Sen. Patrick Brazeau critical after surgery: Hospital

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Sen. Patrick Brazeau critical after surgery: Hospital
By Corey Larocque, Ottawa Sun
First posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2016 08:26 AM EST | Updated: Tuesday, January 19, 2016 06:27 PM EST
Sen. Patrick Brazeau underwent emergency surgery early Tuesday morning after police found him seriously injured at his Outouais home, the Hull hospital confirmed.

The undisclosed surgery was successful and the 41-year-old senator is in critical, but stable condition, a statement released by hospital spokeswoman Genevieve Cote Tuesday.

Brazeau was admitted to the hospital at around 1 a.m. and underwent a successful operation, the hospital said. The hospital didn’t specify what kind of surgery he had.

Quebec provincial police and paramedics were called to Brazeau’s home just after 10 p.m. Monday to Brazeau’s home. He was seriously injured when they found him and he was taken to hospital for treatment.

Police aren’t saying exactly what happened, but did say that the incident was not criminal or that any criminal activity was involved.

Brazeau’s lawyer tried to see his client Tuesday morning after learning he had been hospitalized but wasn’t able to make contact.

“I went to the hospital and I could not get to him,” said Christian Deslauriers, an Ottawa lawyer who is representing Brazeau on charges he defrauded the Senate over living expenses he filed.

Brazeau went public last summer about a suicide attempt, saying it was caused by the decisions then-prime minister Stephen Harper made to have the Senate suspend him over the fraud charges and other legal problems.

Brazeau reported the suicide attempt on his Twitter account in August 2015, though he never specified when the incident took place.

Deslauriers said he could not offer any information about what led to Brazeau’s hospitalization Monday night or whether it was another attempt to end his life.

“That’s what I hear in the media. But I cannot confirm. I cannot reach anyone from the family right now, so it’s difficult,” he said.

Deslauriers said he had been scheduled to meet with Brazeau today to prepare for the upcoming fraud trial.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen now.”

The hospital asked for privacy for Brazeau’s family, which didn’t offer any public comment on the incident.

Twitter: @Corey_Larocque
Sen. Patrick Brazeau critical after surgery: Hospital | Canada | News | Toronto

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Knowing something of his marital history, he probably turned up in hospital with a kitchen knife sticking out of his forehead.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Knowing something of his marital history, he probably turned up in hospital with a kitchen knife sticking out of his forehead.

I kind of got to wondering about that guy myself.........................not a criminal case, apparently.....................so what's left besides a suicide attempt or crass stupidity?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
So, basically your position is that it is Brazeau's own fault regardless of what happened.

Nice.

Since they seem to be close mouthed about it, I just threw it out there as a possibility. Perhaps you missed my other suggestion it was a suicide attempt. Too early to jump to conclusions. :)

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Brazeau's lawyer may seek fraud trial delay in wake of surgery
Tom Spears, Postmedia Network
First posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2016 02:27 PM EST | Updated: Wednesday, January 20, 2016 03:15 PM EST
OTTAWA - The lawyer defending Sen. Patrick Brazeau on fraud charges related to Senate expenses says those proceedings may need to be postponed while Brazeau recovers from surgery.

But so far Christian Deslauriers hasn’t been able to contact his client since Brazeau was rushed to hospital Monday night.

Brazeau suffered serious injuries in an incident at his rural home northeast of Buckingham Monday evening, The Sûreté du Québec said the incident was not considered criminal but gave no other details.

Brazeau underwent successful surgery early Tuesday morning and has been recovering since then in the Hull Hospital, but a spokeswoman there said Wednesday the hospital won’t give further updates on his condition.

Deslauriers said Wednesday he has tried to contact his client, but hasn’t been able to because of Brazeau’s condition.

He says he won’t know how long his client needs to recover before the trial can begin. The trial is currently scheduled to begin in March.

Even if the senator recovers physically, he said, he also needs to be ready mentally for the trial.

tspears@ottawacitizen.com

twitter.com/TomSpears1
Brazeau's lawyer may seek fraud trial delay in wake of surgery | Ontario | News