So who will lead Canada's new minority govt.??

• Total voters

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Appears Harper is slowly, ever so slowly taking the lead in seats. A minority is projected.

CBC News | Éric Grenier's Poll Tracker

CPC NDP LIB BQ GRN OTH
30.7% 29.1% 30.8% 3.7% 4.8% 0.9%
-0.6 +0.2 +0.5 +0.0 -0.2 +0.1

123 seats

The Conservative Party leads with 123 seats and is 47 seats from winning a majority government.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
A minority is not guaranteed. Harper could get another majority just on the virtue of vote splitting.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Whatever happens at the next election, the results will be the same as they have been for decades on decades. Same old pile, different shtt. But it's still shtt.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
A minority is not guaranteed. Harper could get another majority just on the virtue of vote splitting.

Looking at the electoral maps, from 308, where the seats for each party have high numbers, I would disagree. NDP are losing ground in PQ, before that it was Ont where the Libs have increased their seat count, 905 is a critical area for all 3 parities.
Ont IMHO has bad memories of the NDP that linger to this day.
Past elections the Govt who won was dependent upon 35 riding or so.
Cons are losing to the Libs in Atlantic Canada. 10- 12 seats could be lost.

Playing the long game, was Harper's election strategy and it may work. Still 47 seats between now and the election changing on vote splitting, I would say no.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Looking at the electoral maps, from 308, where the seats for each party have high numbers, I would disagree. NDP are losing ground in PQ, before that it was Ont where the Libs have increased their seat count, 905 is a critical area for all 3 parities.

Playing the long game, was Harper's election strategy and it may work. Still 47 seats between now and the election changing on vote splitting, I would say no.

If it isn't a concern, then these people are spending a lot of money for nothing.

Vote Together

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Whatever happens at the next election, the results will be the same as they have been for decades on decades. Same old pile, different shtt. But it's still shtt.

If you don't like our democratic system, why don't you leave?

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Democratic? Those with a min or 40 % of the vote Govern?
try to be nice.
Who said it was perfect?

Don't like it, change it, but don't bitch !! Changes are also part of our democratic system.

Know of a better system?

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007

We now have 338 seats to fight for.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Many people like to repeat past mistakes in hope of getting a different answer. BC had two disastrous bouts of dipper mismanagement and yet there are still people that lived through them that are quite willing to foist that disaster on the whole country.

Who said it was perfect?

Don't like it, change it, but don't bitch !! Changes are also part of our democratic system.

Know of a better system?

Yep. Make me emperor.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
It doesn't matter who leads if it is a minority government as Libs and NDP will vote together against every conbot policy.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Yes and then we will have another election costing tax payers millions ...

Not if they both agree it would prevent a Harper majority and they want to maintain control.

Cons can say whatever they want. Without majority support for an election call it doesn't matter.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
In a way, I agree.

It can lead to actual cooperation and prevent some ridiculous ideological positions like a 'tax lock'.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Not if they both agree it would prevent a Harper majority and they want to maintain control.

Cons can say whatever they want. Without majority support for an election call it doesn't matter.

NDP are losing support in Quebec to the Cons and Libs.

Poll Tracker: Conservatives gain at NDP expense in Quebec, Ontario - Politics - CBC News

Libs and NDP have taken - projected- seats from Cons, but the NDP support started dropping in Ontario a few weeks back. Bob Rae still leaves a bad taste.
Harper worked with minorities before. Appears he will do so again.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It doesn't matter who leads if it is a minority government as Libs and NDP will vote together against every conbot policy.

No doubt about that. Proving neither one of them is interested in what is best for Canada but only in grabbing custody of the taxpayer's chequebook.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
If you don't like our democratic system, why don't you leave?
Democratic? hahaha
Canada is only democratic during elections and other rare occasions (like referendums, for instance). Mostly we live in a dictatorship.
Anyways, I like living where I am.
No place is perfect and so far the political idiocy that exists within Canada is only a small part of the whole. For the most part, the politics of Canada does not affect me.