Harper could ban niqab from federal civil service

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
attaboy.

Ottawa Sun Verified account ‏@ottawasuncom

OUR P1: PM EYES BAN of niqab in federal civil service if elected http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/10/06/harper-could-ban-niqab-from-federal-civil-service … #elxn42 #ottnews

OTTAWA - Prime Minister Stephen Harper said Tuesday he'll think about banning the niqab and the burka from the federal civil service if he's re-elected.

In an interview on CBC News Channel broadcast Tuesday afternoon, Harper said "the vast, vast majority of Canadians understand our position on this and are behind it."

Harper gave a nod to the Liberal government of Philippe Couillard in Quebec which, earlier this year, introduced a bill that would require any provincial government services to be delivered and received with uncovered faces.

more

Harper could ban niqab from federal civil service | AKIN | Columnists | Opinion

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Now, for the first time, Harper has mused that the ban on the niqab should be extended beyond citizenship ceremonies and perhaps should include those who provide services on behalf of the federal government.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Do tell, how is that being against freedom?
Well, the concept is that the individual can do as he pleases, and the government can only restrict that if it demonstrates what the Yanks call "a compelling government interest" and craft the restriction to be as small as possible to achieve the compelling government interest.

I'm still waiting to hear how forcing Muslim women to uncover their faces rises to the level of a "compelling government interest."

Mind you, this is Yank talk. I know y'all don't believe in freedom the way we see it.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Of all the muslims in Canada only two have insisted on covering their faces during the swearing in ceremony.....
Tell me....... what makes those two attention whôres so special?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Well, the concept is that the individual can do as he pleases, and the government can only restrict that if it demonstrates what the Yanks call "a compelling government interest" and craft the restriction to be as small as possible to achieve the compelling government interest.

I'm still waiting to hear how forcing Muslim women to uncover their faces rises to the level of a "compelling government interest."

Mind you, this is Yank talk. I know y'all don't believe in freedom the way we see it.

But why couldn't they just wear a cross around their necks like good Christians do?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Of all the muslims in Canada only two have insisted on covering their faces during the swearing in ceremony.....
Tell me....... what makes those two attention whôres so special?

Looks like the social conservatives now want to strip rights away from attention *****s

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
You don't know what kneecab is.
You don't know what a face covering is.

Take a look at this individual:

If you were to see him, would you know who he was?

If he were to sit down next to you in church in slacks and a button shirt next Sunday, would you know it was the same man?

If you're going to ban identity-concealing garb for government employees (or even for the general public), then do so. But that would include balaclavas like this guy is wearing, big sunglasses, and the traditional wimple of Catholic nuns.

Or you can just admit you don't like Muslims, and want to use the law to prohibit their cultural garb, whilst leaving Old Stock Canadians to do as they please.

Last edited:

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Quit being so "silly"
If one of them robbed a bank would you be able to recognize her......or him
Can you even tell if it's a man or woman?

Oooh!! You are you are a real scaredy-cat arent you. You just love all kinds of government regulations to solve problems that don't really exist. You sound an awful lot like the leftards that want to ban guns because of what "might" happen. I've always said the right fringe and the left fringe are all about controlling people. Come talk to me when muslims actually start robbing banks wearing niqabs you silly goose

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
If you're going to ban identity-concealing garb for government employees (or even for the general public), then do so. But that would include balaclavas like this guy is wearing, big sunglasses, and the traditional wimple of Catholic nuns.

You are a Christianophobe
Which one would you recognize...

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Oooh!! You are you are a real scaredy-cat arent you. You just love all kinds of government regulations to solve problems that don't really exist. You sound an awful lot like the leftards that want to ban guns because of what "might" happen. I've always said the right fringe and the left fringe are all about controlling people. Come talk to me when muslims actually start robbing banks wearing niqabs you silly goose
Uhhh, it's been done already. You should really learn to pay attention. Mind you, it's not necessarily muslims doing it but people using the niqab or burka as a disguise. For example, nobody is going to make a burka wearer remove it when they walk into a bank!

Gunman dressed in burka and sunglasses robs cash courier | Daily Mail Online

Man dressed as Muslim woman robs bank - Telegraph

Maryland: Man wearing burqa robs bank

Burkas worn by robbers in $500K Toronto jewelry store heist - Toronto - CBC News

Man wearing hijab robs Ottawa bank - Macleans.ca

Yeah, no security issues here. :roll:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Uhhh, it's been done already. You should really learn to pay attention. Mind you, it's not necessarily muslims doing it but people using the niqab or burka as a disguise. For example, nobody is going to make a burka wearer remove it when they walk into a bank!

Gunman dressed in burka and sunglasses robs cash courier | Daily Mail Online

Man dressed as Muslim woman robs bank - Telegraph

Maryland: Man wearing burqa robs bank

Burkas worn by robbers in $500K Toronto jewelry store heist - Toronto - CBC News

Man wearing hijab robs Ottawa bank - Macleans.ca

Yeah, no security issues here. :roll:
How many you got for ski masks?