Environmentalists don't see Regina pushing on climate change front

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Environmentalists don't see Regina pushing on climate change front

On the heels of the Paris Climate Change Conference, governments at all levels are looking inward, parsing what role they have to play.

The City of Regina is no exception: The municipality has been in this game a while and considers itself a leader in this area.

But local environmental experts see a lag in municipal efforts at a time when the issue — and the globe — are heating up.

A strong start

Regina’s climate change commitment dates back two decades, when it became the third Canadian city to sign on to a climate protection program with the Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM).

In 1994, city council set a target to reduce community greenhouse gas emissions six per cent below 1990 levels by 2012. It also eyed reducing corporate emissions 20 per cent below 1990 levels by 2005, then an additional one per cent per year until 2012. (That target was eventually revised to 15 per cent below 1990 levels by 2012.)

Ten years later, the city produced a Community Greenhouse Gas Emission Reduction Action Plan with specific recommendations.

Joseph Piwowar, Canada Research Chair in geomatics and sustainability at the University of Regina, remembers the “strong initiative” by the city. He found the plan “ambitious.”

But, he said, “I think that’s tapered off in the past few years.”

Then a lag?

This year, FCM recognized Regina for successfully completing its climate program milestones. It produced a final report on its progress, posted to the city’s website without fanfare — something interim city manager Ed Archer chalked up to the municipality being more focused on its actions than publicity.

..more...

Environmentalists don’t see Regina pushing on climate change front | Regina Leader-Post

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Trying to get my attention poopsiefloss?

I bet you never read this part or wouldn't have dared post:

This year, FCM recognized Regina for successfully completing its climate program milestones. It produced a final report on its progress, posted to the city’s website without fanfare — something interim city manager Ed Archer chalked up to the municipality being more focused on its actions than publicity.

I love it when you post based on headline alone.

When is Mississauga going to nail all it's goals like Regina did?

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Do people really believe that greenhouse gas emissions can be lowered substantially to make a difference?
It looks as if their big plans are intended to (1) put people at ease and (2) to justify rising costs and create new industries.

Trying to lower greenhouse gas emissions while still maintaining our lifestyles seems futile to me. There are some simple things that could be done that would be effective to a degree, such as enforcing a lower speed limit, banning the manufacture of large, fast vehicles, stop building highways that encourage more traffic and speeding. Can't do any of that though, the people wouldn't like it and it would hurt the economy.
They could stop the construction of monster houses that use enormous amounts of energy. They could make solar energy less costly to encourage more people to use it. They could start talking about the prospect of lowering the birth rates and make people aware of how the overpopulation of the planet creates too large a demand on products that pollute.
I just don't believe that the methods they are now talking about will be carried out with any signifigant improvement to the environment.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Evil Corp and the Bank of Evil the same people allegedly responsible for global warming.

People are already giving them money, hand over fist! Shopping until they drop, buying every available geegaw they can't do without, buying on credit; that's what makes the evil corp.s and the evil banks rich.
The people themselves are responsible for global warming.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Why don't you mule headed know it alls face the truth. We have global warming and soon enough you're gonna be frigged . Stop running down folks who are just trying to warn you of your impending demise and grab some coin from your bank accounts you tightwad , squeeze a nickel till the buffalo shyts , skinflints,, and support the good folks. DAMN I get tired of you not trying to help.

Not only that, The reason there is global warming is because you're all a pack of gluttons. You consistently and constantly pile drive rosa rita refried beans down your neck causing human flatulence that is rising up to the upper outerzone making the poor ole birdies puke, and then when you're not inhaling tostadas, you're having a T-bone all the damn time forcing the world to raise billions of cows to satisfy your insatiable appetites. You're all a bunch of Jabba the huts as far as I'm concerned. Between the cows, pigs and all them damn chickens you're fixin to cook up and inhale, a fart the size of a hundred galaxies is welling up and you best just hope no body lights a match. Ye'all sicken me.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
There is a filtering process to ensure funds are used for catastrophic management.