About that Canadian economy...

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Manny Montenegrino ‏@manny_ottawa

I know Media & Liberals keen to set negative narrative on view of Economy But you are Wrong!

Global Publics: Economic Conditions Are Bad

But Positive Sentiment Rebounding in Europe, Japan, U.S.

Seven years after the beginning of the global financial crisis, a Pew Research Center survey of 40 nations finds that publics in fewer than half the countries have a positive view of their economy. A median of just 40% in advanced economies say economic conditions are good, as do 45% in emerging economies and 46% in developing nations. Such overall sentiment is largely unchanged from economic sentiment in comparable countries in 2014.

However, the survey also finds that people in emerging economies and developing countries are more likely than publics in advanced economies to believe that economic conditions will improve over the next 12 months. And while only about a quarter of publics in advanced economies think that those in the next generation will be better off financially than their parents, about half or more of respondents in emerging and developing countries see a bright future for the next generation.

read all about it:

Global Publics: Economic Conditions Are Bad | Pew Research Center

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I expect that if you live in Alberta or Saskatchewan and see you world falling apart around you, you would extend that to the rest of the country. Yes, it is true that some Provinces have run up ridiculous deficits and we are always told that it is an unexploded timebomb but most of the Western World (USA included is bizarrely highly indebted ... to ourselves for the most part and the Apocalypse doesn't appear to be nigh. Canada is doing just fine. I live in the industrial heartland, work in manufacturing (as I have done since 1986 without any period of unemployment) and the highways are jammed, the mnalls are full and the place never stops day or night. I suspect that if you amputated the "petro" part of the economy right now, we wouldn't be in recession. Most Canadians do not extract oil for a living and it is just one facit of a complex, mature economy.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I expect that if you live in Alberta or Saskatchewan and see you world falling apart around you, you would extend that to the rest of the country. Yes, it is true that some Provinces have run up ridiculous deficits and we are always told that it is an unexploded timebomb but most of the Western World (USA included is bizarrely highly indebted ... to ourselves for the most part and the Apocalypse doesn't appear to be nigh. Canada is doing just fine. I live in the industrial heartland, work in manufacturing (as I have done since 1986 without any period of unemployment) and the highways are jammed, the mnalls are full and the place never stops day or night. I suspect that if you amputated the "petro" part of the economy right now, we wouldn't be in recession. Most Canadians do not extract oil for a living and it is just one facit of a complex, mature economy.

I suppose we might be close to where we were in 1947.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Manny Montenegrino ‏@manny_ottawa

I know Media & Liberals keen to set negative narrative on view of Economy But you are Wrong!

Global Publics: Economic Conditions Are Bad

But Positive Sentiment Rebounding in Europe, Japan, U.S.

Seven years after the beginning of the global financial crisis, a Pew Research Center survey of 40 nations finds that publics in fewer than half the countries have a positive view of their economy. A median of just 40% in advanced economies say economic conditions are good, as do 45% in emerging economies and 46% in developing nations. Such overall sentiment is largely unchanged from economic sentiment in comparable countries in 2014.

However, the survey also finds that people in emerging economies and developing countries are more likely than publics in advanced economies to believe that economic conditions will improve over the next 12 months. And while only about a quarter of publics in advanced economies think that those in the next generation will be better off financially than their parents, about half or more of respondents in emerging and developing countries see a bright future for the next generation.

read all about it:

Global Publics: Economic Conditions Are Bad | Pew Research Center

I don't see how that map is very credible as Greece's economy which is rated as horrible, shows as white on the map. I'd also question the U.S. as rated poor. Ethiopia is rated second to China. I think that map is a crock of B.S. :) :) Did Mulcair draw it up?

Sons of Liberty

Walks on Water
Aug 24, 2010
Evil Empire
Locutus, The Pew Research Center publishes public opinion polls. What you posted is how populations perceive their respective economies. I would say not very credible?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
How we perceive that we are doing is likely a big part of it. There is no objective measure of any of this. We subjectively decide what to measure, usually to make our point.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
The world's economies are a disaster! Debt is the biggest hindrance to any economy and with more and more Provinces and countries going in deeper, it will be a matter of time until it catches up with them.
People will not cut back and economize once they have experienced living high on the hog. The borrowing has to continue to keep providing the services and benefits they are used. to.
It's a 'no-win' situation to go into deficit in these times. The borrowers count on the economy improving to cover the interest and future debt repayment but that's like playing the lottery; not likely to happen!
We see people here striking for more money when they are lucky to just be hanging on to their jobs. People need to learn that sometimes it's necessary to cut back.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The world's economies are a disaster! Debt is the biggest hindrance to any economy and with more and more Provinces and countries going in deeper, it will be a matter of time until it catches up with them.
People will not cut back and economize once they have experienced living high on the hog. The borrowing has to continue to keep providing the services and benefits they are used. to.
It's a 'no-win' situation to go into deficit in these times. The borrowers count on the economy improving to cover the interest and future debt repayment but that's like playing the lottery; not likely to happen!
We see people here striking for more money when they are lucky to just be hanging on to their jobs. People need to learn that sometimes it's necessary to cut back.

People also need to learn you can't suck and blow at the same time. Everyone wants services, even free lunches in the schools if you can imagine and then when the leader of the country goes into debt they bitch about that. I'd bet if I just added up the cost of all the tattoos I see in this city, it would equate to about ten years of lunches. We can afford tattoos but we can't afford to eat.............lovely! Just the cost of cable and internet today outstrips the entire family budget when I was a kid. Everyone criticises Harper's debt load but they don't stop to think that his $s are actually nickels. When I first started work a cup of coffee was a dime!

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
looks like they are happy as crap that we helped em grow a democracy in Ukraine