Canadian soldier apologizes to 9-year-old girl after mocking her name

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Soldier apologizes to 9-year-old girl named Isis

A 9-year-old girl from Winnipeg is feeling a lot better after she says a soldier mocked her name.

The girl's name is Isis. The name has nothing to do with terrorism.

Isis Fernandes was on school trip Thursday taking part in a Grey Cup event for kids at the University of Winnipeg's RecPlex.

Students received a certificate for completing an obstacle course. Isis said when she told the solider her name, he didn’t believe her.

"He said, ‘I'm not writing your name. I don't think this is your real name. This is not funny’,” she said. “He got all mad and stuff.”

The Canadian Armed Forces member was removed from signing future certificates.

Friday, the soldier made an apology to Isis at her home in person.

"I'm happy they came and apologized in person," said Isis.

"Coming from a military family, my grandfather was in the Armed Forces, and it showed respect, and I appreciated it,” said Amanda Fernandes, Isis' mother.

Isis and her mother said it's not the first time she has been teased because of her name, which means Egyptian Goddess, but this time the behaviour crossed the line.

“To have her come home in tears is very sad,” said Amanda. “I can't believe grown men are picking on a 9-year-old child. This has got to stop.”

A military spokesperson told CTV the solider would not make the apology in front of a camera, saying Isis was not the only child asked how to spell her name, and the soldier didn't intend to upset her.

Soldier apologizes to 9-year-old girl named Isis | CTV Winnipeg News

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Yes because CTV is well known for its leftist leanings.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Nutella rejects personalised jar for five-year-old girl named Isis

Ms Taylor, 43, named her five-year-old daughter after the Egyptian goddess Isis, revered as a matriarch and friend of the disadvantaged. Her son Odhinn, 8, was named after a god in Nordic mythology.

Ms Taylor said she would not be in favour of putting the name "Hitler" on a jar of Nutella, but her case was different because she named her daughter before the rise of Islamic State, she said. She also has no intention of changing her daughter's name, and argues the name Isis needed to be reclaimed.

"This is an acronym that is used incorrectly by the media that Nutella are supporting," Ms Taylor said. "We need to be calling the Daesh death cult by their name, Daesh."

Unforeseeable though it may have been, the Taylor family are now dealing with the consequences of the unfortunate name choice. Ms Taylor has to shield her daughter from news reports, and regularly receives looks of disbelief in public places.

"I am starting to get to the point where I don't want to call her name out," she said. "Because she's going to start noticing people looking."

Ms Taylor also feels particularly aggrieved by a Woman's Day article published earlier this month, which ranked "Isis" as No.1 on a list of 12 baby names that should be criminalised.

"Everyone knows that Isis' mythology has been trumped by the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS), the group known for, among other things, beheading two journalists and a camera worker," the article suggested. "So, maybe don't go with Isis."

Oddly enough, "Nutella" was No.2 on the Woman's Day list of names that should be made illegal.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/consumer-affairs/nutella-rejects-personalised-jar-for-fiveyearold-girl-named-isis-20151127-gl9jx2.html

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Being named after an Egyptian goddess is nothing to be ashamed of. Unfortunately, culturally illiterate idiots and talk shoe hosts (who often tend to be the same thing) will mock anything.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
CTV is one of Justine's biggest cheerleaders.

Craig Oliver has been harsh on Justin for opening his amateur yap and failing on the refugee debacle guaranteeing the 10,000 that Harper had already put into the system and again for opening his amateur yap in regards to Paris and only retabling Harpers emission cut targets.

Did you lefties just vote in a feminine version of Harper?

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
I think the solider who refused to write the young girl's name should be recognized for having PST,therefore we should have pity on he/she?how horrible.
i wondering if ISIS is a popular name in EGYPT/was it rated high?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I know. Imagine being named after a terrorist organisation. She's got years of playground taunting ahead of her.

Are you really this dense or just playing dumb?

The girl's name obviously has nothing to do with the terrorist scum, but the Egyptian goddess whose name is Isis. She was named a lot earlier than ISIS was a gleam in the eye of terrorist scum.