Change is in the air in Conservative Alberta and opposition parties stand to gain

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Change is in the air in Conservative Alberta and opposition parties stand to gain

Alberta, the Rock of Gibraltar of conservative Canada, has cracked — just how deeply and at what cost to the federal Conservatives is still unclear, but in this campaign every crack and cranny counts.

In 2011, Stephen Harper's Conservatives won all but one seat in Alberta. The NDP took one in Edmonton. Polls suggest at least eight ridings are in play this time.

There is political suspense in the province for the first time in a long time, and it is infectious.

"It's kind of sparking this chain reaction between all people, like all the young people are starting to realize that, yes, my vote can count and that if we get together our voices can be heard," says first-year science student Kevin Ma at the University of Alberta in Edmonton.

All across campus, students are buzzing about voting. The U of A is one of 10 universities across the country that will allow voting on campus.

Political professor Laurie Adkin points out that Alberta has been changing for some time now, and the politics may just be catching up.

"Alberta has had this kind of populist conservative orientation for many decades that is now changing because of the net in-migration of people," she says.

The province's population has jumped to four million from three million since 2000. It's a younger population, the youngest in Canada.

For change seekers, the weakening economy is an opportunity to re-examine the province's focus on the energy sector.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/politics/canada-election-2015-change-in-the-air-alberta-1.3250557

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The Alberta Conservatives have been anything but conservative. I'm not sure what the numbers look like now but I remember last year reading that the Alberta government spends more per capita on program spending than any other province. The switch to the Dippers was not as big a jump as some would believe. That said, I'd be shocked if the federal Dippers made many gains in seats this time around. From what I've heard from friends and family throughout the province, Dippers in Edmonton and Ottawa would be a little too scary

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Yea, I never quite understood that either.

Why is it that they didn't go Liberal instead?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Yea, I never quite understood that either.

Why is it that they didn't go Liberal instead?

The name near as I can figure and the fact that the Liberals seem to pit the west vs the east. Nothing Martin, Chrétien or Trudeau have ever said would lead Albertans to believe they gave a **** about us. As long as they had enough seats in Ontario and Kweebeck, we were seen as nothing more than a wallet

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
They're social conservatives.

I think this is the real problem we need to address after this election.

We can quibble about the economy ad nauseum but we really need to move forward on some key social and environmental issues.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
To name a few:

Democracy
Privacy
Equality
Transparency
Accountability
Science

Glacier

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2015
Okanagan
Why can't you guys just speak to the facts?

The facts are that the Conservatives are projected to win MORE seats in Alberta this time around. True, the NDP and Liberals will win a couple more as well (thanks to the additional seats being added), but the vast majority will go to the Cons. This is the worst CBC article I've seen yet.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

Alberta, the Rock of Gibraltar of conservative Canada, has cracked — just how deeply and at what cost to the federal Conservatives is still unclear, but in this campaign every crack and cranny counts.

In 2011, Stephen Harper's Conservatives won all but one seat in Alberta. The NDP took one in Edmonton. Polls suggest at least eight ridings are in play this time.

There is political suspense in the province for the first time in a long time, and it is infectious.

"It's kind of sparking this chain reaction between all people, like all the young people are starting to realize that, yes, my vote can count and that if we get together our voices can be heard," says first-year science student Kevin Ma at the University of Alberta in Edmonton.

All across campus, students are buzzing about voting. The U of A is one of 10 universities across the country that will allow voting on campus.

Political professor Laurie Adkin points out that Alberta has been changing for some time now, and the politics may just be catching up.

"Alberta has had this kind of populist conservative orientation for many decades that is now changing because of the net in-migration of people," she says.

The province's population has jumped to four million from three million since 2000. It's a younger population, the youngest in Canada.

For change seekers, the weakening economy is an opportunity to re-examine the province's focus on the energy sector.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/politics/canada-election-2015-change-in-the-air-alberta-1.3250557
erm, I think this is wishful thinking on the part of whoever wrote the editorial at CBC. Thats no big deal, though. Lots of people bias in favour their wishes.