Robert Fisk explains why Canada should abandon ISIS war

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
He’s been covering the region for more than 35 years. Based in Beirut, he goes regularly into Syria. Earlier this year, he spent nine days travelling along the front lines of that country’s bitter civil war.

When it comes to knowing the region, he's it. Naturally, a lot of his attention of late has been focused on ISIS and the West's air war against the Islamist movement that Fisk describes as a "cult."

His take on our "coalition" air war is that we should just shut it down, it's not working. In Fisk's opinion the key to shutting down ISIS (link is external) is getting the Gulf states, especially Saudi Arabia, to clean up their own mess, to take down the monster of their own making.

To Fisk, ISIS is not an ideological movement, however misguided. Rather, it is an emotionless machine — a weapon designed to counter any American shift toward Shiite Iran.
Whose weapon? He didn’t exactly answer that question. But he did say that peace can come only when Gulf states such as Saudi Arabia and Qatar make clear to ISIS that the game is over.

Meanwhile, their military effort is focused on beating the hell out of the Houthis in Yemen who, just coincidentally, are battling al Qaeda and ISIS in their country. In other words, the Saudis and their Sunni allies are flying airstrikes in support of al Qaeda and ISIS forces in Yemen. Yet they're our allies.

As Fisk notes our noble bombing campaign is not having any meaningful impact on ISIS. For all the good we're doing - leaving all the bull**** aside - we might as well pack it in and come home.

Fisk calls the U.S.-led bombing campaign in Iraq and Syria “preposterous.” America, Canada and other nations taking part claim to be targeting so-called command and control centres of the Islamic State (ISIS). But in this war, he says, such centres simply don’t exist.

“I don’t think the U.S. is serious,” he says. “Very occasionally, you can hear the rumble of American bombs. But they’re certainly not having much effect.”

Nor is he optimistic about Western efforts to train Iraqi, Kurdish and Syrian ground forces to fight the Islamic State.

Persuading locals to fight the West’s wars is a traditional strategy in the Middle East, he notes. But this one isn’t working.

Iraqi Kurds, including those trained by Canadian soldiers, have held their ground. But they have not been able to make major advances against ISIS.

Attempts to arm and train so-called Syrian moderates have flopped miserably. A top U.S. general admitted to Congress last week that after a year’s effort, only “four or five” American-armed moderate rebels are still left fighting ISIS in Syria.

The aim had been to train 5,000.

Fisk speculates that America is getting ready to draw away from Sunni Gulf states and instead re-forge its historic ties with Shiite Iran
This is the context for the spectacular and unexpected rise of yet another Wahabi-inspired fighting group — ISIS.

Journalist Robert Fisk explains why Canada should abandon ISIS war: Walkom | Toronto Star

Cost of Canada’s mission in Iraq, Syria will hit $528 million in coming year

Cost of Canada’s mission in Iraq, Syria will hit $528 million in coming year | Toronto Star

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
ISIS is very dangerous to Eurasia, they are the first wave of the Western invasion of that continent. All the CSTO countrys know this and will oppose every effort to take down Syria. They know the 3rd world war is already 15 physical years of reality. The advance through Ukraine is in tatters as the Ukrainians scatter from the press gangs. Desertion is over 40%. Many doubt that they'll even be able to secure the American missile sights. So Syria is the line on the continent that must be crossed by the west and must be held by Russia and company.
Israel will destroy some western city with a long hidden embassey bomb and set off armageddon.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
How about not getting into wars period because "War remains the decisive human failure." - J K Galbraith

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
How about not getting into wars period because "War remains the decisive human failure." - J K Galbraith
War is the western economy. A human failure for sure but a business bonanza ,a very efficient way to aquire wealth, just sieze it by force of arms and the land it's on and drive its people into the salt mines.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

selfsame

Time Out
Jul 13, 2015
He’s been covering the region for more than 35 years. Based in Beirut, he goes regularly into Syria. Earlier this year, he spent nine days travelling along the front lines of that country’s bitter civil war.

Fisk is a Jew, this is to be observed.
Anyhow, it is his opinion.
I think it is wrong and very wrong.

IMO, US and others are playing; if they are serious: is it Hilter's Germany which they are fighting?
As I said: Tel Aviv and the US brought this group to combat the ruler of Syria, without Russia may object. All the rest is just a play.

This is my impression: God is the All-Knowing.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Fisk is a Jew, this is to be observed.
Anyhow, it is his opinion.
I think it is wrong and very wrong.

IMO, US and others are playing; if they are serious: is it Hilter's Germany which they are fighting?
As I said: Tel Aviv and the US brought this group to combat the ruler of Syria, without Russia may object. All the rest is just a play.

This is my impression: God is the All-Knowing.

and IMO opinion you fu ck donkeys, so what's your point?

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Fisk is only partly right. We should stay completely away from the mess called the Middle East. That includes fighting, aid, taking in refugees or immigrants from the region. Screw it all. I'm sick of one ideology always wanting to get in the middle of it and I'm sick of the other ideology insisting we import those problems to Canada.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I agree we should abandon Israel and let the genuine Semites take care of the problem any way they want to.

The "genuine semites" have tried numerous times since 1948 and have had their collective a$$es kicked every time. That is why Israel is now so much larger than what the original U.N. partition was.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Really? You need a history lesson. For the lazy you can skip to the 6:00 mark.

I agree we should abandon Israel and let the genuine Semites take care of the problem any way they want to.
The right of return of the existing refugees would fix it all and not one Jew would be forced out of the area.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
and if the end doesn't happen in 22-23? what then? You revise your numbers and dates? Like so many have in the past?