Federal Election 2015: Who will replace Conservative leader Stephen Harper?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Federal Election 2015: Who will replace Conservative leader Stephen Harper?

Well I'm hoping for Jason Kenny.

Stephen Harper will step down as Conservative leader following Monday’s federal election defeat.

John Walsh, president of the Conservative Party of Canada, said in a statement late Monday evening that he had spoken with Harper and confirmed that he was stepping down as leader.

“I have spoken to Prime Minister Stephen Harper and he has instructed me to reach out to the newly elected parliamentary caucus to appoint an Interim Leader and to the National Council to implement the leadership selection process pursuant to the Conservative Party of Canada constitution,” Walsh said.

Harper, who was seeking a fourth consecutive term as prime minister since 2006, comfortably won his Calgary Heritage riding on Monday night and will continue to serve as MP in the immediate future.

But as Harper’s decade in power comes to a close, many are wondering who will be the new face of the Conservative party.

READ MORE: Should they stay or should they go? Canadians weigh in on party leaders’ futures

An Election Day survey conducted exclusively for Global News found that among Conservative support 17 per cent said they favour Jason Kenney as the next Conservative leader. However, 40 per cent of respondents said they preferred someone else other than the candidates listed. Premier of Saskatchewan Brad Wall received nine per cent support, while Tony Clement and former Liberal Quebec premier received eight per cent.

Joe Oliver, who lost his seat his seat to Liberal candidate Marco Mendicino in Toronto’s Eglinton-Lawrence riding, received six per cent support.

source: Federal Election 2015: Who will replace Conservative leader Stephen Harper? | Globalnews.ca

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Lisa Raitt or Jason Kennedy would be my choices. But there's a chance one of the deserters might come back and pick up the reins. Peter McKay would be nice!

grumpydigger

Electoral Member
Mar 4, 2009
Kelowna BC
They will put their sacrificial Kim Campbell type leader into place in order to take the heat off the party and allow them to regroup.

Around a year and a half from now, Peter MacKay will start strutting around and eventually become their leader.

By that time the taste and the smell of King Harper will pretty much disappeared and allow them a fresh start

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
They have bigger things to worry about as a new leader doesn't matter for a few years. What matters is if Harper is going to be made permanent Ambassador to the Ukraine.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
They will put their sacrificial Kim Campbell type leader into place in order to take the heat off the party and allow them to regroup.

Around a year and a half from now, Peter MacKay will start strutting around and eventually become their leader.

By that time the taste and the smell of King Harper will pretty much disappeared and allow them a fresh start

Usually they will put an interm leader in until they have a convention. I don't think there will be a need to rush. Its not a minority. Next election is in 4 years. Year 2 would be about right.

Not a Kim Campbell type rather a Bob Rae type.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
They should make it so the loser can't resign for two years after he blew it. A time of reflection so the same never happens to the party again (as the PM is only one spoke in the wheel)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
They should make it so the loser can't resign for two years after he blew it. A time of reflection so the same never happens to the party again (as the PM is only one spoke in the wheel)

People are free to do what they choose. That is what makes this country free.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

Well he was the last leader of the old PCs. He didnt catch on back then and I doubt he will this time around.

I suggest one of the Ford brothers for entertainment value.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
The one that's not on your list who, occurs to me, would be a really good candidate is Lisa Raitt.

She doesn't come with nearly as much baggage as someone like Jason Kenney.

Last edited: