National Post pulls column by dingbat attwood

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Justin LingVerified account ‏@Justin_Ling

Ok, this Atwood column is terrible, but I'm not sure I understand why the Post pulled it.

Margaret Atwood: Hair is in the election-season air, but is it crucial to the question of your vote?

Hair is in the election-season air. I didn’t put it there – those attack ads on Mr. Trudeau introduced the subject, with “Nice hair, Justin” – but now that the hairball has been coughed up, so to speak, let’s consider it.

Hair is a big deal. People spend a lot of time worrying about their hair and a lot of money altering it. Some sculpt it, some dye it, some shave it off. Some hide it under scarves and hats because God, in his or her many forms, has taken a serious interest in hair – telling people to grow it, conceal it, cut it, refrain from cutting it, wear a wig in place of it, not let Delilah hack it off, and so on. Some are born with hair, some achieve hair, and some have hair thrust upon them through laws and customs. Some hair goes missing, leaving either a Mr. Clean macho look or a bowling-ball one, as with Mr. Duffy. Some hair is curly, some is straight. Luck of the draw.

Fashion can be a cruel taskmistress, hair-wise. Many are the photos of us with odd hair from former times that we presently seek to conceal. (Ducktails? Beatles bangs? Flowing hippy locks?) My own hair can be interpreted as “Pre-Raphaelite” or “frizzy” depending on the hostility level of the interviewer. I’ve lived through those 50s smoothening adventures with a product called Dippity Do as well as the nightmare straight-hair Twiggy years of the late 60s, which involved other failed processes. After that I gave up.

more mad here

Margaret Atwood: Hair is in the election-season air, but is it crucial to the question of your vote? | National Post

shoulda let others see how she's losing it man. :lol:

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
On this one I give credit to the PostSunMedia for reposting an article that points out how childish the whole 'hair' focus of the CONS long running attack ad is on Justin.

I don't know if they re-posted it because people already saw it, but it's back and the comments section is still open even though there has been over 2,500 comments posted. And that is very telling because I have noticed a trend lately with the Toronto Star and Sun of closing the comments section 'early' if the majority of comments are against the subject.

Take this obvious piece from today's Star, which is written by someone from Quebec, where the NDP have a commanding lead in where the Libs have zero chance of gaining any more support, which has closed the comments section after only 155........

How Trudeau is winning hearts and minds

A new poll shows the Liberal leader is making significant gains. Here are some of his secrets to success.

Commenting is now closed.
There are 155 comments. Hide comments.

How Trudeau is winning hearts and minds | Toronto Star

Even the Globe and Mails comment section is still open with over 500 already for a review of John Ibbitson's less than flattering excerpts of Ibbitson's new Harper biography, "Stephen Harper, The Making of a Prime Minister," .

Let's be blunt. John Ibbitson is probably the most prominent journalist in Canada totally in the bag for Stephen Harper.

There are disagreeable aspects to Stephen Harper’s personality. He is prone to mood swings. He can fly off the handle. He goes into funks, sometimes for long periods. He is suspicious of others. The public is aware of these traits mostly through what’s written and reported in the media. In public, Harper is almost invariably calm, measured, and careful in what he says and how he says it. Yet none of us, watching him, have any difficulty believing that this closed, repressed personality is capable of lashing out from time to time. We all get the vibe. His personality also comes out in the tactics that the Conservative Party uses against its enemies, both perceived and real – which are, in a word, ruthless.

Stephen Harper: The making of a prime minister - The Globe and Mail

I really noticed this new trend at the Star on their Pro Olympic Bid stories systematically shutting down anti-Olympic comments?

Every story I could find on a possible Toronto bid has had it comments closed.

Oddly, the overwhelming majority of comments are unreservedly negative.

August 13 (link is external), 37 comments, closed.

August 12 (link is external) 6 comments, closed.

August 12 (link is external), 57 comments, closed.

August 12 (link is external), 12 comments, closed.

August 12, Royson James (link is external), 16 comments, closed. The most recent comment is dated "10 days ago," which would be before the dateline, but whatever.

August 6 (link is external), a poll showing Torontonians want Olympics but ONLY IF they don't have to pay for them, 133 comments, closed.

August 1 (link is external), 104 comments, closed.

And, perhaps not co-incidentally, comments on stories about what many see as an alternative to 2024 Olympics, Expo 2025, are also being slammed shut when they go negative.

Expo stories

July 25, 37 comments, mostly negative about Olympics, closed.

July 28 (link is external), 45 comments, mostly negative about Expo, closed.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I realize it is a duplicate post (since I have commented on the other one) and it is the original thread but my response to this one deals with the headline 'Nat Post Pulls column' to give the Nat Post credit for re-posting it and allowing the comments section to remain open.

It is my critique of the newspapers and their obvious bias on subjects to which in this case, the Nat Post has redeemed themselves.......

UPDATE

National Post’s senior vice-president Gerry Nott explained the pulling of the column this way: “Senior editorial leadership at Postmedia had not concluded whether the column was aligned with the values of the National Post and its readers.”

The National Post has, since its founding in 1998 by Conrad Black, been a conservative and libertarian leaning paper. Current CEO Paul Godfrey is also connected to the Ontario Progressive Conservative Party.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ishmaeldaro/the-national-post-unpublished-a-margaret-atwood-column