Albertans more obese and overweight than national average: report

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Almericans

Six out of 10 adult Albertans are overweight or obese, compared to five out of 10 Canadians, says a new report from the Health Quality Council of Alberta.

The council conducted the survey of 4,424 people in 2014, in which adults self-reported their height and weight to calculate their body mass index, and answered questions about their use and satisfaction with health care services.

The study found 35 per cent of respondents were overweight and 24 per cent were obese. Men between the ages of 45 and 64 and people living in the northern Alberta were more likely to be obese or overweight.

“The rise in obesity is a worldwide public health issue, and is associated with an increased risk of chronic disease and more frequent use of health care services,” Dr. Tony Fields, board chairman for the Health Quality Council of Alberta, said in a news release.

People living in Edmonton and surrounding communities, and Calgary and surrounding communities, reported the lowest rates of obesity.

People surveyed who were overweight or obese reported using the health care system for “more serious and ongoing issues,” and said they had a lower quality of life.

Managing overweight and obese people falls mainly on primary health care providers, the report found.

Primary care providers “are the appropriate access point for people to have those conversations to get the help that they need,” said Andrew Neuner, CEO of the Health Quality Council of Alberta.

“They have a particular interest in promotion and prevention and keeping people healthy, and they’re well connected to the resources in communities,” he said.

The province should evaluate existing weight-management strategies and work toward a “more unified strategy” for weight management, the report found.

Extra weight is associated with an increased risk of multiple chronic conditions, including arthritis, diabetes, high blood pressure, congestive heart failure, and chronic pain.

The council, which works with both Alberta Health, Alberta Health Services and health professionals, is designed to promote and improve patient safety and health service quality.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
Is that it? They couldn't provide a better analysis than that? Where are the most chronically obese people concentrated? Is there a connection to standard of living? Salary? Being up rooted from their home province?

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Not just fat but stupid & arrogant IME.

I had the misfortune to shuttle some of those lardarses from YVR to their company office last week-the springs on my truck were groaning from the load-plus they were supremely jealous of the gorgeous scenery refusing to look @ anything but each other's bloated mugs and regaling each other with tales of life in Edmonchuk that subarctic sh!tsmear on the tundra.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
we eat a lot of meat,not all Albertans but us or may I say,"I" who lives in a rural area.I have become bored,where I live,one has to have an imagination for occupation of time and pleasure.Mine is the kitchen and the art of entertainment and hospitality. I wish I lived across from a pool,rec centre,walking trails,or had ready access to attend yoga classes on a regular schedule, but this is not where I live.To fill my time,I have taken up the pleasure of cooking,baking and eating my creations,this is not good for the waist line,to make matters worse,(for the first time),I pulled the ligiments in my right ankle last year,immobility,60,and for the love of bread was difficult on my expanding waistline.
Don't get me wrong,I like recreation,I have walked these hills many times,know these hills very well, to the point of silly boredom.To make walking matters worse,I now have a full fledged highway running by my country door,so safety is a huge factor for walking the highway.No longer can I take my dogs and this is a disappointment. I have to drive somewhere else to have peace of mind of walking.I like in home excercising,and have lots of things to rotate my interests of fitness.I never thought my activity was the issue,I have always known I am a big portion eater. I love food,the kitchen,and more so hate housework.
My occupation does not run a 9 to 5 time frame,sometimes my eating habits have direct correlation with my shift work.Night shifts can carb starve me.
I have had fantasies about far away places which would instill self discipline in my daily routine,and remove me from my beloved kitchen,how easy it would be to think simple for supper.
I thought about reentering politics in a community capacity,so time and commitment would take me away from the kitchen,then again would I be happy.
my husband and I have created a life filled with celebration and happiness,and unfortunately food is a heavy part of our lifestyle,this is why we are 30 poundsplus overweight.
my genes are on the fuller figure side.

anyone have a political job for me?