Following the (primarily U.S.) money funding Canada’s anti-oil movement

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Cody Battershill ‏@codyincalgary Every Canadian should read this. The truth behind the PR smearing of Canada's natural resources.

It is no coincidence that U.S. foundations are funding a multimillion-dollar campaign against Canadian energy.

Albertan oil has the potential to contribute more than $2 trillion to the national economy over the next 25 years, about $84 billion per year, according to the Canadian Energy Research Institute. Realizing this unparalleled opportunity requires broad-based, public support for pipeline and infrastructure projects that are essential for getting landlocked crude to global markets. For Canada, there is no single economic issue that is more important.

Whether intentional or not, environmental activism is becoming a new form of protectionism.

The greatest obstacle to energy infrastructure projects isn’t technical expertise or financial capital; it’s gridlock due to opposition from strong alliances between environmental organizations and First Nations and their ability to attract media attention and stop or stall development. This gridlock has been fomented by the Tar Sands Campaign, a heavily-funded international initiative launched by the Rockefeller Brothers Fund and the Tides Foundation in 2008.

The explicit goals of the Tar Sands Campaign are to stop expansion of the Canadian oil industry, to reduce demand for oil sands crude in the U.S. and to stop or stall pipeline and port construction.

With a new premier and cabinet, Alberta has a timely opportunity to break the gridlock that risks keeping its oil out of global markets. The challenge is to convincingly make the case that industry is trustworthy and committed to meeting the public’s high expectations for protection of the environment. This will not be easy if the Tar Sands Campaign goes on unabated.

Recent developments indicate, however, that the Tar Sands Campaign is likely to continue and to expand. The same groups that oppose Keystone XL and Northern Gateway are now funded to campaign against Energy East, Line 9, Line 67, Flanagan South, the Seaway and Kinder Morgan Canada Ltd.’s TransMountain pipeline expansion. The Sierra Club claims to have more than 94,000 people who are prepared to engage in civil disobedience and risk arrest to block pipeline construction. In the spirit of better understanding and resolving the gridlock that puts global market access at risk, it’s worth taking a look at who funds the Tar Sands Campaign, and why.

more

Following the (primarily U.S.) money funding Canada's anti-oil movement - Alberta Oil Magazine | Canada's leading source for oil and gas newsAlberta Oil Magazine | Canada's leading source for oil and gas news

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Nice but........they are not telling anyone how the grand kids will live in 30 years or so. Too many immigrants will turn this big country into a scrunched living in a micro house for most. More than numerous rules to follow and enough cops to force mostly adherence, mostly.
I am not a "lets get bigger" fan.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
The protestors are hypocrites and lack integrity and "balls".

They should be targeting Saudi Arabia and Venezuela and the countries that don't have human rights and could care-a-less about the environment. These so-called protestors are too afraid to go up against the tyrants - they want it easy and they want to be paid.

I believe that they are all a bunch of lazy, no good, foundation paid rif raft who don't have a clue what they're actually protesting about. The money being funnelled into these so-called foundations are likely coming from the likes of the Saudis and their ilk. People are too stupid to see what is happening out there and if they shut down our sources of gas and power, they'll be the first to bitch and complain. You watch!!!

JMHO

Think I'll sign off now - I'm in a bitchy mood.....

Just sayin...

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The Sierra Club claims to have more than 94,000 people who are prepared to engage in civil disobedience and risk arrest to block pipeline construction.
Screw arrests. HUGE fines. I'm talking $50K+ fines with a 90 day "pay up deadbeat or I'll break your legs" policy. From there a default of a deuce less a day or good old fashioned John Howard Society community work option at minimum wage equivalents.

Work will set you free!

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The protestors are hypocrites and lack integrity and "balls".

They should be targeting Saudi Arabia and Venezuela and the countries that don't have human rights and could care-a-less about the environment. These so-called protestors are too afraid to go up against the tyrants - they want it easy and they want to be paid.

I believe that they are all a bunch of lazy, no good, foundation paid rif raft who don't have a clue what they're actually protesting about. The money being funnelled into these so-called foundations are likely coming from the likes of the Saudis and their ilk. People are too stupid to see what is happening out there and if they shut down our sources of gas and power, they'll be the first to bitch and complain. You watch!!!
Texaco and Enron are not South American or Muslim enterprises. Perhaps you should determine who did the poluting and killing on their country before you start blaming them.

Syncrude was over billed, plain and simple. Alberta has the same resources available in locations that are kinder to the environment.

Screw arrests. HUGE fines. I'm talking $50K+ fines with a 90 day "pay up deadbeat or I'll break your legs" policy. From there a default of a deuce less a day or good old fashioned John Howard Society community work option at minimum wage equivalents.

Work will set you free!
Let's hope you never get set free.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The world has always run on the powers of special interest. Things in life just aren't going to be fair, rational or right. The best approach for fighting special interest environmentalists is the old fashioned method; buy them off - slip large sums of cash into the hands of their most powerful. The quicker you can get them living high on the hog close to the equator the better things will be for business. When they are sipping martinis on a private island they won't give a hoot about the environment.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Texaco and Enron are not South American or Muslim enterprises. Perhaps you should determine who did the poluting and killing on their country before you start blaming them.

What?? What has Texaco or Enron got to do with countries who do not acknowledge human rights and who don't care about the environment? Oh, I know MZ, it's the anti-corporation thingy again right? I don't believe they are part of the discussion since they don't make the rules and regulations of those particular countries - the tyrants do, so I have no idea what are you talking about?