Sexual Harassment in the military again

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Douchebags.

Royal Military College head apologizes for cadets' behaviour at harassment seminars

The general in charge of Royal Military College apologized to an expert on sexual assault prevention for the "unprofessional behaviour" of the school's cadets, including "several incidents that could constitute harassment," after she was invited to address the military's future leaders last fall.

Brig.-Gen. Al Meinzinger sent a formal written apology to the Ontario Coalition of Rape Crisis Centres in February, five months after its Governor General's Award-winning educator Julie Lalonde complained about being whistled at, cat-called, laughed at and openly disrespected by officer cadets she had been invited to speak to.

Lalonde says cadets at the four Saturday talks she delivered at the military college in Kingston, Ont., were the most hostile audiences she'd had in a career of speaking about sexual assault prevention.

Brig.-Gen. Al Meinzinger addresses cadets and families during Royal Military College of Canada's Commissioning Parade in May. Meinzinger apologized for the conduct of some cadets at sexual harassment awareness talks last fall. (Mary White, DND/Combat Camera)
She says following one especially rowdy session, a third-year cadet made a point of giving Lalonde a visual once-over before dismissing her: "I might have listened to you if you weren't a civilian and a woman."

"The things I heard at the Royal Military College of Canada scared me, to think that people had those kinds of attitudes about women, about sexual violence, about their role as bystanders," Lalonde told CBC News.

"It scared me and I think we should all be frightened to hear about how normalized that attitude is at that school."

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/politics/r...ts-behaviour-at-harassment-seminars-1.3082348

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
The whole thing is disgusting and I have to admit....for me it is shocking and surprising

what happened to these kids?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The whole thing is disgusting and I have to admit....for me it is shocking and surprising

what happened to these kids?
I wish I knew.

But cheer up. They're just cadets, without adult supervision. When they're commissioned, they'll come under the tender loving care of Sergeant-Major. He'll shape up most of 'em.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
he seems to believe that women are inferior, as exhibited by his using it as an insult. Basically he's justed outed himself as a misogynist.

" justed outed himself" hmm ok ...........Nothing generally to do with women, you do not even understand how i was insulting poosey boy, but of course he is your left wing pet so.........
Do you think warriors are made from lil pooseys? Do you believe that officers sit around worrying about being accepted by silly women during war? How would you train them? Tell us how you and flossy would change war with help from the CBC.