Share at least two prefered public media funding reform ideas here.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
For me,

First choice:

Cut public media funding altogether: its present content is too similar to that provided by the available private media, making it too redundant.

Second choice:

If the government refuses to cut public media funding altogether, then convert it to media vouchers that Canadian residents could use to subscribe to participating public media of their choice in any language (including sign languages and indigenous languages) and in any form (including Braille) so as to reduce redundancy in the coverage between public and private media.

Third choice:

Should the Government refuse to eliminate funding and also refuse to let us choose how to spend it, then limit it to essential services (e.g. weather reports and emergency broadcasts in remote areas).

Fourth choice:

Should the Government refuse to eliminate funding, let us decide how to spend it, or at least limit it to essential services, then direct all funding above and beyond that required to provide essential services towards sign-language, indigenous-language and other media in languages not generally covered by the private sector so as to reduce private-public redundancy in broadcasting.

Fifth choice:

Maintain the present status quo: I'm out of any other general reform ideas beyond this.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
1. CBC gets no gubmint funding.
2. Cut all gubmint funds to the CBC.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
So if the gubmint refused option 1 but went with option 2, how would you propose it spend that money? Give it all to Rebel media?
Return it to me and all other tax-payers. You lefties always want to spend my money, spend yer own and leave me to spend mine.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Return it to me and all other tax-payers. You lefties always want to spend my money, spend yer own and leave me to spend mine.

Correct me if I misunderstand, but it appears that your options 1 and 2 are more or less the same as mine in the OP (i.e. either cut it altogether or at least let us choose the media to subscribe to). Do I have that right?

I'll take Walter's greenie as an affirmative. I'd actually gotten the idea of media vouchers from the book Lament for a Notion written by Scott Reid (Federal incumbent for Lanark-Frontenac-Lennox). Though I don't agree with everything in it, I still think it's a book worth reading.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
1- It is not within the constitutional mandate of govt to fund any media of any kind therefore my reform would be follow the constitution and not fund anything saving us $1,000,000,000/year

2- See reform #1

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
1- It is not within the constitutional mandate of govt to fund any media of any kind therefore my reform would be follow the constitution and not fund anything saving us $1,000,000,000/year

2- See reform #1

Can you quote the specific Constitutional article that states this?

Thanks.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Can you quote the specific Constitutional article that states this?

Thanks.

Maybe you should show me the clause that says the govt will fund a media corporation. Maybe you haven't learned it yet but the govt is actually restricted by what the constitution says it can do, not what it cannot do. In simple terms if it isn't specifically allowed by a constitutional clause then it is beyond the scope and purview of their mandate. Once you and most other Canadians come to understand this fact the govt will stop running over our freedoms and robbing us blind.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Maybe you should show me the clause that says the govt will fund a media corporation. Maybe you haven't learned it yet but the govt is actually restricted by what the constitution says it can do, not what it cannot do. In simple terms if it isn't specifically allowed by a constitutional clause then it is beyond the scope and purview of their mandate. Once you and most other Canadians come to understand this fact the govt will stop running over our freedoms and robbing us blind.

So if I understand correctly, Harper could have eliminated the CBC by simply having the Supreme Court rule on the matter.

Harper is more incompetent than I thought then if he couldn't have thought of that.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Nick asked you to provide the clause in the Charter that deems that gvt will fund a media corporation.

No, the Government is not Constitutionally required to fund a media corporation.

My question is, where does the Constitution prohibit such; and if it does, why it hasn't been challenged yet?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
The answer to your first question is that there is no such prohibition and as such, there would be no 'challenge' required.

You will also note that the recent gvts of all stripes have all reigned-in the budgets of the CBC... That said, dumping everything on Harper solely because you don't like his Party is disingenuous

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
The answer to your first question is that there is no such prohibition and as such, there would be no 'challenge' required.

You will also note that the recent gvts of all stripes have all reigned-in the budgets of the CBC... That said, dumping everything on Harper solely because you don't like his Party is disingenuous

How was I dumping on Harper? I was just challenging the notion that the Government was Constitutionally prohibited from funding public media. If that were true, the CBC would never have come into existence.

As for dumping on Harper, you couldn't be more wrong: I applaud his cuts to the CBC. Just look at my preferred option in the OP. If anything, I just think he hasn't gone far enough in the matter and the next Government should cut some more.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Machjo - you. like so many others, misunderstand the constitutionality of any particular thing. The constitution does not say what a govt cannot do, it says what the govt can do. Anything not mentioned or covered by the constitution is therefore not part of the constitutional mandate. In a legal sense MOST of what govts do today is outside the constitutional mandate but because of many decades of misleading information, ignorance and apathy the general public as a whole believes the govt has basically unlimited power as long as what they are trying to do passes a vote in the legislature.