Sask. Premier welcomes stimulus money into the province

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Bububu Sasquatchewan is supposed to be the shining beacon of economic prosperity.

Sask. Premier welcomes stimulus money into the province

Saskatchewan's premier is welcoming news that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau could decide to focus initial stimulus efforts between Saskatchewan and Alberta.

Brad Wall said he was hopeful to see a report by Bloomberg News, which said the federal government is in talks to allocate $1 billion for infrastructure projects in the two oil-producing provinces.

"This is very hopeful," Wall said. "If it's true that the federal government is indeed looking at some specific ways to help the West, with respect to the economic challenges that are being faced in the energy sector, it is very positive."

Wall said the slump in oil prices will be a "deeper challenge in the energy sector and a longer lasting one than people were expecting." He added that during a conversation with Trudeau on Monday, they spoke about how Saskatchewan will be contributing roughly half-a-billion dollars to equalization this year, but will not receive money back.

"One way the federal government could recognize the fact that Alberta and Saskatchewan taxpayers are funding equalization this year without money coming back, is perhaps to provide a little more assistance in infrastructure than we would otherwise be … eligible for on a population basis," Wall said.

Sask. Premier welcomes stimulus money into the province - Canada - CBC News

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I love it when conbots endorse handouts.

It adds the zesty iron filings to their soup of stupidity that makes it so delicious.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I love it when intelligent conservative thinking individuals endorse handouts.

It adds the zesty iron filings to their soup of intelligence that makes it so delicious.

Who endorsed anything? If our PM is stupid enough to give out money left right and centre, the people receiving it would be pretty stupid to say no. There are always bridges that need repaired and roads which could be improved and if somebody else is paying for it.

Of course, one shouldn't be surprised at the size of the deficit this coming year.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Well, I think that it's pretty clear to the Feds that the days of cleaning-out the accounts of a have-province and doing the Robin Hood thingy doesn't have a future.

I don't mind transfer payments if they go where intended instead of shoring up failing sh-t like whirly gigs.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I know, did you read the article or blindly post again? How about the comments? Did you get my thank you for you posting the article about Regina nailing climate change goals?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I don't mind transfer payments if they go where intended instead of shoring up failing sh-t like whirly gigs.

The running joke on this ongoing Fed subsidy is that while the intent is to provide equal services among the provinces, the result is that it has developed into a mechanism that creates even greater 'unequalness' among the provinces.

... Basically money for the provincial politicians to buy votes

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
So you don't miss it this time I'm going to PM it too. Mmmkay?
This year, FCM recognized Regina for successfully completing its climate program milestones. It produced a final report on its progress, posted to the city’s website without fanfare — something interim city manager Ed Archer chalked up to the municipality being more focused on its actions than publicity.