Debt delinquencies rise in Alberta, bucking national trend

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
TransUnion says ripple effect of oil price slump seeing more consumers struggling to make payments

Debt delinquencies rise in Alberta, bucking national trend

Credit and loan delinquencies are starting to pile up in Alberta as consumers cope with the ripple effects of the collapse in the price of oil, a new report says.

The credit agency TransUnion released figures Wednesday showing that Alberta surpassed the Canadian average in delinquencies in the third quarter of this year.

"That's the manifestation of the oil slump that trickled into consumers' disposable income," said Jason Wang, TransUnion's director of research and industry analysis.

Alberta's third quarter delinquency rate was 2.63 per cent — up more than three per cent compared to the same period last year.

"It doesn't look like there's a big difference, but you have to understand that historically Alberta has been better. Now Alberta has caught up and actually has exceeded the national average," Wang said.

The national picture is much brighter, Wang said.

"On a quarter-over-quarter basis, this is the only province that had a big increase," he said.

"Compare that with … the national level, consumers are getting better and better."

Nationally, the latest figures suggest Canadians are managing their debt quite well.

TransUnion says the average consumer debt-load among Canadians — excluding mortgages — is $21,247.

Debt delinquencies rise in Alberta, bucking national trend - Calgary - CBC News

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
That's why I'm so busy at work!! Truly fortunate to work in recession-proof industry and scary at the same time! My heart goes out to these people but seriously, we REALLY need to get budgeting and financing into our schools. Credit cards are far too easy to get and even students can get them with little or no income coming in. The lack of education, and in a lot of cases common sense, in this area is absolutely mind-blowing.

JMHO

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
So you're saying that Alberta is the least educated part of the country then?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Talking to several people involved in car sales/loans, and it's amazing how many people in Alberta, and elsewhere, keep rolling over debt: people owe $60,000 on a truck worth $35,000. It's not uncommon at all.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Talking to several people involved in car sales/loans, and it's amazing how many people in Alberta, and elsewhere, keep rolling over debt: people owe $60,000 on a truck worth $35,000. It's not uncommon at all.
Well, y'know, certain "communities" don't have a lot of financial responsibility. They just expect handouts.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I wonder if this debt thing has anything to do with a global economy in terminal decline? Could there be a conexionion? What we need is a firm stimulating global war to get everyone back to war I mean work. Competition is the primary driving component behind any successful business and weapons are the perfect tools to get the job done. Perhaps the employment outlook going forward is not as bad as it seems.
The uniforms will have to be made in China I suppose.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Ahhh yes. Another thread in which Flossy revels in the misery of people he doesn't like.

For shame.