Ontario government has no receipts for $2.5-million paid to teachers' unions

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
what a crooked fukkin' crooked.

The Ontario government did not see receipts for the expenses of three teachers’ unions before secretly paying them $2.5-million to cover their costs during contract talks.

Education Minister Liz Sandals said on Thursday there are no itemized accounts of exactly what the taxpayers’ $2.5-million financed.

“You’re asking me if I have receipts and invoices. No, I don’t,” Ms. Sandals told reporters when asked if there was any accounting for the expenses.

Ms. Sandals said she was satisfied $2.5-million was reasonable based on her own knowledge of bargaining expenses. The unions had to spend money for their officials to travel to meetings in Toronto, stay in hotels and eat pizza during negotiating sessions, she said.

“We know what hotel rooms cost, we know what meeting rooms cost, we know what the food costs, we know what 100 pizzas cost,” she said. “You don’t need to see every bill when you’re doing an estimate of costs. I don’t ask.”

The government handed $1-million each to the Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation and the Ontario English Catholic Teachers’ Association, plus $500,000 to the smaller Association des enseignantes et des enseignants franco-ontariens as part of labour deals reached in August. The province’s fourth teachers’ union, the Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario, said it has not received any payment and would not accept one.

The secret payments came to light this week, after The Globe and Mail obtained copies of the government’s confidential deals with OSSTF and OECTA.

The money, the agreements said, was meant to defray the cost to the unions of collective bargaining. The government said it agreed to the payments because a new bargaining system Ms. Sandals brought in last year made the talks longer and more complicated than before.

The deals do not contain any itemization to account for extra bargaining expenses.

Critics say it makes no sense for taxpayers to cover unions’ negotiating costs, given that members pay dues for such things.

OSSTF and OECTA have said the payments did not cover all their bargaining expenses. Neither union released the total amount of bargaining costs.

The government has also revealed that it paid teacher unions in contract talks in 2004, 2008 and 2012 to defray their expenses. But Ms. Sandals and her office refused to say how much or to which unions.

In Question Period on Thursday, Premier Kathleen Wynne refused to say how much the government paid when asked by Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown.

“Will the Premier answer two simple questions?” Mr. Brown said. “How much money did she pay the unions and their associations for their bargaining costs? Number two: Where did that money come from? A direct question. Please answer.”

Ms. Wynne instead took shots at the PC government of the 1990s.

Ontario government has no receipts for $2.5-million paid to teachers’ unions - The Globe and Mail

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Ms. Wynne instead took shots at the PC government of the 1990s.
Of course she did. That's all the stupid bitch does. Blame the Conservatives for everything. She takes absolutely zero responsibility for her actions or the actions of her party and yet thinks she holds a position of moral superiority.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
you used to be cute and naive. now you're just retarded. :lol:

anyway...don't ask, don't tell.

John Groves ‏@jfgroves

John Groves Retweeted John Groves
As we learn more about how the Ontario Liberals bribed teachers' unions again, let me re-up this from 2 months ago.

John Groves ‏@jfgroves

Ontario teachers pledge to campaign vs Harper and 2 days later Wynne gives them a raise. Nothing suspicious here.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
When I built my house, I applied for the GST rebate, the government didn't ask to see my receipts either.

When I filed my income tax, the government didn't ask me to submit all my slips.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
When I built my house, I applied for the GST rebate, the government didn't ask to see my receipts either.

When I filed my income tax, the government didn't ask me to submit all my slips.

What made your house different from the hundred thousand others built that year that put it exceptionally above or below average building costs to warrant an audit?

Are you a union seeking repayment on expenses or just an average guy who built an average house?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

You were asked to keep them and they can ask for them within 7 years I believe. For 2.5 million, I would want to see some unless it was 'for expenses *nudge* *nudge* *wink* *wink*'.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I don't live in Ontario so it doesn't hit my wallet but still, sounds like vote buying. Regardless I don't think the citizens should be paying the union's bills.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
You were asked to keep them and they can ask for them within 7 years I believe. For 2.5 million, I would want to see some unless it was 'for expenses *nudge* *nudge* *wink* *wink*'.
I was audited only once in my life a couple of years ago, because that one year, I had unusually high medical expenses....
I sent the medical receipts in, and three weeks later I got them all back in the mail with a note that said that my tax form was accepted as filled out.
A lot of people e-file these days...

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I was audited only once in my life a couple of years ago, because that one year, I had unusually high medical expenses....
I sent the medical receipts in, and three weeks later I got them all back in the mail with a note that said that my tax form was accepted as filled out.
A lot of people e-file these days...

Sounds familiar- I've been e-filing income tax for about 6 years now. A couple of years ago there was something wonky with either me or the program, so I would up printing off the highlights and mailing them in by snail mail. Well, it turned out that I wasn't getting the refund I expected, so I phoned the A$$holes. They were disallowing my charitable donations (all of $100 or so) Anyway I had the receipts and mailed them in and all was well. I would have thought that the charitable organizations would have sent them a copy. So very important to hang on to all receipts, no matter how trivial seeming.