd will pander to your whims. Hmmm, reminds me a bit of the 60's LOL

oops hit the wrong button - sorry!
I agree. Whatever happened to the good old days when people who didn't fit the expected gender stereotypes were discriminated against, bullied, beaten, criminalized, and murdered?

Miss those days, Walter?

Last edited:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Dixie, are you aware that the topic of the thread is same-sex marriage and not transgender issues?

I know a fair number of gay and lesbian individuals who cannot quite wrap their heads around transgender issues either. (Although some do and are very empathetic with such issues, I'm sure.) I'm not defending that or stating one point of view is right or wrong, I'm just pointing out that they are different issues.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I'm not moved by tiny truncations and I want no truck with the Tolerance Cults. They must be protected under law as is every individual but they must have no special perks beyond that. I have blue eyes, should I have special status under law?

Why? Are blue eyed people not allowed to be married? Because I think they should have the ability to marry people with any eye colour they choose. In fact, not allowing them to marry just because they have blue eyes is discriminatory. Now, I'm not personally a fan of blue eyes so I can choose not to marry someone with blue eyes but I'll be damned if I will dictate my personal taste upon the rest of society.

Particularly when the confines of anyone's taste or proclivity or orientation (however the hell you choose to define it) in no way whatsoever affects anyone other than yourself. You dig? Whether you tolerate it or not does not matter and should not matter to the extent that it affects the choices that other people get to make.

And if you can't see that, then you are blind and I only hope the next generations weed out your particular blindness.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I'm not moved by tiny truncations and I want no truck with the Tolerance Cults. They must be protected under law as is every individual but they must have no special perks beyond that. I have blue eyes, should I have special status under law?
Yes, but not because you have blue eyes.