Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
From Syria to YOUR neighborhood. Do you really think his ideology has changed, just because his clothing has?

From Syria to your neighborhood -- you really think his ideology has changed?

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
John McCallum Apologizes For Telling Michelle Rempel To Look 'More Cheerful'

A senior Liberal cabinet minister apologized Thursday for telling his Conservative critic to "look a little more cheerful" in question period.

However, Tory MP Michelle Rempel's demand for Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to also say sorry for allegedly laughing after the exchange was unfulfilled.

Rempel, her party's immigration critic, rose in the House of Commons Thursday to ask about the government's plan to resettle Syrian refugees. She said Immigration Minister John McCallum hasn't given any indication if other citizenship and immigration service lines will be impacted by the government's "arbitrary" year-end target.

"This is troubling to many Canadians who have pressing applications in other streams," she said. "So Mr. Speaker, have any visa officers been displaced from other duties including processing spousal sponsorship applications to meet the government's self-imposed timeline for the Syrian refugee initiative. And if so, how many?"

McCallum, who moments earlier said welcoming the first plane of 160 new Canadians made this a "wonderful day," responded with a joke.

"We're into sunny ways. I would suggest my colleague look a little more cheerful," he said.

The remark sparked jeers from the Tory benches.

John McCallum Apologizes For Telling Michelle Rempel To Look 'More Cheerful'

rugatika

Dec 12, 2015
Ha, had that McCallum comment originated from the Conservatives towards a Liberal or NDP female member, this would be the lead story for CBC for weeks with McCallum being labelled a serial misogynist. Didn't he get in trouble for some other sexist comments on a jet several years ago?

Re: the OP and Syrians entering Canada. Anyone that wants to come here and become a Canadian I welcome with open arms. If you're just coming here to carry on with your original baggage and hatred, then you may as well stay where you are. We don't need people that are coming here full of hate.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
I have no problem with bringing in immigrants however I do worry about the number because I wonder how can they really investigate each and everyone in such a short period of time. Only time will tell if they did a good job!