The Official Contempt for Alberta Thread


mentalfloss
#1
Nexen pipeline leak in Alberta spills 5 million litres

One of the largest leaks in Alberta history has spilled about five million litres of emulsion from a Nexen Energy pipeline at the company's Long Lake oilsands facility south of Fort McMurray.

The leak was discovered Wednesday afternoon.

Nexen said in a statement its emergency response plan has been activated and personnel were onsite. The leak has been stabilized, the company said.

The spill covered an area of about 16,000 square metres, mostly within the pipeline corridor, the company said. Emulsion is a mixture of bitumen, water and sand.

The pipeline that leaked is called a "feeder" and runs from a wellhead to the processing plant.

"All necessary steps and precautions have been taken, and Nexen will continue to utilize all its resources to protect the health and safety of our employees, contractors, the public and the environment, and to contain and clean up the spill," the company said in the statement issued Thursday.

Peter Murchland, public affairs manager for the Alberta Energy Regulator, said officials were notified late Wednesday and had staff onsite Thursday to work with Nexen.

"My understanding is that the pipeline and pad site had been isolated and shut-in earlier today, effectively stopping the source of the release," Murchland said

Nexen has contained the leak and started cleaning up the area, he said. There was no word on how long that might take.

"They go through a cleanup phase in accordance with the regulations set by the AER," he said. "And we'll have our subject-matter experts work alongside the operator, today and going forward, to make sure that safety and environmental requirements are met."

...more dirty..

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/edmo...tres-1.3155907
 
Walter
+2 / -1
#2
Have you stopped driving or stopped using plastic?
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+2
#3
emulsions are non-soluable in water.... Super extra easy to clean-up and deal with
 
petros
+2
#4
Scoop it up, precipitate minerals and organics in water and solvents and voila, back into system.
 
grainfedpraiboy
+1
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

Have you stopped driving or stopped using plastic?

What an asinine point.
 
mentalfloss
+1 / -1
#6
He also believes a free market is by nature a good one and that kind of naivety is extra special.
 
petros
#7
You want protectionism?
 
damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
+1
#8
Spills happen, it is not that there is a spill it is what the company does about it
This company is taking responsibility and making an effort even apologizing
What more can be asked unlike the Enron crowd who shirk their responsibility
in the past.
 
petros
#9
It must be because it is Chinese owned eh?
 
mentalfloss
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

You want protectionism?

No, regulation.

On a person basis, we are continuing to incur larger debt with no recourse of paying back because we are opening things up.

People in this country are generally poor with how they handle their own money.

On an international scale, the idea of trade is fine, but we still have places like Mexico and China which are taking away business from other countries because wages there are criminally low.

So this isn't just a local thing.

Free trade is a global human rights issue.
 
petros
+1
#11
Like?

Yeah people are clueless.

Mexico isn't stealing any western manufacturing. Why is that?
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

No, regulation.

Got lots of that already

Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

On a person basis, we are continuing to incur larger debt with no recourse of paying back because we are opening things up.

'Because we are opening things up'?

Have you not put together that the debt Canada and the Provinces have incurred is due to the insatiable appetite of Canadians for freebies?

Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

People in this country are generally poor with how they handle their own money.

Are you suggesting that we legislate how people spend their cash?

Stalin et al have tried... And failed

Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

On an international scale, the idea of trade is fine, but we still have places like Mexico and China which are taking away business from other countries because wages there are criminally low.

Relativity Flossy... Relativity.

By your metric, the cost of housing in Mexico and China must also be 'criminally low'

Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

So this isn't just a local thing.

Hence the use of the word 'global'

Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Free trade is a global human rights issue.

trying to understand your point here... Are you saying that the ability to trade globally is a human right?
 
CDNBear
#13
His communist bent is just peeking out from behind his façade is all.
 
petros
+1
#14
Says he doesn't want protectionism but wants protectionism. WTF?
 
mentalfloss
+1
#15
Regulations are just meant to couch things a bit.

If you look at 2008, part of the reason why we weren't as strongly affected was because banks were better regulated here.
 
CDNBear
+1
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Regulations are just meant to couch things a bit.

The regulations you dream of are industry killing.
 
petros
#17
Is that really why?
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Regulations are just meant to couch things a bit.

That's your professional opinion as someone that has spent years in these industries?

Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

If you look at 2008, part of the reason why we weren't as strongly affected was because banks were better regulated here.

Bloody Harper!... How dare he do such a thing?
 
mentalfloss
-1
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

The regulations you dream of are industry killing.

Now here's a real example of doom and gloom.
 
petros
#20
Protectionism is the economic policy of restraining trade between states (countries) through methods such as tariffs on imported goods, restrictive quotas, and a variety of other government regulations designed to allow (according to proponents) fair competition between imports and goods and services produced ...


This policy contrasts with free trade, where government barriers to trade are kept to a minimum. In recent years, protectionism has become closely aligned with anti-globalization and anti-immigration. The term is mostly used in the context of economics, where protectionism refers to policies or doctrines which protect businesses and workers within a country by restricting or regulating trade with foreign nations.[1]


Protectionism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protectionism (external - login to view)


Oopsies, they forgot subsidies
 
CDNBear
+2
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

That's your professional opinion as someone that has spent years in these industries?

Bwaaahahaha!!!

Quote:

Bloody Harper!... How dare he do such a thing?

Easy now, lets not pretend Harper was writing Banking policies in Canada long before he took office.

Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Now here's a real example of doom and gloom.

Really?

I give you Ontario.

*drops mic*
 
petros
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Now here's a real example of doom and gloom.

See above.
 
mentalfloss
-1
#23
You guys make it sound like reasonable regulations are a bad thing.
 
CDNBear
+2
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

You guys make it sound like reasonable regulations are a bad thing.

Reasonable regulations are a good thing.

You don't support reasonable regulations.
 
mentalfloss
#25
How?
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+3
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

You guys make it sound like reasonable regulations are a bad thing.

My question still stands... What direct and tangible experience do you have in judging what are 'reasonable' regulations?

Much like the watery phrase of 'fair share', is a continually moving target
 
CDNBear
+3
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

How?

By continuously posting your doom and gloom crap, while pretending to be fair and balanced, and non partisan.
 
petros
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

How?

You want protectionism.
 
mentalfloss
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

My question still stands... What direct and tangible experience do you have in judging what are 'reasonable' regulations?

Much like the watery phrase of 'fair share', is a continually moving target

Of course things are a moving target.

But we begin to learn about minimum standards for things like wages, for example.
 
CDNBear
#30
Speaking of moving targets.
 

Similar Threads

24
Official Canadian Artists Thread
by mentalfloss | Oct 2nd, 2011
43
The Official Bear's anti UN thread...
by CDNBear | Jan 2nd, 2011
no new posts