So the NDP Really Do Want to Keep the Child Benefit Cheques

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
When I first read that headline several months ago, I chuckled, because it sounded like Mulcair and the NDP wanted to actually keep the cheques for themselves. Now it turns out, they really do. They are asking parents who don’t need the Universal Child Care Cheques to give the money to them. I don’t even think the Conservatives would stoop that low.

First off, most Canadians do need the cheque, and if they don’t need the money right now, it could be put away for their children’s education.

There’s a reason it’s called a child care cheque. It’s for the child.

For those lucky enough to not have to worry about their children’s future, it could be donated to a children’s charity. It would be a great lesson, having them realize that not everyone is as lucky as they are.

I know an election campaign is expensive, and that the party is still facing a hefty 2.7 million dollar debt to the Canadian public, over their misguided and deceptive “pooling” adventure, but the optics of this are bad.

Besides if they are taking the position that this a Conservative scheme, and not as good as it appears, why would they want to continue it?

But enough of that.

$15.00 a Day NDP Daycare Plan

In a discussion over the NDP soliciting children for money, many have said that it’s in their best interest because of the party’s proposed daycare plan. However, that plan is as flawed as the UCCB.

In 2003, when the Charest Liberals (of which Mulcair was a part), gained power, John Ibbitson covered it for the Globe and Mail.

He saw turmoil ahead, not unlike that experienced in Ontario under Mike Harris, and Alberta under Ralph Klein, since the party had run on a tough neoliberal platform.

more at this handy dandy little blog:

https://ifyouknewthomas.wordpress.com/

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Actually the plan is better as a national day care plan and many families including those with
means would support it. There are two views and the debate should be about how to make the
money do the most good not become a mud sling for the hell of it.
I make no bones about it since bill C-51 I am left without a choice but to support Mulcair he said NO.
Harper and his little buddy Justin voted in favor. C-51 is about the essence of democracy and descent
and I don't trust the Liberals who supported it or the Conservatives who drafted it with free reign of
the power on this.
The child benefit is another in the same old scams as the Liberals used to do in the sixties.
The trouble is with all these parties they get a little power criticizing each other then they begin to
behave like each other.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Actually the plan is better as a national day care plan and many families including those with
means would support it. There are two views and the debate should be about how to make the
money do the most good not become a mud sling for the hell of it.
I make no bones about it since bill C-51 I am left without a choice but to support Mulcair he said NO.
Harper and his little buddy Justin voted in favor. C-51 is about the essence of democracy and descent
and I don't trust the Liberals who supported it or the Conservatives who drafted it with free reign of
the power on this.
The child benefit is another in the same old scams as the Liberals used to do in the sixties.
The trouble is with all these parties they get a little power criticizing each other then they begin to
behave like each other.

Cash to the family is probably better than any subsidized day care, which is just a breeding ground for bureaucraps. It give the family flexibility - maybe granny looks after the kids and wouldn't mind a couple of bucks or it could give the mother an opportunity to switch from full time work to part time work or any of a dozen other scenarios.