Liberal MP Joyce Murray says sorry for "sobriety" ad aimed at aboriginal grads

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Liberal MP Joyce Murray says sorry for "sobriety" ad aimed at aboriginal grads

An advertisement in a First Nations newspaper has landed the Liberal MP for Vancouver Quadra in hot water.

The ad picturing Joyce Murray and encouraging "sobriety" for aboriginal high-school graduates ran in the First Nations Drum, which describes itself as "Canada's Largest First Nations Newspaper".

Jacqui Gingras, the NDP candidate for North Okanagan-Shuswap, questioned the ad on Twitter.

more

Liberal MP Joyce Murray says sorry for "sobriety" ad aimed at aboriginal grads | Georgia Straight Vancouver's News & Entertainment Weekly

MellencampFan

Nominee Member
Jul 13, 2015
Niagara Peninsula
Re: Liberal MP Joyce Murray says sorry for "sobriety" ad aimed at aboriginal grads

I wonder why a Liberal even mentioned sobriety. I mean you should assume college grads know that being sober or at least controlling your drinking, is important.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Re: Liberal MP Joyce Murray says sorry for "sobriety" ad aimed at aboriginal grads

Is her statement wrong?

Huffing propane, dropping out and being lazy will lead to success?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

I wonder why a Liberal even mentioned sobriety. I mean you should assume college grads know that being sober or at least controlling your drinking, is important.

It's not aimed at college grads. It's aimed at high school grads. Maybe you should look up the stats for teen deaths due to alcohol. Then, maybe, you should look up the stats for when those teens are aboriginal.

oh, and also, they are "upset" because she put the ad out? What about the ABORIGINAL newspaper that published the ad? Were the poor babies that had their feewings hurt get upset with the paper? Of course not. The paper is aboriginal, where as the MP is white.

MellencampFan

Nominee Member
Jul 13, 2015
Niagara Peninsula

It's not aimed at college grads. It's aimed at high school grads. Maybe you should look up the stats for teen deaths due to alcohol. Then, maybe, you should look up the stats for when those teens are aboriginal.

oh, and also, they are "upset" because she put the ad out? What about the ABORIGINAL newspaper that published the ad? Were the poor babies that had their feewings hurt get upset with the paper? Of course not. The paper is aboriginal, where as the MP is white.

I understand, but alcohol abuse is often used to escape other problems,, saying not to drink alcohol is not going to fix anything. But focusing on the underlying issues is.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

and.... it turns out that the person that wrote the ad, and he works in the sales dept of the paper, is aboriginal.

I understand, but alcohol abuse is often used to escape other problems,, saying not to drink alcohol is not going to fix anything. But focusing on the underlying issues is.

of course, we gotta pamper the substance abuser. Can't be having them take responsibility for their own behaviour.

MellencampFan

Nominee Member
Jul 13, 2015
Niagara Peninsula

and.... it turns out that the person that wrote the ad, and he works in the sales dept of the paper, is aboriginal.

of course, we gotta pamper the substance abuser. Can't be having them take responsibility for their own behaviour.

This si an actual fact, many substance abusers only use it because it's an escape from difficult issues.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

This si an actual fact, many substance abusers only use it because it's an escape from difficult issues.

and they will continue that abuse until they take responsibility for their own actions.

ever heard of "12 steps".... maybe that's something else you should look up.

MellencampFan

Nominee Member
Jul 13, 2015
Niagara Peninsula

and they will continue that abuse until they take responsibility for their own actions.

ever heard of "12 steps".... maybe that's something else you should look up.
I have a recovering addict in my family, 12 steps is religious BS.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Well, I see we have another one that talks out of his a$$ about things he doesn't know. The 12 step program has been modified to encompass those that do not have a belief in God. The religious "b.s." has been removed for those that don't want it. The steps still apply, the steps work, and the big thing is taking responsibility for your actions and not blaming your addiction on someone or something else.

MellencampFan

Nominee Member
Jul 13, 2015
Niagara Peninsula

Well, I see we have another one that talks out of his a$$ about things he doesn't know. The 12 step program has been modified to encompass those that do not have a belief in God. The religious "b.s." has been removed for those that don't want it. The steps still apply, the steps work, and the big thing is taking responsibility for your actions and not blaming your addiction on someone or something else.

No I do not. This guy always talks about a higher power and that he cant do it on his own, the group meetings have become a new addiction too.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

No I do not. This guy always talks about a higher power and that he cant do it on his own, the group meetings have become a new addiction too.

What "guy"?

I pointed out your ignorance when it comes to a/the 12 step program for substance abuse. You having a problem with comprehension to, college boy?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Is her statement wrong?

Huffing propane, dropping out and being lazy will lead to success?

Well, I think it was poorly worded, if it was necessary to get the "sobriety" in there she might have "buried" it in the middle of six attributes- to list it first is just plain dumb! :) (Actually probably not bad advice for all students)

Maybe "Liberal" should be replaced with "politician"!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Well, I think it was poorly worded, if it was necessary to get the "sobriety" in there she might have "buried" it in the middle of six attributes- to list it first is just plain dumb! :) (Actually probably not bad advice for all students)

Geez man, at least read the article. She didn't write it. She didn't approve the copy. It was written by an aboriginal employee of the aboriginal newspaper that it was published in.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

News flash for you- to be a success in life you have to put up with a whole lot of sh*t, including doing a whole lot of sh*t you don't feel like doing. After you've done a bit of it, it's not so hard anymore.

MellencampFan

Nominee Member
Jul 13, 2015
Niagara Peninsula

What "guy"?

I pointed out your ignorance when it comes to a/the 12 step program for substance abuse. You having a problem with comprehension to, college boy?

The guy I know.

I know from a family member, what it does to people.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

The guy I know.

I know from a family member, what it does to people.

And I know from quite a few people, from crack heads to alcoholics how well it works. Even without the "religion".

So, that "family member", are they clean and sober without a 12 step program?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Actually Mellen, it's whatever works, some have gained sobriety through the help of religion, including Bill Wilson, the co founder of A.A. or at least from the help of a "higher power".

MellencampFan

Nominee Member
Jul 13, 2015
Niagara Peninsula

Actually Mellen, it's whatever works, some have gained sobriety through the help of religion, including Bill Wilson, the co founder of A.A. or at least from the help of a "higher power".

I'm sure for some it has. I just happen to be an atheist, anti-theist, and free thinker. My distrust of religion sometimes gets the better of me, guess it's all about a person's mental state though.