City Hall's out for the summer

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
City Hall's out for the summer
By Don Peat, City Hall Bureau Chief First posted: Sunday, August 23, 2015 08:30 PM EDT | Updated: Monday, August 24, 2015 01:40 PM EDT
Welcome to Mayor John Tory’s nightmare.

A picture of Tory dressed up as shock rocker Alice Cooper for a costume party on Saturday night shows off a wilder side of Toronto’s normally button-down mayor — and proves City Hall is definitely out for summer.

Although the mayor’s spokesman shared the photo of him dressed as the “Godfather of Shock Rock” on social media on Saturday night, Tory would neither confirm nor deny it was him letting his wig of black curly hair down.

“There was a party held last night in Keswick, Ont. It is held once every two years and if there are proceeds they will be used to buy a new lawn mower for a small golf course nearby,” Tory said Sunday in a tongue-in-cheek e-mail.

According to Tory, the theme of the party was “So you want to be a rock star” and various “stars” showed up including Elvis, Janis Joplin, Axl Rose and Alice Cooper.

“Mr. Cooper was playing a gig at the Air Canada Centre Saturday night which may explain his attendance and the photo,” Tory said.

“I was in attendance at the party but as is customary I do not comment on my dress. Where would it stop — boxers or briefs?”

Tory confirmed he did “encounter Mr. Cooper during the evening.”

At one point during the party, there was a karaoke performance of "Sweet Child O' Mine" by the mayor in his Cooper costume and whoever was dressed up as Guns N' Roses.

"There were none of Mr. Cooper's shock tactics employed. No small animals or guillotines were involved," Tory stressed. "The karaoke machine did not have Mr. Cooper's smash hit 'School's Out for Summer' which was very unfortunate as it is a favourite of mine."

The mayor declined to disclose any further details on his night out as a rock icon.

"Other than that I have no comment," he concluded.
Mayor John Tory dressed as rocker Alice Cooper (Courtesy of the mayor's office)

City Hall's out for the summer | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun